Menu
Dawn2509
Tuning in
Message 1 of 7
Flag for a moderator

Loud crackling noise on three occasions so far

I've had my TiVo box for several years with no problems. This last week, on three different occasions, when watching TV or recordings or on demand (except for BBC iPlayer ...), there is a loud crackling noise which makes it almost impossible to hear the dialogue, etc. The first time it happened, I had been watching with no problem earlier in the evening, but the crackling started when I switched on to watch later in the evening. I found on that occasion that the noise was on all channels and recordings, except when I tried BBC iPlayer and started an on demand programme. Once it started playing, the noise stopped, although it continued elsewhere. After a while, it had stopped on all channels.  All was fine for a few days, then the crackling came back but this time when I tried to watch something on iPlayer, I got a message saying it's not possible to watch this on my device (Eurovision Song Contest, for test purposes). Today, the crackling is back this evening. I've tried changing the scart cable and have done a service status check which said all is fine. Any other ideas?

0 Kudos
jobbie
Superfast
Message 2 of 7
Flag for a moderator

Re: Loud crackling noise on three occasions so far

I read on another forum (Digital Spy maybe) that one Tivo user has had the new update, and his box has started making loud noises a odd times. I wonder if this is similar?
0 Kudos
Forum Team
Forum Team
Message 3 of 7
Flag for a moderator

Hi Dawn2509,

Thanks for coming by Smiley Happy

I'm sorry to hear that you're getting a disruptive crackling sound on the TiVo®.  I'd like to help and check this out for you.

I have connected to your box remotely and all looks fine signal/power level wise.  There doesn't appear to be any network issues present.

Is this still happening today?  If you are still getting any crackling sounds, it's worth checking the HDMI lead that connected the TV to the TiVo® is not loose.  Just remove and re-insert the lead and see if this makes a different.  Or what would be better is to try a different HDMI lead altogether to rule out a possible fault lead.

If you can let me know how you get on, I'm here to help.

Collette Smiley Happy

Tech fan? Have you read our Digital life blog yet? Check it out

0 Kudos
Dawn2509
Tuning in
Message 4 of 7
Flag for a moderator

Hi Collette

Having done a quick search online to check what an HDMI cable is, I don't have one as my TV is about 13 or 14 years old so I use a scart cable to connect the TiVo to it. I have changed that to see if it helped. I did the online 'check your service status' and it said the box was fine. My next plan is that, the next time I get crackling, to try to quickly play a DVD, working on the theory that if that crackles, then it's the TV rather than the TiVo. Yesterday, of course, there was no crackling ... aren't intermittent problems a pain?

Dawn

0 Kudos
Forum Team
Forum Team
Message 5 of 7
Flag for a moderator

Hi Dawn,

Thanks for the update and for checking a different lead.  Smiley Happy

I hope all will be ok from now on for you.  Should the crackling come back then please do let me know and we can help further.

You're spot on for checking a different device as this will at least rule in or out that the TV set itself may or may not be having some impact.

Given the sound is ok when you use BBC iPlayer I do suspect that an element of the TiVo® service may be an issue.  Let me know how you get on.  Intermittent problems certainly are a pain aren't they Smiley Frustrated

We're here to help in any way we can so keep me posted.

Collette Smiley Happy

0 Kudos
Dawn2509
Tuning in
Message 6 of 7
Flag for a moderator

Hi Collette

The crackling has returned several times, but today I had time to investigate further, swapping the cables again and attaching my DVD player. No crackling at all when playing a DVD, but crackling when viewing through the TiVo - except when playing a programme on BBC iPlayer! So, it doesn't seem to be the TV that's the problem. What can you suggest?

Thank you.

Dawn

0 Kudos
Forum Team
Forum Team
Message 7 of 7
Flag for a moderator

Hi Dawn,

Thanks for getting back to me Smiley Happy

It would seem to be a TiVo® specific issue as I suspected, I appreciate all the checks you've done so far, it's been a great help.

I have had another look at the TiVo® and all is still looking ok so no detectable signal issues form here.  I will be happy to arrange for an engineer to call round and give everything a health check and get rid of the sound issues you're having.

I will pop all the details in a private message for you, look for the  icon above.

Collette Smiley Happy

0 Kudos