Menu
aa-ltd
Tuning in
Message 1 of 17
Flag for a moderator

If multiroom can't be done over LAN then...

I currently have the Virgin Media (basic) TV service through a single Tivo box located in my living room. Like a lot of other people, I would like multiroom capability; however following a phone conversation with VM yesterday, it would appear that the only way to achieve this is to have additional Tivo boxes installed at every required TV location and - this is the bad part - they all have to be connected to the VM cable service.

Now because of the location of the first additional set, it is not practical to run another coax to it. I have great LAN connectivity through powerline adapters and if I could use that (à la Sky Q Mini) I would be well happy, so if anyone can suggest a way that can be done it would be most welcome.

As it stands, I'm somewhat hacked off with the whole setup; and as my (and my wife's) viewing preferences don't extend much beyond what is available on Freeview, I'm seriously considering giving up the TV component of my VM package. There are so many options out there, notably NOW TV and Amazon Prime Video, the saving through not having VM TV would certainly cover the cost of subscriptions to those services.

Just a thought.

0 Kudos
Superuser
Superuser
Message 2 of 17
Flag for a moderator

Re: If multiroom can't be done over LAN then...

There is not a lot you can do. Virgin TV is delivered in DVB-C standard & does not work on the IPTV principle like the internet TV services you mention. It is delivered on linear muxed channels in the same way as satellite TV & Freeview is, which is the most efficient way to deliver 200+ channels at the same time over a coax based network.

If you only want Freeview channels then the best option is Freeview itself.

su1718.jpgCable customer since 1993. Services: FH TV, Sky Sports & Movies (2xV6), Talk Anytime Phone, VIVID 350, Virgin PAYG Mobile

aa-ltd
Tuning in
Message 3 of 17
Flag for a moderator

Thanks nodrogd.

I don't doubt for one minute what you're saying about the most efficient way to deliver the mass of programme material; however, if I had two Tivo boxes installed at home and for example have a programme recorded on box 1 which I want to watch on box 2, surely the recording would be delivered between the two boxes over the LAN and not via the coax, or have I got that totally wrong?

0 Kudos
Superuser
Superuser
Message 4 of 17
Flag for a moderator

you are correct but as you can not get a tivo box that has no subscription and it would need to be connected to the VM network to work it would still need to be connected to coax or the box couldn't start up at all so wouldn't get as far as using the lan for multiroom
Superuser
Superuser
Message 5 of 17
Flag for a moderator

1) Virgins licence only allows streaming of recordings.

2) TiVO only has 3 tuners. With other boxes using these, how would you have the ability to record & watch another channel.

su1718.jpgCable customer since 1993. Services: FH TV, Sky Sports & Movies (2xV6), Talk Anytime Phone, VIVID 350, Virgin PAYG Mobile

aa-ltd
Tuning in
Message 6 of 17
Flag for a moderator

Thanks for your time with this and I appreciate it's not going anywhere, but if I can just take you through my experience in this, bearing in mind I didn't know about the requirement to have ALL Tivos on the coax when I first delved in:

1. I bought a second Tivo box, VM branded, from a seller on eBay a Cisco CT8620, identical to my first box.
  2. Once both boxes were connected to the LAN I could see the first box from the second in "My Shows" (though not the other way round strangely, as there didn't seem to be a "Other Tivos" option in the My Shows menu on box 1).
  3. When I attempted to access box 1 from box 2 I got the message "you cannot play shows from [box1] because it isn't in your virgin media account"
  4. I then called up VM and asked them to add the second box to my account, to which they eventually replied that they would sort it for me "...wait an hour and then reboot..."
  5. After rebooting the only difference was that at step 2 above, I was no longer able to see the first box.

I then called up VM again and that was when they enlightened me about both boxes having to be on the coax with, of course, the second subscription.

All I really wanted was a slave unit in the other room so that I could watch recordings from the first box.

Ah well.

0 Kudos
Superuser
Superuser
Message 7 of 17
Flag for a moderator

I bought a second Tivo box, VM branded, from a seller on eBay a Cisco CT8620

as teh boxes are always VMs its technically stolen as it was never the sellers to sell.
I'd get your money back and return the box
0 Kudos
frank_gm
Community elder
Message 8 of 17
Flag for a moderator

You can't complain that VM refuse to deal with stolen property. Since you hadn't informed them on the first call that you did not have a legitimate box then they obviously were trying to sort out what they thought was technical issue.

That was obviously resolved correctly.

On your issue about connectivity, I welcome the fact that my two boxes can be managed, viewed, separately when required but are also able to be connected when required. It makes them very flexible. I have a potential of nine tuners should I want that, a V6 and a Tivo, and can watch programmes from either box, regardless of which box I am sat in front of.

My partner and I watched a recording last week via the V6, but the recording was actually on the Tivo next door and my daughter was watching another programme on it at the same time. 

Nice to be able to post again, after their mistake (removed by the Censorship team).
¡No Pasarán!
0 Kudos
aa-ltd
Tuning in
Message 9 of 17
Flag for a moderator

Thanks apcyberax.

I guess things will get interesting for the seller of that box when VM come to reclaim it!

And on that point:

• I was told by VM that they couldn't activate the (purchased) box at my house even if it were connected to the VM cable because the MAC address of that box is registered to another property. So if they did reclaim the Tivo, what would they do with it if it can't be installed as a going concern?
  • I only paid a very small sum for the box so even if all I did I was to salvage the HDD from it that would easily cover my expenditure.

0 Kudos
Superuser
Superuser
Message 10 of 17
Flag for a moderator

aa-ltd wrote:

Thanks apcyberax.

I guess things will get interesting for the seller of that box when VM come to reclaim it!

And on that point:

• I was told by VM that they couldn't activate the (purchased) box at my house even if it were connected to the VM cable because the MAC address of that box is registered to another property. So if they did reclaim the Tivo, what would they do with it if it can't be installed as a going concern?

Boxes returned to VM are fully re-conditioned (unless they are BER or obsolete),  the serial numbers are then re-added to the database of useable boxes & the box is made available as a fault replacement.

• I only paid a very small sum for the box so even if all I did I was to salvage the HDD from it that would easily cover my expenditure.

The HDD is hard coded to the box, so will only operate in the box it is installed in.

0 Kudos