Menu
MikeyMcG
Up to speed
Message 1 of 5
Flag for a moderator

Is VM trying to force us onto its new TiVo platform?

Yes, we all know theres a new TiVo, or whatever "new" system its got up its sleeve (TiVo was over 20 years old when VM introduced it here. Even the epg version was well behind the version which was standard in the US at the time). And a couple of months ago they started crowing about this exciting new upgrade that was coming for the TiVo. Since then, the TiVo platform has become so slow it has put all previous complaints in the shade. But this time, its meant to be intentional.

So what is happening here? Is VM trying to force TiVo customers into upgrading to their new system. After all, it will cost more which means more in the coffers for the shareholders.

0 Kudos
jamesofmerton
Fibre optic
Message 2 of 5
Flag for a moderator

Re: Is VM trying to force us onto its new TiVo platform?

our tvo has been fine. never had a problem. this board is generally for those that do have a problem. a couple of friends had an issue with the tv guide updating earlier in the year but they have said that apart from that it is quick and reliable. i'm on ours now. every page comes up straight away. maybe it is an area problem.
0 Kudos
cybmole
Community elder
Message 3 of 5
Flag for a moderator

we can speculate - but the flood of "slow" complaints seems to be well synchronised with the new software rollout. So it is unlikely to be an area or a network issue unless virgin made other changes at the same time or unless the new software uses the network differently

surely the tivo does not need to go on-line to find out how to handle every button press ?

keep calm and keep insisting on replacements until it becomes cheaper for Virgin to accelerate the V6 plans

0 Kudos
Superuser
Superuser
Message 4 of 5
Flag for a moderator

Or fix the software glitch, which it almost certainly is.

Don't forget the new V6 has the same TiVO firmware at its base.

SU1617jpeg.jpg

Cable customer since 1993. Services: FH TV, Sky Sports & Movies (2xV+), Talk Unlim Telco, VIVID 100, Virgin PAYG Mobile

0 Kudos
Leyland
Dialled in
Message 5 of 5
Flag for a moderator

jamesofmerton wrote:
our tvo has been fine. never had a problem. this board is generally for those that do have a problem. a couple of friends had an issue with the tv guide updating earlier in the year but they have said that apart from that it is quick and reliable. i'm on ours now. every page comes up straight away. maybe it is an area problem.

Virgin have a sticky post on this forum that acknowledges there is an issue they are aware of.  My main TiVo is now so slow I would be willing to pay to upgrade the hardware, but I fail to see why their should be any change in the monthly charge for the same content. It is nice to know that the slow problem doesn't impact everyone. Which makes you wonder what the problem really is. 

__
2 x TiVo 1TB & 512GB - XL Package | BT Infinity :-) | Retired IT Professional :-) :-)
0 Kudos