Menu
TivioP
Joining in
Message 1 of 14
Flag for a moderator

I want the suggestion link permanently deleted

I have to waste over 3/4 hour at weekends going through channels putting 3 thumbs down on everything to stop it recording useless programmes, which sometimes interferes with what I do want. It "thinks" (HA!) I will like what it chooses. RUBBISH!!! I WANT THIS LINK PERMANENTLY REMOVED FROM THE TiVo BOX SO I DON'T HAVE TO WASTE TIME LIKE THIS! It's bad enough when it comes across odd one-off programmes I hadn't noticed or news items, now it's starting to give me Scooby-Do, so I've had to start going through all the kiddies channels! I want this link removed so I don't have to keep checking up.

0 Kudos

Helpful Answers
ozsat
Trouble shooter
Message 2 of 14
Flag for a moderator
Helpful Answer

Re: I want the suggestion link permanently deleted

Why not just go into the recordings menu and switch suggestions off?

==================================
V6 TiVo (with MRS)
VIVID 350 Optical Fibre (350/20mb) in Area 31
SkyQ Silver Bundle (UHD)

All Replies
ozsat
Trouble shooter
Message 2 of 14
Flag for a moderator
Helpful Answer

Why not just go into the recordings menu and switch suggestions off?

==================================
V6 TiVo (with MRS)
VIVID 350 Optical Fibre (350/20mb) in Area 31
SkyQ Silver Bundle (UHD)
TivioP
Joining in
Message 3 of 14
Flag for a moderator

Thanks ozsat, I hope that does the trick. I tried that before but it just kept sending me round in circles, going from one panel to the other and back again. It wasn't until I clicked an arrow to go to the other side that a panel I hadn't seen before came up. The instructions in the manual are not full enough to tell you in detail exactly what to do, they just say to go to Recordings and Suggestions. Anyway I found the link to stop recording suggestions. I'd like to tell the box what it could do with its suggestions but I'm sure it wouldn't listen! 

0 Kudos
Tavis75
Well-informed
Message 4 of 14
Flag for a moderator

Or just ignore the suggestions, they don't count against your used space, will not interfere with any recordings you have set and are automatically deleted when the space is required.

I just leave them on, on the off chance that they happen to record something that interests me, which happens occasionally. 

0 Kudos
TivioP
Joining in
Message 5 of 14
Flag for a moderator

I followed the suggestion I was given by ozsat and by chance found the link I wanted (I never knew it was there) which should do the trick. I just find it annoying that a link is put in the box where it can be virtually taken for granted that I will be interested in what it chooses. It would have been more courteous if it could have been installed in such a way that it would ASK you if you would like its choice recorded. This may seem petty but too much about the way we live these days seems to ride roughshod over personal likes and tastes.

0 Kudos
frank_gm
Community elder
Message 6 of 14
Flag for a moderator

TivioP wrote:

I followed the suggestion I was given by ozsat and by chance found the link I wanted (I never knew it was there) which should do the trick. I just find it annoying that a link is put in the box where it can be virtually taken for granted that I will be interested in what it chooses. It would have been more courteous if it could have been installed in such a way that it would ASK you if you would like its choice recorded. This may seem petty but too much about the way we live these days seems to ride roughshod over personal likes and tastes.

It has been the default by design since the Tivo was introduced years ago and that has suited most Tivo users. Since they do not interfere with planned recordings, do not need any management and are easy enough to disable then it is not really an issue.

Mine are on although I rarely, if ever, bother with them but, since they have no affect on my use of the Tivo, I do not care.

Nice to be able to post again, after their mistake (removed by the Censorship team).
¡No Pasarán!
0 Kudos
thanks4nothing
Fibre optic
Message 7 of 14
Flag for a moderator

frank_gm wrote:

TivioP wrote:

It has been the default by design since the Tivo was introduced years ago and that has suited most Tivo users. Since they do not interfere with planned recordings, do not need any management and are easy enough to disable then it is not really an issue.

Mine are on although I rarely, if ever, bother with them but, since they have no affect on my use of the Tivo, I do not care.

Agreed and as we know, it used to be a major part of the Tivo functionality. Hence the prominence of the thumb keys on the remote control. Unfortunately these days, they force Tivo on everyone including those who do not want Tivo functionalilty and prefer the likes of 'reminders'. Personally, I turned suggestions off when Virgin decided to mess around with the perfectly good algorithm for choosing them and as far as I am concerned it has never been right since. Also the ridiculous limit of 50 simply makes no sense whatsoever to me and no one from Virgin as far as I know has even attempted to explain it or why they introduced it.

This user has left the community.
0 Kudos
frank_gm
Community elder
Message 8 of 14
Flag for a moderator

thanks4nothing wrote:

frank_gm wrote:

TivioP wrote:

Agreed and as we know, it used to be a major part of the Tivo functionality. Hence the prominence of the thumb keys on the remote control. Unfortunately these days, they force Tivo on everyone including those who do not want Tivo functionalilty and prefer the likes of 'reminders'. Personally, I turned suggestions off when Virgin decided to mess around with the perfectly good algorithm for choosing them and as far as I am concerned it has never been right since. Also the ridiculous limit of 50 simply makes no sense whatsoever to me and no one from Virgin as far as I know has even attempted to explain it or why they introduced it.

Do you mean that they are replacing the V+? That is now ancient technology, in fact I felt that way about it six years ago and moved to Sky. I still ended up with the V+ as part of the package of keeping my VM broadband. At least it has been in another room until the end of last year when, as part of the box swap offer, it was replaced by a Tivo. Thank God for that. 

Personally I have never understood why anyone would use Reminders. Just set up a recording and you have the programme available whenever you want it.

Nice to be able to post again, after their mistake (removed by the Censorship team).
¡No Pasarán!
0 Kudos
GarethF
Rising star
Message 9 of 14
Flag for a moderator

thanks4nothing wrote:

Personally, I turned suggestions off when Virgin decided to mess around with the perfectly good algorithm for choosing them and as far as I am concerned it has never been right since. Also the ridiculous limit of 50 simply makes no sense whatsoever to me and no one from Virgin as far as I know has even attempted to explain it or why they introduced it.

Give them another try. They got better towards the end of last year. Mine are really good. I got the first epsiode of CSI Cyber as a suggestion as it knew I liked CSI. Had the same for Chicago Med on the upstairs box - it might have done it on the downstairs box if I'd not WishListed it. Do you think 50 is too many or too few?

0 Kudos
thanks4nothing
Fibre optic
Message 10 of 14
Flag for a moderator

GarethF wrote:

thanks4nothing wrote:

Personally, I turned suggestions off when Virgin decided to mess around with the perfectly good algorithm for choosing them and as far as I am concerned it has never been right since. Also the ridiculous limit of 50 simply makes no sense whatsoever to me and no one from Virgin as far as I know has even attempted to explain it or why they introduced it.

Give them another try. They got better towards the end of last year. Mine are really good. I got the first epsiode of CSI Cyber as a suggestion as it knew I liked CSI. Had the same for Chicago Med on the upstairs box - it might have done it on the downstairs box if I'd not WishListed it. Do you think 50 is too many or too few?

There should not be a limit and doesn't need to be one. I don't need mothering. What next, "Sorry you already watch 2 soaps, You cannot have any more.". They were good the way Tivo designed it, not how Virgin want to control what gets pushed out.

This user has left the community.
0 Kudos