Menu
WBST
Joining in
Message 1 of 10
Flag for a moderator

Latest Tivo Netflix app update multiple serious complaints, please revert to previous version ASAP

Hello there,

I'm sorry to have to say this but the latest Netflix app so-called "update" has absolutely ruined the user interface and the app's usability. This "update" came into effect within the last 4 or 5 weeks, I believe. Previously it was perfectly usable and responsive.

1) "autoplay" on title selection is totally unnecessary. It also seems to cause a DOWN button press (e.g. to select 'More episodes') to act doubly!

2) VERY poor response to remote control button functions, such that pause, FFwd, FRev etc. are basically useless.

3) returning to the "Continue Watching" list after ending (LEFT) a played film or episode rather than the relevant list from which the item was selected is counter-intuitive and VERY annoying.

4) returning to the main item menu rather than the episode menu after selecting 'Back' from the ended/next menu is also counter-intuitive and VERY annoying.

5) the ended/next menu for a film item should NOT "autoplay" some other, randomly selected, vaguely similar film after 20 seconds. This is extremely poor user interface behaviour.

6) there appear to be insufficient recovery attempts and/or options, such that the message "We're having trouble playing this title..." is occasionally issued, but resuming play immediately always succeeds!

7) fast forward/reverse displays are extremely slow to commence and x3 speed never displays thumbnails.

In summary, this "update" has been an serious error of judgement and appears not to have been subjected any serious user evaluation and testing, which I consider wholly unprofessional.

0 Kudos
HairyFacedHuman
Rising star
Message 2 of 10
Flag for a moderator

Re: Latest Tivo Netflix app update multiple serious complaints, please revert to previous version ASAP

I got the new app 2 weeks ago and it runs a lot smoother than the previous one. The only thing I don't like about it is the auto-play. I find that quite annoying.

---------------------------------------------------------------
This life hesitates to be enjoyed
Not the slightest prospect of change
Vicious circle
That I'd thought to have escaped
A lasting state of worry prolongs

Mirthless - by - Mirror Of Deception
(from the 2004 album - Foregone)
0 Kudos
WBST
Joining in
Message 3 of 10
Flag for a moderator

Re: Latest Tivo Netflix app update multiple serious complaints, please revert to previous version ASAP

Lurgod wrote:
I got the new app 2 weeks ago and it runs a lot smoother than the previous one. The only thing I don't like about it is the auto-play. I find that quite annoying.

Hi Lurgod,

your timing of the app update is likely more accurate than mine, thanks. It just seemed longer to me.

I find that this particular update has made major (unwelcome) changes to the app's UI behaviour which were, apparently, untested for approval by any significant number of users. I wouldn't personally say that this update is smoother than the previous one due to the issues that I've noted, but I know that individual experiences may vary.

Regards

0 Kudos
Forum Team
Forum Team
Message 4 of 10
Flag for a moderator

Re: Latest Tivo Netflix app update multiple serious complaints, please revert to previous version...

Hi WBST and Lurgod,

Thank you both for taking the time to post on the Community Forum. I'm sorry to hear that you are not happy with the features of the Netflix app via TiVo®.

Updates for the TiVo app are provided by third party suppliers, so issues that affect usability and viewing need to be fed back in order to resolve the problems.

We do take on board your feedback, as we're always looking to improve the way we do things. I have forwarded all of your suggestions to our development team about making the TiVo Netflix app more user friendly and this will be fed back to our supplier.

Kind regards.

Need help changing SIM card? Find out more about activating your 4G ready SIM. 4G SIM Swap Help

0 Kudos
robigouk
Dialled in
Message 5 of 10
Flag for a moderator

Re: Latest Tivo Netflix app update multiple serious complaints, please revert to previous version...

Hi this autoplay is rubbish. how are you meant to add something to "My List" without it playing? It's SO annoying
0 Kudos
Superuser
Superuser
Message 6 of 10
Flag for a moderator

You can disable the auto play of the next episode in Netflix via the website here https://www.netflix.com/HdToggle

However I'm not aware of any option currently to disable the autoplay when you're trying to select an episode. All Netflix on TV apps have the same behaviour.

I work for Virgin Media - but all opinions posted here are my own
0 Kudos
robigouk
Dialled in
Message 7 of 10
Flag for a moderator

yes I have autoplay disabled.. but when you're browsing the catalogue.. you see something you like and choose it... the option to play, add to "my list" etc appears on the left hand side but then it just plays..... such a stupid update. Is it netflix who write the app for you? Please advise as I will contact them also. it's puts me off adding anything to "my list"
0 Kudos
Superuser
Superuser
Message 8 of 10
Flag for a moderator

Yes, it's Netflix who create the app for Virgin Media TiVo.

The app is the same design across all TV devices - the auto play during episode selection also happens on my Samsung Smart TV and PS4

You can see their announcement of the feature change here https://media.netflix.com/en/company-blog/evolving-tv-at-netflix

I work for Virgin Media - but all opinions posted here are my own
robigouk
Dialled in
Message 9 of 10
Flag for a moderator

ah yes, I've reported it to netflix stressing what a bad feature it is - there should be a toggle to choose if you want it or not!
0 Kudos
barrylowry
Superfast
Message 10 of 10
Flag for a moderator

Terri_P wrote:

Hi WBST and Lurgod,

Thank you both for taking the time to post on the Community Forum. I'm sorry to hear that you are not happy with the features of the Netflix app via TiVo®.

Updates for the TiVo app are provided by third party suppliers, so issues that affect usability and viewing need to be fed back in order to resolve the problems.

We do take on board your feedback, as we're always looking to improve the way we do things. I have forwarded all of your suggestions to our development team about making the TiVo Netflix app more user friendly and this will be fed back to our supplier.

Kind regards.

Hi Terri_P

Rather than you and others keep repeating  "problems with the apps need to be fed back to the app originators", how about setting up a sticky  at the top of the forum with the relevant feedback web address / email for the tivo app originators. That way a VM customer with app problems doesn't waste time trying to find the correct web address, and you don't waste time parroting the same answer.