Menu
Tony_Norton
Tuning in
Message 1 of 4
Flag for a moderator

Is TiVo Smart or not?

Hello all you experts,

Just received, yesterday, our first TiVo box.

Tried to set it up following religiously the instructions in the "...quick and easy guide..." but couldn't connect the splitter and cables as instructed because the Wall Socket and Superhub are at the opposite end of the house from the TiVo Box and TV. Also my PC is hardwired to the Superhub in my office, so I'm not prepared to have that changed.

However, kept getting Error 7001.

Rang up tech support and was advised that the TiVo box was "smart" and could receive the WiFi signal from the Superhub.

Re-positioned our relay gadget so it had a direct sight line to both the Superhub and the TiVo, but still no joy.

Rang tech support again and was told that the TiVo Box cannot receive a WiFi signal and has to be connected via a cable to the cable input.

Luckily the previous owner of this property had cable TV, so the cable is in place but the wires have been cut at the junction box outside, leaving only those carrying the broadband signal to the Wall Socket. Have arranged for an engineer to come and re-connect the necessary wires. Hopefully he's not going to find that the cable has been broken or cut up in the loft somewhere!

After all this my question is: -

Is the TiVo box "Smart"? If it is, why am I getting this error message? Is there something one can do in the setup to instruct TiVo to look for the WiFi signal?

Cheers
Tony N

0 Kudos

Helpful Answers
Superuser
Superuser
Message 2 of 4
Flag for a moderator
Helpful Answer

Re: Is TiVo Smart or not?

TiVo does not have wifi.

TiVo does have its own internet connection, separate to your Superhub, and provisioned down the same co-ax cable that you connect it to.

All Replies
Superuser
Superuser
Message 2 of 4
Flag for a moderator
Helpful Answer

TiVo does not have wifi.

TiVo does have its own internet connection, separate to your Superhub, and provisioned down the same co-ax cable that you connect it to.

Tony_Norton
Tuning in
Message 3 of 4
Flag for a moderator

Thanks for that Ernie,

this was confirmed by the engineer who came to re-connect the dedicated TV cable.
Perhaps some of the guys on the technical help desk need a bit more training.

Tony N
Forum Team
Forum Team
Message 4 of 4
Flag for a moderator

Hi Tony_Norton,

A warm welcome to our community Smiley Happy

I'm sorry to hear that you had trouble getting the TiVo® installed.  I'm pleased that you have it all sorted now and all is working ok.

I thought I'd pop our Discover TiVo® guide here incase it maybe useful for you.

If you have any further queries, please don't hesitate to ask Smiley Happy

Collette.

Tech fan? Have you read our Digital life blog yet? Check it out

0 Kudos