Menu
smarri
Tuning in
Message 1 of 3
Flag for a moderator

I think my TIVO is dieing

Hi there,

For the last week or two, I have been having playback problems on my TIVO box. Programmes that have been recorded have been very framey and stuttery during playback. The programmes often freeze for a few seconds at a time and occasionally crash the box completely. Just recently, some programmes have been freezing completely for up to 5 minutes before jumping ahead to another part of the time line.

Has anyone else had symptoms like this? I fear it may be the internal HD that is on its way out. Is there anyway to access internal diagnostic reports or pages to confirm this?

Many thanks

Simon

Tags (3)
0 Kudos
G4DDS
Rising star
Message 2 of 3
Flag for a moderator

Re: I think my TIVO is dieing

smarri wrote:

Hi there,

For the last week or two, I have been having playback problems on my TIVO box. Programmes that have been recorded have been very framey and stuttery during playback. The programmes often freeze for a few seconds at a time and occasionally crash the box completely. Just recently, some programmes have been freezing completely for up to 5 minutes before jumping ahead to another part of the time line.

Has anyone else had symptoms like this? I fear it may be the internal HD that is on its way out. Is there anyway to access internal diagnostic reports or pages to confirm this?

Many thanks

Simon

I'm afraid to say it sounds like you are pretty much spot on with the diagnosis of a dying hard disk.

I think the tests that forum staff can run on your services do detail a report of the HDD health so you could wait for one of the forum staff to pick this up or you could ring customer services.

I would start watching stuff before it dies. I had one do this a few months ago where I had the symptoms you describe for a few weeks and then had catastrophic HDD failure in the early hours of the morning when it woke up from standby (to do a service connection I assume). I often think that I should have just left the box on permanently whilst I was trying to watch the stuff on the box before swapping it with the replacement box.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Services: 200Mb BB, XL TV (with Sky Sports & Movies) + HD supplement, Talk More Anytime
Equipment: Super Hub 3, 2 x 1Tb TiVo's, Hudl 2 (Android 5.1), Moto G4 Plus (Android 6.0.1), Panasonic LCD TV TX-L32G20B & Plasma TV TX-P42S30B
0 Kudos
Forum Team
Forum Team
Message 3 of 3
Flag for a moderator

Re: I think my TIVO is dieing

Hi smarri, 

Thanks for your post and welcome to the forum. It's great having you on board with us Smiley Happy

Apologies to hear you've been having an issue with your TiVo® service. 

Taking a look at your account I can see that you've already called in and spoken with an agent who has arrange a suitable appointment for you for an engineer to visit. 

Let us know how this goes and if you need any further support, come back and let us know.

Thanks,

Kath_F
Forum Team

Tech fan? Have you read our Digital life blog yet? Check it out

0 Kudos