Menu
walkeja
Joining in
Message 1 of 18
Flag for a moderator

Missed programmes

I have missed two programmes last week due to the fact that Virgin Media refuses to update the programme schedule at short notice. Sky can do it, why can't you?

0 Kudos
japitts
Well-informed
Message 2 of 18
Flag for a moderator

Re: Missed programmes

This has been discussed on here a few times over the years, but this link is as good as anything...

http://community.virginmedia.com/t5/Virgin-Media-TiVo-service/Overrunnig-Live-Programs-TiVo-Can-t-Co...

In short, yes Sky has a dynamic EPG. But it doesn't have the scheduling logic that Tivo has, and the two don't easily co-exist.

frank_gm
Community elder
Message 3 of 18
Flag for a moderator

I have had a Tivo for six years and this type of issue, scheduled programme times changing because broadcasters cannot operate their schedules correctly, has only caused me to miss one programme and that was because, despite guessing that the broadcaster was going to change the schedule, I forgot to take that in to account.

Most nights I have a complex recording schedule set up and I would rather that broadcasters, did anyone mention the BBC, would simply keep to or have realistic schedules rather than have programmes being moved around and thus messing up my recording schedules.

For example, a live football match that has to be settled, e.g. using extra time, or an awards ceremony is likely to overrun. If I can guess that then surely someone in the BBC can do that also and adjust their schedules appropriately. A clue to assist them, schedule a filler programme immediately afterwards rather than a series premiere, for example.

Nice to be able to post again, after their mistake (removed by the Censorship team).
¡No Pasarán!
walkeja
Joining in
Message 4 of 18
Flag for a moderator

Non of these replies are any help whatsoever. Does Virgin Media read these comments and try to improve their service? As I said, Sky can do it, so why not VM?
0 Kudos
frank_gm
Community elder
Message 5 of 18
Flag for a moderator

walkeja wrote:
Non of these replies are any help whatsoever. Does Virgin Media read these comments and try to improve their service? As I said, Sky can do it, so why not VM?

Both replies were extremely helpful and explained the situation. In my opinion, and that of other long-time users, having a dynamic EPG would not be an improvement and, as explained above, would simply bring about other issues. A big no thank you from me.

Nice to be able to post again, after their mistake (removed by the Censorship team).
¡No Pasarán!
walkeja
Joining in
Message 6 of 18
Flag for a moderator

Well, if you think telling me that missing programmes I have asked it to record is normal and that answer is helpful then you have a strange world to live in.

Computers (of which, Tivo is one) are meant to help mankind, not hinder.

Tivo on both of these occasion hindered me. I managed to see the one programme as it is repeated later in the week but the other is completely missed. Telling me this is normal is NOT helpful.

0 Kudos
frank_gm
Community elder
Message 7 of 18
Flag for a moderator

walkeja wrote:

Well, if you think telling me that missing programmes I have asked it to record is normal and that answer is helpful then you have a strange world to live in.

Computers (of which, Tivo is one) are meant to help mankind, not hinder.

Tivo on both of these occasion hindered me. I managed to see the one programme as it is repeated later in the week but the other is completely missed. Telling me this is normal is NOT helpful.

I live in such a "strange world" where, in six years of using the Tivo, I have missed one programme due to schedule changes and I could have anticipated that.

Last-minute EPG updates can hinder, not help, recording schedules. The simple answer is, as is normally the case, the best, i.e. the TV programme schedulers could keep to their published schedules and, when live events are going to get in the way, take proper heed of those timings in advance and adjust the schedules accordingly. 

I have rarely seen a schedule change that could not have been anticipated in advance if only the schedulers had taken the trouble to think things through.

¡No Pasarán!
walkeja
Joining in
Message 8 of 18
Flag for a moderator

The BBC used to take into account of programme overruns but that many people complained to them about programmes being taken off the air because the Cup Final, for example, went to extra time. They obviously decided it was better to keep the scheduled programmes in but run them later. So if Sky can do it, why not Virgin Media. Live in the real world.
0 Kudos
frank_gm
Community elder
Message 9 of 18
Flag for a moderator

walkeja wrote:
The BBC used to take into account of programme overruns but that many people complained to them about programmes being taken off the air because the Cup Final, for example, went to extra time. They obviously decided it was better to keep the scheduled programmes in but run them later. So if Sky can do it, why not Virgin Media. Live in the real world.

I do, that is why I rarely miss programmes even when the BBC mess up their schedules. Have you any evidence for your statement above "that many people complained to them about programmes being taken off the air because the Cup Final"? All that would be required would be to have a filler programme in place that could be dispensed of should the game overrun. They fill out the schedules with such programmes often enough.

To repeat yet again, late changes to the EPG can mess up recording schedules. If Sky is so wonderful then go back to it. 

¡No Pasarán!
japitts
Well-informed
Message 10 of 18
Flag for a moderator

walkeja wrote:

The question of why Sky can do it but Virgin can't, has been answered previously, but I'll copy it again incase you can't see it...

This has been discussed on here a few times over the years, but this link is as good as anything...

http://community.virginmedia.com/t5/Virgin-Media-TiVo-service/Overrunnig-Live-Programs-TiVo-Can-t-Co...

In short, yes Sky has a dynamic EPG. But it doesn't have the scheduling logic that Tivo has, and the two don't easily co-exist.

As frank has mentioned - if you're so unhappy with Virgin's setup and Sky's suits you so well, then perhaps you're better off with another provider. Otherwise this discussion is going to go round in circles....