Menu
Gingerbirdy
Tuning in
Message 1 of 26
Flag for a moderator

IPlayer/catchup on TiVo stuttering all the time

We migrated from our V plus box a few months ago and ever since we have been using the TiVo system, iplayer/ catch up has never worked properly. The old V plus box works perfectly but when the engineer came to troubleshoot the TiVo box he said that there was a national problem with the iPlayer servers for TiVo which was going to be solved at the end of November. At the beginning of December the service seemed to be working better but since coming back from our Christmas break every single day we've tried to use catch up and iPlayer and every single Time it has just stuttered to the extent that we cannot watch it. I really resent paying for a service which doesn't work especially seeing as we have just been informed that our charges will go up shortly. We have had an engineer, it hasn't been fixed - we're getting pretty fedup. This is also the case for my parents who live around 35 miles away so it can't be a specific problem with our TiVo can it?
0 Kudos
Forum Team
Forum Team
Message 2 of 26
Flag for a moderator

Re: IPlayer/catchup on TiVo stuttering all the time

Hey Gingerbirdy

Welcome to the community, I'm really sorry to learn about the issues you;re experiencing with your Catch Up service at the moment.

I'd like to run some tests on your set top box from our end as you're experiencing these problems, to enable me to do so would you be able to respond here with your account / telephone number and the name of the account holder please?

Look forward to hearing from you

Craig

New around here? To find out more about the Community check out our Getting Started guide

0 Kudos
Message 3 of 26
Flag for a moderator

Hi there Gingerbirdy, 

I am sorry to hear that you are experiencing this issue. I have done some checks and can see that there are two faults here. 

Firstly there is a network issue known as utilisation, which we are currently working on, this takes a bit of time as major upgrades need to be completed. The Network team are working on this with the reference F003327750

Secondly, when I run some testing on your TiVo® I could see that there were quite a few power level issues which would really not help the situation, so I would like to book a technician to call out and investigate further. 

Apologies again 

Huw

The do's and don'ts. Keep the community welcoming for all. Follow the house rules

0 Kudos
Gingerbirdy
Tuning in
Message 4 of 26
Flag for a moderator

Not good news I'm afraid Huw.

The engineer turned up, tested everything (including power levels that you mentioned) and then announced that everything is fine and that the problem is a national problem with iPlayer on the TiVO boxes (ironically this issue doesn't occur with the V+ box that we migrated from as V+ uses different server infrastructure to stream iPlayer from)

Basically, this excercise was a waste of time as the first engineer (see my first forum post) in November diagnosed the same thing and told us the same about the problem with iPlayer.

So, the situation is :

1) V+ boxes receive iPlayer OK and work fine

2) TiVo boxes have a problem with iPlayer nationally (it's unwatchable and not fit for purpose) due to the server infrastructure that streams iPlayer services to TiVo

3) VirginMedia are aware of this issue but I'm not sure it's being aknowledged as a problem by the support team (although all the engineers seem to know)

Where do we go from here ? - we've upgraded from V+ that used to work to TiVo that doesn't work .......it's not fit for purpose at the moment and hasn't been since we upgraded.

Please help provide a solution !.

Thanks

Message 5 of 26
Flag for a moderator

Hello there Gingerbirdy. 

I am sorry to hear that the technician visit has made no difference. The engineer incorrectly advised you that it was a national issue with iPlayer. The issue you are seeing with iPlayer is caused by a Utilisation issue. The TiVo® uses it's own built in modem to provide your iPlayer service (the V+ connects in a different way). The Utilisation fault, will mean that during busy periods the modem inside the TiVo® will struggle to maintain a decent picture. Whilst this fault will affect everyone connected to the same part of the network as you. It is not a national issue, as there will be customers that will be able to view iplayer with no issue what so ever.

As I advised, we are aware of a network issue that will affect you, this is being looked into by the Network team with the reference F003327750, this will mean that a Network upgrade will be needed to create more bandwidth for the TiVo® modem, so that it does not struggle during busier periods. 

Apologies again 

Huw

The do's and don'ts. Keep the community welcoming for all. Follow the house rules

0 Kudos
Gingerbirdy
Tuning in
Message 6 of 26
Flag for a moderator

Ok thanks for the corrections Huw
Could you let me know what the planned timing is for the network upgrade please because if it's not soon, I think we will need to get our v+ box back as the catchup is unwatchable on TiVo as it stands and we are paying for a service that we're not receiving.

My parents have the same issue many miles away in HP12 and they are not tech savvy enough to complain via online forums - they are also recent migraters to TiVo from v+ which worked perfectly.

Any help will be much appreciated
Thanks
0 Kudos
Mr_K
Well-informed
Message 7 of 26
Flag for a moderator

Huw_B wrote:

Hello there Gingerbirdy. 

I am sorry to hear that the technician visit has made no difference. The engineer incorrectly advised you that it was a national issue with iPlayer. 

The engineer accidentally told the truth.  The problem with iPlayer is widespread, some area worse than others. It's getting worse as more get Tivo, 

Come on VM,  stop pretending they are individual isolated faults.  Admit the issue, spend some money and upgrade your network and solve it.   This issue has been going on for years.

smacsor
Tuning in
Message 8 of 26
Flag for a moderator

Yes, I have exactly the same problem with Tivo and iPlayer.

If I had a pound for every time an engineer has said something along the lines of "we're not supposed to tell you this and you'll never hear it from Customer Service but.................".

I would put more weight on what the engineers say as they seem to be more willing to be upfront about known problems.

Sorry Forum staff but I've had this experience many times!!

It does stick in the throat a bit when Virgin have hiked their prices substantially again (perhaps the Chancellor should tell Virgin that inflation is running at 0.5%?)

Simon

0 Kudos
japitts
Well-informed
Message 9 of 26
Flag for a moderator

As much as I will gladly support well-founded criticism of Virgin for apparently having so many utilisation issues now coming out of the woodwork, I'm also very confused why affected users aren't recording more programs rather than relying on CatchUp so much.

Mr_K
Well-informed
Message 10 of 26
Flag for a moderator

japitts wrote:

As much as I will gladly support well-founded criticism of Virgin for apparently having so many utilisation issues now coming out of the woodwork, I'm also very confused why affected users aren't recording more programs rather than relying on CatchUp so much.

People aren't alway's that well organised, there's always something you'll miss.   Also I don't tend to record stuff in HD as it uses up too much space, but may want to use it for catch up.  No chance on Tivo.

I had the instance last night where I had recorded Count Arthur Strong (hilarious as always !), but Tivo cut off the end as BBC1 ran late that evening (another drawback of the box). Never mind I'll catch the end on Tivo's iPlayer  - silly me of course it didn't work, even in SD.  Fortunately I have a smart tv so was able to use the iplayer on that which was fine.

0 Kudos