Menu
FrusTivo
Joining in
Message 1 of 7
Flag for a moderator

Missing recordings without PDC

Yet again, BBC swaps channels for broadcasting - Sunday GP due on BBC1 moved to BBC2  - and a preset recording failed!  (Well, it actually recorded what had been programmed, only the broadcast had changed!) 

How can the Freeview EPG be maintained dynamically while TiVo sticks with the first thing that was plumbed in?? 

Why was PDC dropped with this introduction of this technological miracle?  

When will it be (re)introduced? 

0 Kudos
Parrotperson
Super solver
Message 2 of 7
Flag for a moderator

Re: Missing recordings without PDC

Not withstanding your complaint which I also find frustrating if you set up a wishlist instead of a series link TiVo will record from any channel. Series links are confined to the channel on which they are set. May help. 

0 Kudos
Superuser
Superuser
Message 3 of 7
Flag for a moderator

The tivo doesn't stick to the 1st thing that was plumbed in, but the BBC must send the revised schedule to Virgin who then must send it to each head end and it's squirted out to the Tivo when they auto update, now if it's too close to the time that the reschedule occurs most of the tivos will miss out, but wouldn't it be much better for everyone if the BBC stuck to their programme schedule? mind you if you complain to them about this you will find that they simply don't care

0 Kudos
FrusTivo
Joining in
Message 4 of 7
Flag for a moderator

Of course I didn't think it could be a Virgin Media problem ... I wonder how the EPG on Freeview manages to keep up.  

Whatever happened to PDC?  Surely that would deal with such problems - including the BBC1 programmes scheduled to start after the news / weather around 10:35pm every weekday that NEVER start on time.  (Yes, I have learned to extend those recordings by 15 minutes, but this should not be necessary - just as it wasn't on my antique VCR!) 

0 Kudos
thanks4nothing
Fibre optic
Message 5 of 7
Flag for a moderator

FrusTivo wrote:

Of course I didn't think it could be a Virgin Media problem ... I wonder how the EPG on Freeview manages to keep up.  

Whatever happened to PDC?  Surely that would deal with such problems - including the BBC1 programmes scheduled to start after the news / weather around 10:35pm every weekday that NEVER start on time.  (Yes, I have learned to extend those recordings by 15 minutes, but this should not be necessary - just as it wasn't on my antique VCR!) 

Most freeview/freesat/sky etc. boxes have "accurate recordings". Recordings start and end when the programs do. My satellite box recorded the F1 no problem at all. I wouldn't trust VM Tivo for something like that though. 

This user has left the community.
0 Kudos
FrusTivo
Joining in
Message 6 of 7
Flag for a moderator

Thanks for the suggestion; I was not aware of this function.  However, just exploring the set up, this is not only the kind of thing that I would expect "Suggestions" to find for me (rather than its usual completely unrelated rubbish ... but enough reference to a previous grumble!) but testing it with the title word "Strictly" shows all instances of the show and Take Two in the "Upcoming" list as well as a couple of programmes without the word anywhere in sight.  Still, thanks again; I've learned something new - and I'm not alone in missing PDC. 

0 Kudos
Superuser
Superuser
Message 7 of 7
Flag for a moderator

FrusTivo wrote:

Yet again, BBC swaps channels for broadcasting - Sunday GP due on BBC1 moved to BBC2  - and a preset recording failed!  (Well, it actually recorded what had been programmed, only the broadcast had changed!) 

How can the Freeview EPG be maintained dynamically while TiVo sticks with the first thing that was plumbed in?? 

Why was PDC dropped with this introduction of this technological miracle?  

When will it be (re)introduced? 

PDC or Programme Delivery Control was fine for programmes that started early/ran late, that is providing the controller in the output suite remembered to hit the button & insert the coding into the analogue teletext signal. However, PDC has never been able to change the channel on which a recording is made. A dynamic EPG is something the TiVO will never have. It has to schedule recordings on 3 seperate tuners. If there are constant updates coming through on, say even 25 of the 200+ channels Virgin provides, the box would be constantly checking & changing schedules, & would end up as slow as old boots. Some people think its bad enough already.

SU1617jpeg.jpg

Cable customer since 1993. Services: FH TV, Sky Sports & Movies (2xV+), Talk Unlim Telco, VIVID 100, Virgin PAYG Mobile

0 Kudos