Menu
BazzerLondon
Tuning in
Message 1 of 10
Flag for a moderator

Last Part of Recording Missing

Three times recently the last part of a recording was missed, I presume because a previous programme (news?) overran.

Not Virgin's or TIVO's fault but when I tried to lengthen the post recording padding time I found that the max allowed was 5 minutes.

Is there a way of extending this? If not, I think it is unacceptable and that Virgin should put pressure on the s/w writers to change this.

Fortunately I can resort to catch up but it's a painfully slow process (and rather misses the point of being able to record).

On a philosophical point, I think that in the move into the digital age we have regressed somewhat. I clearly remember in the days of VHS recording, broadcasters included a time stamp at the start and end of programmes which the recorders could recognise rather than recording according to scheduled times.

0 Kudos
zilch
Fibre optic
Message 2 of 10
Flag for a moderator

Re: Last Part of Recording Missing

It should be possible to extend the padding time to anything from 1 min to 3 hours - under the recording set-up menu - modify recording - recording options.
0 Kudos
thanks4nothing
Fibre optic
Message 3 of 10
Flag for a moderator

BazzerLondon wrote:

On a philosophical point, I think that in the move into the digital age we have regressed somewhat. I clearly remember in the days of VHS recording, broadcasters included a time stamp at the start and end of programmes which the recorders could recognise rather than recording according to scheduled times.

I remember using pdc (programme delivery control) too, since the 1990's. It is actually only Tivo, that does not have accurate recordings today, as far as I know. Certainly in terms of freeview, freesat, sky, etc it is still a standard feature.

VM please do not phone me again to discuss my posts. I have not welcomed or invited such an intrusion.

This user has left the community.
0 Kudos
Superuser
Superuser
Message 4 of 10
Flag for a moderator

thanks4nothing wrote:

BazzerLondon wrote:

I remember using pdc (programme delivery control) too, since the 1990's. It is actually only Tivo, that does not have accurate recordings today, as far as I know. Certainly in terms of freeview, freesat, sky, etc it is still a standard feature.

VM please do not phone me again to discuss my posts. I have not welcomed or invited such an intrusion.

I'm pretty sure it ended with analog TV

0 Kudos
BazzerLondon
Tuning in
Message 5 of 10
Flag for a moderator

Thanks for the responses.

It would seem that my philosophical point (an afterthought) generated more responses that the original query/rant!!

Re the original and in response to Zilch. When modifying the pre/post recording padding, a message appears stating that the sum of these cannot exceed 5 minutes. I can see no way of extending the post recording padding to more than 5 minutes to cope with overruns on previous broadcasts. Am I missing something here and if not I am adamant that this is too restricting and am surprised that this issue hasn't been the subject of previous posts?

I've noticed recently an increase in the number of times programmes either start earlier or end later than scheduled, the latter due mainly to extended news items so surely we should expect the TIVO s/w to be able to offer a facility to cope with this?

Granted, there is one circumstance where post padding is extended. It is sometimes offered when recording a live broadcast eg a cup football match but this does not cover other types of broadcasts.

0 Kudos
zilch
Fibre optic
Message 6 of 10
Flag for a moderator

This is all rather odd - with Tivo you can pre-plan your recordings to start up to 10 mins early and finish up to 3 hours later.

Select the programme you want to record from either the search option or tv listings by using the 'ok' button via the remote control.

From the 'record this episode' option choose 'options'. On this menu set your start recording and stop recording selections.

Finally select 'record episode with these options' to confirm your requirements and your planned recording is complete.

It sounds complicated when explained in writing, but it only takes a few seconds in practice.
0 Kudos
zilch
Fibre optic
Message 7 of 10
Flag for a moderator

PS. If selecting the programme you want to record from the tv listings - press the info button, then 'explore this show', then 'upcoming', Select episode, and then 'options'.
0 Kudos
Tavis75
Well-informed
Message 8 of 10
Flag for a moderator

You can extend the recording time for individual programmes or series links by a large amount, but the default recording options are limited to 5 minutes in total, that probably explains the confusion

0 Kudos
BazzerLondon
Tuning in
Message 9 of 10
Flag for a moderator

Thanks, Tavis75.

I was obviously confusing the default with the individual programme settings

0 Kudos
BazzerLondon
Tuning in
Message 10 of 10
Flag for a moderator

Thanks Zilch.

So it is possible to extend recordings via the rather tortuous procedures you've outlined. As pointed out by Tavis, I was obviously getting confused between the default and individual programme settings.

Having explored further, I've found that it's possible to amend the padding once a recording has been set up by :-

Press Home button then

My Shows & Recordings > My Planned Recordings > choose required recording > Modify recording

OR

My Shows & Recordings > Manage My Series Links > choose required series link > Series Link Options

I can't help thinking that this is all a bit over complicated. Why on earth couldn't the option to modify have been offered as an extra stage on pressing the record button? Or was this too simplistic for the programmers/coders?

0 Kudos