Menu
hackney
Tuning in
Message 1 of 7
Flag for a moderator

How to transfer recorded programmes from Tivo box to computer suggestions please!

From reading earlier threads and other forums I am confused as to whether it is actual illegal to transfer recorded programmes supplied by Virgin to any other device. Is this true?

Have also seen suggestions that using the scart output on the Tivo box, you can record to vcr/dvd by playing recorded programmes and pressing record on device. (As this would happen in real time suggestion was to do it overnight or while you are out.) Again has anyone ever done this and does it work?

But have also seen software available in the USA that is specifically to transfer from Tivo boxes to PCs, where they have different regulations re transferring of recordings. Have anyone every bought this software and used it here? And is so does it work?

Thanks for any answers.

0 Kudos
Superuser
Superuser
Message 2 of 7
Flag for a moderator

Re: How to transfer recorded programmes from Tivo box to computer suggestions please!

No the softwares doesn't work with the U.K. TiVo 

recording via scart is not technically illegal but strictly speaking recordings are not meant to be kept forever, though it works for most people some have had difficulty 

0 Kudos
hackney
Tuning in
Message 3 of 7
Flag for a moderator

Re: How to transfer recorded programmes from Tivo box to computer suggestions please!

Thanks for letting me know about the software. Would have hated to find I had wasted money on it.

All I need to do now is find a shop that still sells blank video tapes!

0 Kudos
Superuser
Superuser
Message 4 of 7
Flag for a moderator

Don't bother with VCR's now, the whole format is obselete & if equipment breaks the likelyhood you could get it repaired are virtually zero. What you need is either a DVD recorder with a SCART input, or a PC with an analogue video capture card installed.

SU1617jpeg.jpg

Cable customer since 1993. Services: FH TV, Sky Sports & Movies (2xV+), Talk Unlim Telco, VIVID 100, Virgin PAYG Mobile

0 Kudos
Steve10
On our wavelength
Message 5 of 7
Flag for a moderator

I have a DVD recorder connected to a Tivo via scart and it works perfectly well.

0 Kudos
hackney
Tuning in
Message 6 of 7
Flag for a moderator

Thanks for letting me know about videos. In the end because virgin signal level corrected itself I didn't waste time looking for videos. And I had started to think I should maybe look into investing in a dvd recorder. I have had my tivo box for a number of years and have some series on it I would like to keep / catch up on. And maybe more sensible to back up now, in case it actually crashes.

Is it possible to record to a usb stick. Funnily enough my tv has this facility but records in a format that is specific to itself.

Appreciate the info. Certainly more knowledgeable than the help line.

0 Kudos
hackney
Tuning in
Message 7 of 7
Flag for a moderator

Thanks I missed the bit about a pc. I do have the facility to record to dvd but not sure about the video card but will look into this as maybe a better investment to upgrade my computer than spend money on a stand alone dvd recorder.

0 Kudos