Menu
Stacey_louise19
Tuning in
Message 1 of 7
Flag for a moderator

Is there line surge protection?

we had a storm yesterday and now my Virgin box isn't working, the hdmi and the to although has power has no picture or sound. Everything else attached to the tv is working fine and they are all connected through a surge protected power socket which is still working fine. In a panic as I suffer depression and am on maternity leave so have limited income and having a tv is my lifeline when my partner leaves for work and I'm on my own. I don't know if it blew my tb or whether the surge came through the TiVo box?
Tags (3)
0 Kudos

Helpful Answers
thanks4nothing
Fibre optic
Message 4 of 7
Flag for a moderator
Helpful Answer

Re: Is there line surge protection?

Have you switched tivo off and back on yet, you might get lucky. There have a been a few reports of Tv's apparently being damaged through the Tivo HDMI port. Do you have an old scart cable you can connect from Tivo to tv? This might get you working whilst you work out what is broken. They recently fitted me with a surge protector on the Virgin incoming coax cable during a routine visit as they didn't previously fit them.

This user has left the community.
0 Kudos

All Replies
AaronMartin
Superfast
Message 2 of 7
Flag for a moderator

Hi Stacey_louise19,

Are there two LEDs lit on the front panel of the box?

0 Kudos
Stacey_louise19
Tuning in
Message 3 of 7
Flag for a moderator

We had a red light and blue flashing light and now we have 2 green lights but tried new hdmi in a borrowed telly and still dead.
0 Kudos
thanks4nothing
Fibre optic
Message 4 of 7
Flag for a moderator
Helpful Answer

Have you switched tivo off and back on yet, you might get lucky. There have a been a few reports of Tv's apparently being damaged through the Tivo HDMI port. Do you have an old scart cable you can connect from Tivo to tv? This might get you working whilst you work out what is broken. They recently fitted me with a surge protector on the Virgin incoming coax cable during a routine visit as they didn't previously fit them.

0 Kudos
Stacey_louise19
Tuning in
Message 5 of 7
Flag for a moderator

Haven't got a scary lead about. And I'm wondering if it's a little pointless anyway as we have no tv to permanently plug it into as only borrowed next doors to test whether virgin was working as my tv seems to have been damaged beyond repair. Tried turning it on and off yesterday as well as it being unplugged with the tv last night trying to force a factory reset of the to. Both seem dead.
0 Kudos
thanks4nothing
Fibre optic
Message 6 of 7
Flag for a moderator

Stacey_louise19 wrote:
Haven't got a scary lead about. And I'm wondering if it's a little pointless anyway as we have no tv to permanently plug it into as only borrowed next doors to test whether virgin was working as my tv seems to have been damaged beyond repair. Tried turning it on and off yesterday as well as it being unplugged with the tv last night trying to force a factory reset of the to. Both seem dead.

Here is another recent thread about Tivo potentially damaging tv HDMI port. Looks like some people have had success after complaining about it. Hope you get it sorted quickly.

http://community.virginmedia.com/t5/Virgin-Media-TiVo-service/damaged-hdmi-ports/td-p/2837112

0 Kudos
Forum Team (Retired) BenD_H
Forum Team (Retired)
Message 7 of 7
Flag for a moderator

Hi Stacey_louise19,

Thank you for coming in and posting for the first time, welcome to the Community Smiley Happy

I'm sorry to hear about the power surge in the home and now that the TV service have been affected. I would like to mention that engineer do install power surge arrestors but when up against lighting, unless there is a self installed surge equipment it can have an effect on the appliances in the home. 

In the meantime I've been trying to access your account but have been unable to, I've sent you a 'Private Message', you can find this by clicking on the little purple envelope near the top right of the page.

Stay in touch and have a great day.

Ben

Who's who? Find out more about our community members. Good folk to know

0 Kudos