Menu
6tuners
Tuning in
Message 1 of 10
Flag for a moderator

Misled about the number of tuners in the TIVO box.

Hi all, this is my first post so be kind. I joined a couple of weeks ago and started my journey with a phone fault. I've spent a while trying to figure out why I can only record 2 channels and watch 1. I was told by the installation engineer that the box had 6 tuners. After a couple of weeks of trying and checking various online sources I decided it was time to speak to support. I got onto live chat and had the box updated rebooted etc before being told an engineer would be out. He came today and told me that I'd been misled the box I have has only 3 tuners so I'm getting what the box can deliver. He explained that there is a box in trial that has 6 tuners. So as I convinced my wife to leave Sky for this product how do I get hold of the box I was led to believe I was getting?

Superuser
Superuser
Message 2 of 10
Flag for a moderator

Re: Misled about the number of tuners in the TIVO box.

The older TiVo box has 3 tuners. It's the newly released V6 box that has 6.

I don't know why you were told any differently, but the V6 box is now available for existing customers to order, so it would be worth speaking to Virgin Media to discuss the situation and resolution now available.
I work for Virgin Media - but all opinions posted here are my own
0 Kudos
6tuners
Tuning in
Message 3 of 10
Flag for a moderator

Not for me though sadly. I asked for it on Livechat and was told:

Lavina:There will be  a one of activation fee of £14.99 plus £99.95  V6 activation fee and £40.00 installation.

0 Kudos
Superuser
Superuser
Message 4 of 10
Flag for a moderator

Which Livechat - the one on the sales site or via Contact Us?

You wouldn't currently be charged the manned install fee and the activation fee. This is because self install isn't currently available so the manned install fee is waived.

Only once self install is available for your order but you explicitly choose an engineer install is the £40 fee charged.
I work for Virgin Media - but all opinions posted here are my own
0 Kudos
frank_gm
Community elder
Message 5 of 10
Flag for a moderator

6tuners wrote:

Hi all, this is my first post so be kind. I joined a couple of weeks ago and started my journey with a phone fault. I've spent a while trying to figure out why I can only record 2 channels and watch 1. I was told by the installation engineer that the box had 6 tuners. After a couple of weeks of trying and checking various online sources I decided it was time to speak to support. I got onto live chat and had the box updated rebooted etc before being told an engineer would be out. He came today and told me that I'd been misled the box I have has only 3 tuners so I'm getting what the box can deliver. He explained that there is a box in trial that has 6 tuners. So as I convinced my wife to leave Sky for this product how do I get hold of the box I was led to believe I was getting?

Slightly confused. You might have been told by the installation engineer that it had six tuners but, by that point, you had already convinced your wife and committed to joining VM based, presumably, on information you had available at that time. 

So,to be honest, it does not really matter what the engineer said at the time of installation, your decision to join had already been made by then. What information did you have available to influence your initial decision?

Nice to be able to post again, after their mistake (removed by the Censorship team).
¡No Pasarán!
0 Kudos
6tuners
Tuning in
Message 6 of 10
Flag for a moderator

There's no need to be confused frank_gm. What you did was mistake me for a pleb who just shouts about stuff for no reason. I'm not. I had to fight tooth and nail with my wife to switch and this meant we kept Sky TV package running so that we could trial Virgin TV before committing to sacrificing the whole service. Once she was convinced that although we'd lost over a hundred channels in HD and I'd lost F1 that the new box meant she could now record ALL the programs she'd wanted to previously, but they clashed it help me push the change. Had I not had the 6 tuners to offer her we'd still have Sky TV. I'll consult the Virgin CEO team and see what they can do to help me. Can someone provide the appropriate contact details?

0 Kudos
frank_gm
Community elder
Message 7 of 10
Flag for a moderator

But, presumably, you had researched the boxes in advance and were aware of what you were getting before the engineer visit?

I doubt that you will get anywhere with the CEO's office as nowhere in the VM literature for the Tivo does it advise that there are six tuners. A discussion with an engineer will not be considered as credible unless you have evidence to back this up.

Nice to be able to post again, after their mistake (removed by the Censorship team).
¡No Pasarán!
0 Kudos
Superuser
Superuser
Message 8 of 10
Flag for a moderator

You will also find the tivo will automatically reschedule shows if there is a clash or you decide not to let it change channels 

0 Kudos
Shuffer
Tuning in
Message 9 of 10
Flag for a moderator

It may well be that, like me, the OP was sold a V6 box over the phone but was actually sent a crappy old version. Not being au fait with Virgin boxes, it’s taken me a couple of days to work out which one we’ve received.
0 Kudos
6tuners
Tuning in
Message 10 of 10
Flag for a moderator

After a year of grief from the rubbish box and a very unhappy wife. I called to cancel. Amazingly I could have the V6 box. All the problems we'd had went away. The agent said we were unlucky that we joined when we did because virgin weren't aware how big a problem the old box was. I can't say I believe that but I have a working box now. Thanks to all who offered help and advice.
0 Kudos