Menu
no1tivofan
Tuning in
Message 1 of 5
Flag for a moderator

How do I get BBC SE?

How do I get BBC SE on the Tivo? The Virgin man on the phone (150) says it's not possible. I asked how to escalate my enquiry into a request but was met with what I considered to be obstructive resistance. I live in NW Kent.

I've seen elsewhere in the forum that BBC SE exists on Virgin channel 858 but it is not listed on my Tivo.  So, why would Virgin set up a distribution centre/system in Kent with BBC London, Wales, Scotland, etc., etc., but no SE?!?  

Technically is must be a doodle to add a BBC variant.... no?

Tags (1)
0 Kudos
Superuser
Superuser
Message 2 of 5
Flag for a moderator

Re: How do I get BBC SE?

Most of the network in Kent is connected to London Headend sites, so only the channels available at those sites can be distributed to all the customers downstream. There are some legacy feeds still available on 858 & 870 from the original cable build systems, but if there are not any available in your area, you are stuck with what you have. This situation has been the same since cable build in the early 90's, & no changes are ever likely to take place.

Below is part of Virgins primary region map. The yellow areas are fed from London Headends:

London cable  franchises in yellowLondon cable franchises in yellow

SU1617jpeg.jpg

Cable customer since 1993. Services: FH TV, Sky Sports & Movies (2xV+), Talk Unlim Telco, VIVID 100, Virgin PAYG Mobile

0 Kudos
no1tivofan
Tuning in
Message 3 of 5
Flag for a moderator

Thanks for the history and background of what I assume is the cabling. Not sure how this affects which channels are chosen for distribution...?

You say "...& no changes are ever likely to take place." but don't explain why. It may be implied in your post but it's not obvious to me. At some stage all the chosen broadcast channels are combined to be sent down one co-ax cable. Who chose to include BBC Wales but not BBC SE to Kent? How do I contact this person to point out the error of their ways...

0 Kudos
Superuser
Superuser
Message 4 of 5
Flag for a moderator

Just to point out that you can access BBC regional content via the iPlayer app, and choose the region that you wish it to default to in the Settings.

I work for Virgin Media - but all opinions posted here are my own
0 Kudos
Superuser
Superuser
Message 5 of 5
Flag for a moderator

no1tivofan wrote:

Thanks for the history and background of what I assume is the cabling. Not sure how this affects which channels are chosen for distribution...?

You say "...& no changes are ever likely to take place." but don't explain why. It may be implied in your post but it's not obvious to me. At some stage all the chosen broadcast channels are combined to be sent down one co-ax cable. Who chose to include BBC Wales but not BBC SE to Kent? How do I contact this person to point out the error of their ways...

As Ben points out, the regional news programmes (which total 2 hours a day, & are more or less the sum total of regional output nowadays) are available via the iPlayer. The BBC National regions carry far more opt-out content, & the expense of Virgin distibuting them to every customer is justified. Even then customers still complain about the lack of the BBC2 National regions. Where there is legacy provision of "additional regions", this has been maintained from analogue days, but the justification to add more regions for just 2 hours output a day is not worth it. In the Home Counties where I am we used to have a choice of ITV region (London or Anglia) until cable went digital. Now we only get London.

SU1617jpeg.jpg

Cable customer since 1993. Services: FH TV, Sky Sports & Movies (2xV+), Talk Unlim Telco, VIVID 100, Virgin PAYG Mobile

0 Kudos