Menu
carlgoss
Up to speed
Message 1 of 5
Flag for a moderator

Is there anything up VM's sleeve to combat SkyQ?

I wonder?

V6
200 Mbps
0 Kudos
Superuser
Superuser
Message 2 of 5
Flag for a moderator

Re: Is there anything up VM's sleeve to combat SkyQ?

Yes. The long awaited HTML5 update will be available any year now. 3 more devices will be added to the compatible list. Making a total of 7. They will also probably change the branding again. And break something else in the process.

Smiley Very HappySmiley Very Happy

TiVo is now what the VHD was 3 years ago. Basically obsolete. Ours is for the kids to catch up on Cartoon Network. The grown ups don't go near it. Too many other options that actually work.  Get a look at the STB/PVR market, a spangly new box that delivers all that TiVo promises is available for under 50 quid and no monthly fee. The sole and only reason we have it is cos its FOC in the bundle.

Its a shame because back in the day VM led the market. Decent broadband (provided you are in an area without the dreaded overutilisation) is their one selling point now.

They really need to look at SkyQ and ask themselves whats next. To my mind its a game changer. I still love my fast broadband, so Ill stay for that. But if TiVo was my main STB I would be off to SKY.

0 Kudos
djkav
Tuning in
Message 3 of 5
Flag for a moderator

The only main reason I stay with Virgin is the broadband. I use remote servers and transfer data from development servers for my own personal development. So a good solid internet with good speed is essential. I also do online gaming too Smiley Happy
0 Kudos
carlgoss
Up to speed
Message 4 of 5
Flag for a moderator

All these systems are evolving but how Sky have basically taken the Tivo Bolt idea must be galling for Virgin. VM could have/certainly should have been first to this. After all they licence the Tivo system. It's going to be really hard for them to play catchup. Although it is worth noting SkyQ is hyped, but doesn't exist as a purchasable product as I write.. So come on Virgin.. or is it too late?

carlgoss wrote:

I wonder?

V6
200 Mbps
0 Kudos
Nutty667
On our wavelength
Message 5 of 5
Flag for a moderator

Isn't SkyQ just a multi-room viewing system ?  You can already get multiple cable boxes in your house for different rooms anwyay.  

I'm not sure what the fuss is about, if you need multiple cable/satellite feeds in your house you're watching too much TV.

0 Kudos