Menu
Robbo13
Joining in
Message 1 of 6
Flag for a moderator

Menus but no TV Picture On INITIAL Start Up!

I have recently swapped my V+ Box for a new TiVo Box and have the following problem...

When I turn on my TV and "wake up" my TiVo box I get all the menus, etc. but no TV picture or sound. If I then turn my TiVo box off then on again it works perfectly.

Also, if I later turn my TV off then on without touching my TiVo box I get a brief TV picture then just the menus again. Once more I have to turn my TiVo box off and on to get a TV picture... this means I can't pause a programme and turn off my TV if I need to pop out for half an hour.

Anybody come across this before or know what the problem is... TV or TiVo?

0 Kudos

Helpful Answers
Argy
Rising star
Message 2 of 6
Flag for a moderator
Helpful Answer

Re: Menus but no TV Picture On INITIAL Start Up!

It might be a HDCP handshaking issue. Can you try using a different HDMI cable, or port on the TV?  How old us your TV? Does it need a firmware upgrade? (None available for Tivo, as far as I know).

Just another VM user trying to help, so no guarantees that my advice will work .
If my suggestion is helpful, please mark it as helpful; it may help others. Just want to say "Thanks"? That's the Kudos button.

All Replies
Argy
Rising star
Message 2 of 6
Flag for a moderator
Helpful Answer

It might be a HDCP handshaking issue. Can you try using a different HDMI cable, or port on the TV?  How old us your TV? Does it need a firmware upgrade? (None available for Tivo, as far as I know).

Just another VM user trying to help, so no guarantees that my advice will work .
If my suggestion is helpful, please mark it as helpful; it may help others. Just want to say "Thanks"? That's the Kudos button.
Forum Team
Forum Team
Message 3 of 6
Flag for a moderator

Hello Robbo13,

Welcome to the community Smiley Happy

Just a quick check to see whether you're still experiencing this issue and if you've tried a different cable as Argy has suggested?

Looking forward to hearing from you

Rose
Forum Team

New around here? To find out more about the Community check out our Getting Started guide

0 Kudos
Robbo13
Joining in
Message 4 of 6
Flag for a moderator

Thanks for your reply Argy. My TV is a Sony Bravia and is quite old now I guess although it does have two HDMI sockets. It's not a "Smart" TV.

I manged to get hold of another HDMI lead and I still have the problem whichever I use and in both sockets.

Process of elimination suggests I try a different screen next!?

0 Kudos
Argy
Rising star
Message 5 of 6
Flag for a moderator

Hi Robbie

Shame it wasn't as simple as the cable.   I would agree that process of elimination would suggest another screen if you can borrow one (many modern PC screens might have HDMI ports as well).   I have used my Tivo with Sony Bravia and Samsung screens and had no issues with either. Don't forget that the Tivo is quite old in tech terms and so an older TV may have less issues than a modern one!

If you can't borrow another screen, then there may be a fault with the Tivo and it will have to be replaced (losing your current recordings). One thing you could try (just in case your TV is beginning to power up) is purchase/borrow a Chromecast (£30 to buy) and see if that is OK with the TV.  If it is, probably the Tivo at fault. If the Chromecast exhibits the same fault, then I would guess the TV.  A bonus of trying this is that the Chromecast will give you a smart TV for a small price upgrade ( the apps will load a lot faster than the Tivo). 

0 Kudos
Forum Team
Forum Team
Message 6 of 6
Flag for a moderator

Hi Robbo13,

Thanks for posting!

If you're unable to test another screen/ TV just give me a shout and I'll arrange a technician for you.

All the best  Smiley Very Happy

Josh

Tech fan? Have you read our Digital life blog yet? Check it out

0 Kudos