Menu
kingr
Joining in
Message 1 of 12
Flag for a moderator

Live TV Pause - Buffer problem?

Hello, I have been with VM for a few months now and noticed that when I pause live TV and then continue watching it will jump back to live TV at some point, meaning we miss part of the program. It seems to be about an hour later or so, hence my thought it was a buffering problem. We are not pausing for long, maybe 5 - 10 minutes and when it jumps back to live there is no way to rewind.

I see from a search others had similar which was supposedly related to a software update, or even that this appears to be expected behaviour, but I am not sure that really is the case - I can't actually pause live TV for a few minutes and expect to watch it the rest of the evening uninterrupted?

Any thoughts or experiences from those that have been with VM for longer?

Thanks so much

0 Kudos
Parrotperson
Super solver
Message 2 of 12
Flag for a moderator

Re: Live TV Pause - Buffer problem?

The buffer is only an hour. So if you pause at 6pm and don't press play again for a hour and ten minutes you'll be missing the first ten mins of the programme at 6pm til 6.10pm if you see what I mean!

if the TiVo is pausing then you press play and it goes directly to live to then you have a problem. Try a reboot first. That often solves issues. If no luck then you'll need to wait on here for a mod to help or phone in which will be quicker. 

0 Kudos
kingr
Joining in
Message 3 of 12
Flag for a moderator

Thanks for the fast reply! 

I am talking about the second point you mention - we are never pausing for over an hour, and it always is another program that gets impacted (e.g. we pause a program that starts at 8pm for 10 minutes, then a program that started at 9pm is the one that jumps some time in)

0 Kudos
Parrotperson
Super solver
Message 4 of 12
Flag for a moderator

Ah I see. That sounds like a buffer software fault. The hour buffer limit seems to come into play even though you're not buffering for an hour. Try the reboot. Report back! 

0 Kudos
sjp123
Problem sorter
Message 5 of 12
Flag for a moderator

Would 3 shows starting at 9PM explain it? Do you have any instances of this?

pretty sure (but am well prepared to be put right) that 3 shows kicking off at 9 would flush all 3 buffers.

0 Kudos
Olly
Fibre optic
Message 6 of 12
Flag for a moderator

sjp123 wrote:

Would 3 shows starting at 9PM explain it? Do you have any instances of this?

pretty sure (but am well prepared to be put right) that 3 shows kicking off at 9 would flush all 3 buffers.

Not necessarily. I am often pausing something before 9 and I get the warning about changing channels when 3 shows are going to record at 9 but I still get to watch the end of the 8-9 pm programme that I was watching on delay. I think it kinda records it, just doesn't put it in the My Shows list.

Sorry I've not got very technical with my explanation but even tho the 3 tuners are occupied with recording other stuff from 9 onwards the 8-9 programme is still there somewhere and I am always able to watch it til the end..  often occurs with an Emmerdale 1 hour show  which I am usually watching on time delay. the 3 shows schedule to record at 9 are not affected and record from the beginning.

0 Kudos
kingr
Joining in
Message 7 of 12
Flag for a moderator

Thanks all for your advice. Reset didn't work unfortunately. I thought it had, but then I only paused for 10 minutes at the time. When I saw this again the other day, the total pause was nearer 30-40 minutes. So I spoke with the customer service team and they went through another few reboots and sending signals, but it failed again last night - again 30 minutes worth of pausing. I don't see any options on how long you can pause for - am I reaching a limit and its causing these issues later in the evening?

Back to customer service today I guess as they implied this shouldn't be happening at all.

0 Kudos
kingr
Joining in
Message 8 of 12
Flag for a moderator

So apparently this has been known for a couple of months. The engineer I spoke to was going to check on this and call me back - unsurprisingly given the history of people calling me back since I moved to the TV service, this hasn't happened Smiley Sad. Looks like pausing live TV consistently is beyond the capabilities of my box for some reason.

0 Kudos
Parrotperson
Super solver
Message 9 of 12
Flag for a moderator

I have to say that it's the first time I've seen it on the forum. You would think if it's a general issue as the engineer said loads of people would mention it here. Not convinced! 

Just a silly thought but next time you pause make sure your remote is not pointed at the TiVo. I wonder if the buttons are maybe sticking then moving and taking the box off paused? It's occasionally happened to me with my tv remote. Either that or you have a poltergeist! 

0 Kudos
kingr
Joining in
Message 10 of 12
Flag for a moderator

I agree, I feel that I am getting fobbed off with whatever sounds good at the time. The remote idea is possible - the only thing I think may be an issue with that is that when it skips forward it loses any recording, which I wouldn't have thought (happy to be proven wrong) if it was simply a dodgy remote. That said, I think I will hide it now!

An engineer is out tomorrow so will let you know what happens. Maybe they can call ghostbusters... Smiley Happy

0 Kudos