Menu
bmxer4ever
On our wavelength
Message 1 of 11
Flag for a moderator

Is there no volume control function on a TIVO box as there was on the Vbox?

This is a serious problem, as we don't use the TV speakers AT ALL, but have always ran the sound through an amp & speakers. Cloning the volume controls from the TV remote therefore won't work, so how do we control volume without going to the amp every time we want to change levels?! We encountered a similar problem when we swithched from the original NTL cable box, which had phono outputs, to the VBox, which didn't (obviously a cost cutting excercise). We solved that by running phono cables from the back of the TV into the amp. We controlled volume though the Vbox, and this worked very well. Now it seems we can't even do that. IS there a way to control volume through the TIVO box as we really don't need the exercise.

0 Kudos

Helpful Answers
Superuser
Superuser
Message 2 of 11
Flag for a moderator
Helpful Answer

Re: Is there no volume control function on a TIVO box as there was on the Vbox?

Short answer is no. There are effectively no Volume controls on any digital output from modern STB's, be they Virgin, Sky or whoever. It was a simple exercise to manipulate the sound on an analogue signal output, as the sound was separated by the STB & sent to the TV as components. Digital signals are decoded as a single raw data stream & sent to the TV/ Amp etc for processing. It is now the the job of this equipment to sort out the vision & sound components, & send them where they are needed. Sorry!, but thats technological progress for you.

SU1617jpeg.jpg

Cable customer since 1993. Services: FH TV, Sky Sports & Movies (2xV+), Talk Unlim Telco, VIVID 100, Virgin PAYG Mobile

thanks4nothing
Fibre optic
Message 4 of 11
Flag for a moderator
Helpful Answer

bmxer4ever wrote:

Thanks - since original post, I've been looking at a few other forums and realised that the TIVO box has no control. Totally sucks in my situation to be honest. Surely the Vbox was using a digital output as well though? It's internal volume control worked just fine.... There are machines that DO have volume control on HDMI or optical outputs, but I guess it's quite simply a cost issue in this case. Since I run my TV sound through a Cyrus amp with a pair of Ruark Talisman floorstanders, I'll probably be junking the TIVO box. Hating all the interfaces anyway - they look ameteurish and are much less user friendly than Vbox. In many ways, it's a total step backward from the Vbox. Unimpressed.

You are right of course, many set-top-boxes let you do this, including many HD freesat/freeview. There is no technical reason not to have this, often it is to prevent confusion having separate volumes for stb and tv. Someone turns the stb volume down and someone complains the tv is on max and not loud enough. So they make it idiot proof by taking options away, at the expense of you and me. Presumably, your amp did not have a remote control, as you can program the Tivo remote to control the amp. Does it not have a 3.5mm input that you can connect to the headphone socket on the tv, which you can then control? Again, probably not which means you are stuck!

This user has left the community.

All Replies
Superuser
Superuser
Message 2 of 11
Flag for a moderator
Helpful Answer

Short answer is no. There are effectively no Volume controls on any digital output from modern STB's, be they Virgin, Sky or whoever. It was a simple exercise to manipulate the sound on an analogue signal output, as the sound was separated by the STB & sent to the TV as components. Digital signals are decoded as a single raw data stream & sent to the TV/ Amp etc for processing. It is now the the job of this equipment to sort out the vision & sound components, & send them where they are needed. Sorry!, but thats technological progress for you.

SU1617jpeg.jpg

Cable customer since 1993. Services: FH TV, Sky Sports & Movies (2xV+), Talk Unlim Telco, VIVID 100, Virgin PAYG Mobile

bmxer4ever
On our wavelength
Message 3 of 11
Flag for a moderator

Thanks - since original post, I've been looking at a few other forums and realised that the TIVO box has no control. Totally sucks in my situation to be honest. Surely the Vbox was using a digital output as well though? It's internal volume control worked just fine.... There are machines that DO have volume control on HDMI or optical outputs, but I guess it's quite simply a cost issue in this case. Since I run my TV sound through a Cyrus amp with a pair of Ruark Talisman floorstanders, I'll probably be junking the TIVO box. Hating all the interfaces anyway - they look ameteurish and are much less user friendly than Vbox. In many ways, it's a total step backward from the Vbox. Unimpressed.

0 Kudos
thanks4nothing
Fibre optic
Message 4 of 11
Flag for a moderator
Helpful Answer

bmxer4ever wrote:

You are right of course, many set-top-boxes let you do this, including many HD freesat/freeview. There is no technical reason not to have this, often it is to prevent confusion having separate volumes for stb and tv. Someone turns the stb volume down and someone complains the tv is on max and not loud enough. So they make it idiot proof by taking options away, at the expense of you and me. Presumably, your amp did not have a remote control, as you can program the Tivo remote to control the amp. Does it not have a 3.5mm input that you can connect to the headphone socket on the tv, which you can then control? Again, probably not which means you are stuck!

bmxer4ever
On our wavelength
Message 5 of 11
Flag for a moderator

Ahh....now there's an idea - 3.5mm headphone out to left & right phono cable into amp! That might work! Didn't think of that! I'll try and source that very cable. My amp's a high end job from the late '80's early '90's - Mission Cyrus One - packs a hell of a punch and makes the TV sound like a stadium!

0 Kudos
thanks4nothing
Fibre optic
Message 6 of 11
Flag for a moderator

bmxer4ever wrote:

Ahh....now there's an idea - 3.5mm headphone out to left & right phono cable into amp! That might work! Didn't think of that! I'll try and source that very cable. My amp's a high end job from the late '80's early '90's - Mission Cyrus One - packs a hell of a punch and makes the TV sound like a stadium!

I was thinking if the amp had a mic or aux 3.5mm input. (probably unlikely) I'm not sure if the cable you mention would give a good result. I have a feeling it might not give good sound - distortion or bad volumes as they are not directly compatible. You may want to check before ordering a cable???

0 Kudos
bmxer4ever
On our wavelength
Message 7 of 11
Flag for a moderator

Just ordered a 3.5mm jack to R/L phono from ebay. Let you know if it works, but it makes sense to me! http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/252133831477

0 Kudos
thanks4nothing
Fibre optic
Message 8 of 11
Flag for a moderator

bmxer4ever wrote:

Just ordered a 3.5mm jack to R/L phono from ebay. Let you know if it works, but it makes sense to me! http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/252133831477

I just did a quick test for you with a Realistic (Tandys) amp from 1990's ??  Tv headphone to cd/tape/tuner phono inputs works perfect. Connected to the inputs labelled "phono" gave the distortion I was thinking of. So pretty sure your cable will be fine.

bmxer4ever
On our wavelength
Message 9 of 11
Flag for a moderator

Excellent - we may have an answer for all those that think ( and listen!) outside the box! I did a big clear out of random cables recently - think I threw one of these out too! Never mind - new one on it's way.

0 Kudos
ozsat
Trouble shooter
Message 10 of 11
Flag for a moderator

The TiVo remote volume control DOES control the volume of amps.

There is a separate section on the help pages to program the remote to control audio amps -  so it is worth checking to see if you amp is in the list.

We use a Samsung TV and a Yamaha amp  -  and TiVo remote is programmed to control the amp volume so we don't need to use the amp remote.

==================================
V6 TiVo (with MRS)
VIVID 350 Optical Fibre (350/20mb) in Area 31
SkyQ Silver Bundle (UHD)
0 Kudos