Menu
5218smalley
On our wavelength
Message 1 of 4
Flag for a moderator

How do you record on tivo without it changing channel

We have just started on tivo and are trying to record programmes but it keeps telling us to change channel to record or cancel recording.

Can someone point me in the right direction on how to record one program and watch another at the same time

Many thanks.
Tags (3)
0 Kudos
PhilipF
Dialled in
Message 2 of 4
Flag for a moderator

Re: How do you record on tivo without it changing channel

Call up the programme guide

find what you want to record using cursor

Press red record button select one off or link

Press the button below guide square symbol with area to drop guide without changing channel

0 Kudos
Browser01
Superfast
Message 3 of 4
Flag for a moderator

Tivo has 3 tuners. If you are recording on two and watching a third channel when another scheduled recording is due to start tivo needs to free up the one you are watching in order to record. 

This can get awkward when recording buffers are set.

Eg. You are recording bbc1 + bbc2 you are watching itv when a recording on bbc4 is due to start so tivo needs to change channel to use tuner 3.

You could go into my shows and stop one recording to continue watching itv.

There are a couple of other workarounds which involve buffer settings but this can get silly.

Alternatively you could let the box cancel (wrong word) postpone the requested recording. Tivo should then record the requested program the next time it is broadcast.

Sounds convoluted but you will soon pick up on the logic of the software. B

0 Kudos
Forum Team (Retired) BenD_H
Forum Team (Retired)
Message 4 of 4
Flag for a moderator

Hi 5218smalley Smiley Happy

Thank you for coming in and posting your comments on the TiVo and recording facilities. I can see you've had some help from Browser01 and PhilipF, thanks guys Smiley Happy I am just asking since you've had some help have you been able to test any more out or it's been resolved. 

If you found that the post was useful, please let them know by marking it as a useful answer Smiley Happy

Take care and please come back again soon.

Ben

Who's who? Find out more about our community members. Good folk to know

0 Kudos