Menu
davorg
Dialled in
Message 1 of 9
Flag for a moderator

Manage My Tivo Online

Yesterday the man from VM came to service my Tivo. As there was a good chance that he would replace it (which he did), I wanted to get a list of all of the shows currently on the box.

I realised that would be easy, as I could get a list of all of the shows from the "Manage My Tivo" section on the VM web site. I hoped I could copy that text and just paste it into a document. Unfortunately, this doesn't work. And it doesn't work for two reasons.

1/ For some reason the text is protected so I can't select it and copy it. Not sure why this would be the case. Why would you want to prevent me from copying this text?

2/ The list is incomplete. There are shows missing. There are two ways of sorting the list (by title and by date) and both of them are incomplete in different ways.

This could be a very useful page, but these limitations are pretty serious. Is it possible to get the web development team to comment on these problems and let us know if there are any plans to fix it.

Thanks,

Dave...

@davorg
Former Cable & Wireless and ntl customer
Tags (3)
0 Kudos
Superuser
Superuser
Message 2 of 9
Flag for a moderator

Re: Manage My Tivo Online

When/if your ivo is changed you can log in and copy all your series links over automatically

https://identity.virginmedia.com/vm_sso/idp/requestAssertion.action?SAMLRequest=fVLLbsIwELzzFZHv5AEq...

0 Kudos
davorg
Dialled in
Message 3 of 9
Flag for a moderator

Oh. That's exactly what the engineer said I *couldn't* do. Thanks, that's very useful.

But what I really needed was a list of the recordings on the box. I have it now, but I typed copied it manually.

@davorg
0 Kudos
davorg
Dialled in
Message 4 of 9
Flag for a moderator

Does anyone from VM customer support have a comment to add?

@davorg
0 Kudos
Forum Team (Retired) BenD_H
Forum Team (Retired)
Message 5 of 9
Flag for a moderator

Hi Davorg Smiley Happy

Thank you for your comments and thank you for choosing us to help you Smiley Happy

I can see that you've already had some help from Dannylau, which is spot on, you can certainly use this method to transfer them over.

For the copy/paste issue, the transferring of shows supersedes the need to write them down as this does it for you Smiley Happy

I'm sorry that this isn't up to scratch and would like to say that we take all feedback good or constructive and will strive to make the services better for the future.

Take care.

Ben

Who's who? Find out more about our community members. Good folk to know

0 Kudos
davorg
Dialled in
Message 6 of 9
Flag for a moderator

Hi Ben,

Thanks for your reply. I think this discussion has been rather pushed off course. I wasn't originally posting about transferring series links (although I'm glad to see that it was as easy as it was).

No, my main worry was the recordings that I lost when my old Tivo was taken away. I understand completely why it works like that so I wanted to get a list of the recordings on the box, so I could look out for repeats of those episodes.

In the end, the only way to do that was to look at the listing on the box and manually type out every show's title. With a box that was about 70% full, that took a long time. Being able to cut and paste the "manage my Tivo" list would have saved me a lot of time and effort. Given that it's text that appears on a web site, it requires someone to put effort into writing the code that prevents me from copying the text. So at some point, someone has decided that they don't want people copying that text. And I can't really understand why you'd want to block that. Any explanation you can give would be greatly appreciated.

And it's not just the cut and paste problems. As I said in my original message, the list on the web site is incomplete. Again, it's hard to understand why you'd give us access to a page like that which doesn't do what it claims to do.

Cheers,

Dave...

@davorg
0 Kudos
thanks4nothing
Fibre optic
Message 7 of 9
Flag for a moderator

davorg wrote:

Hi Ben,

Thanks for your reply. I think this discussion has been rather pushed off course. I wasn't originally posting about transferring series links (although I'm glad to see that it was as easy as it was).

No, my main worry was the recordings that I lost when my old Tivo was taken away. I understand completely why it works like that so I wanted to get a list of the recordings on the box, so I could look out for repeats of those episodes.

In the end, the only way to do that was to look at the listing on the box and manually type out every show's title. With a box that was about 70% full, that took a long time. Being able to cut and paste the "manage my Tivo" list would have saved me a lot of time and effort. Given that it's text that appears on a web site, it requires someone to put effort into writing the code that prevents me from copying the text. So at some point, someone has decided that they don't want people copying that text. And I can't really understand why you'd want to block that. Any explanation you can give would be greatly appreciated.

And it's not just the cut and paste problems. As I said in my original message, the list on the web site is incomplete. Again, it's hard to understand why you'd give us access to a page like that which doesn't do what it claims to do.

Cheers,

Dave...

It looked like Ben got the wrong end of the stick! What you could have done, was to print the webpage to a PDF or XPS document. You can then load that into the browser and copy the text from there, or use a free utility to convert the PDF/XPS to text. I just tried that in Chrome and it works fine. I don't know about the missing programs though, not looked into that. I doubt VM deliberately disable the Copy, just how that functionality works, they could provide an export function which would be useful but I suspect not many people would use?

This user has left the community.
JuJuDoll
On our wavelength
Message 8 of 9
Flag for a moderator

Is this link still in use ? As I would like to manage my TiVo online ??

0 Kudos
Forum Team
Forum Team
Message 9 of 9
Flag for a moderator

Hi JuJuDoll, 

Thanks for your post Smiley Happy

You can manage your TiVo® via the TV Anywhere website: TV Anywhere Online

Just select the 'Manage My TiVo®' option in the top right hand side Smiley Happy

Let us know if you need any help.

Thanks,

Kath_F
Forum Team

Tech fan? Have you read our Digital life blog yet? Check it out

0 Kudos