Menu
keiramackenzie
Tuning in
Message 1 of 7
Flag for a moderator

How do I connect my Tivo 500gb to a Slingbox M1

Hi.

I have been dismayed to find that TV Anywhere does not include accessibility options, such as subtitles, which my mum is in need of to watch live TV on her PC, and have all but given up that this will be incorporated, even after being told it will be "put in the next update" several times to no avail, so have started looking at other options.

As far as I can make out, these include a) Get a Slingbox M1 for £100, connect wirelessly to the router and stream the TIVO box output to the PC (since TV is in another room)

b) Get a Tivo Mini for about £150, then pay a further lifetime fee of about another £150, and use it as a point of access to the TIVO box with my mum's PC

or c) order another TIVO box for £50 and pay ???? for a multiroom subscription to Virgin each month.

Now, obviously, the Slingbox is the best option, but after several hours of reseach, it turns out it is connected via Component cables to the cable box, which mine does not have, so how do I connect it and will this provide the subtitles I am after? It looks like it will if it streams the output, but i;d like a definite "Yes" before spending £100 on it.

Thanks for reading

0 Kudos

Helpful Answers
Superuser
Superuser
Message 2 of 7
Flag for a moderator
Helpful Answer

Re: How do I connect my Tivo 500gb to a Slingbox M1

you can use the compersit output from the scart socket using a suitable adapter to feed the SB M1.

200Mb(SH2 SH2AC Hub 3.0), 2 X V6 TV XL, Phone M. 100Mb Business (Hitron Hub).

All Replies
Superuser
Superuser
Message 2 of 7
Flag for a moderator
Helpful Answer

you can use the compersit output from the scart socket using a suitable adapter to feed the SB M1.

200Mb(SH2 SH2AC Hub 3.0), 2 X V6 TV XL, Phone M. 100Mb Business (Hitron Hub).
Superuser
Superuser
Message 3 of 7
Flag for a moderator

keiramackenzie wrote:

Hi.

As far as I can make out, these include a) Get a Slingbox M1 for £100, connect wirelessly to the router and stream the TIVO box output to the PC (since TV is in another room)

Only TiVO output that isnt content protected is the analogue (Composite Video or RGB) output from the Scart socket. You will not be able to access content via HDMI or Ethernet

b) Get a Tivo Mini for about £150, then pay a further lifetime fee of about another £150, and use it as a point of access to the TIVO box with my mum's PC

Only compatible with open systems TiVO's such as those in the US. Wont work with a Virgin TiVO.

or c) order another TIVO box for £50 and pay ???? for a multiroom subscription to Virgin each month.

Up to you whether this is an option, but at least you know it works (Install charge + £11.50 a month)

If you are only looking at access to Live TV a TiVO is not needed. Non recording VHD boxes, can also access all the channels the TiVO can including subtitles, but not all the apps. £50 install + £6.50 a month rental

SU1617jpeg.jpg

Cable customer since 1993. Services: FH TV, Sky Sports & Movies (2xV+), Talk Unlim Telco, VIVID 100, Virgin PAYG Mobile

0 Kudos
keiramackenzie
Tuning in
Message 4 of 7
Flag for a moderator

Nodrog,

Thank you for your post but it leaves me baffled. So are you saying I could rent another barely functioning, almost archaic box from Virgin at £6.50 a month, with a setup cost of £50? Wow...I could own a slingbox at a cost of £110 - £120 as a one off payment.

What would be the benefit of paying a subscription to virgin, having another large box set up in a small cottage pc room over paying a one off slingbox price and installing that smaller box with everything else in the one room?..and then i'm assuming my mother would also not be able to access any of the TIVO content either?

Thanks
K

0 Kudos
keiramackenzie
Tuning in
Message 5 of 7
Flag for a moderator

Thank you AMWSmith,

I had heard this, but it means more coming from a superuser on the Virgin Forum. I'm going to go down this route. It seems to be the only way I can be sure to achieve my aim and also the most cost effective.

K

0 Kudos
Superuser
Superuser
Message 6 of 7
Flag for a moderator

keiramackenzie wrote:

Nodrog,

Thank you for your post but it leaves me baffled. So are you saying I could rent another barely functioning, almost archaic box from Virgin at £6.50 a month, with a setup cost of £50? Wow...I could own a slingbox at a cost of £110 - £120 as a one off payment.

What would be the benefit of paying a subscription to virgin, having another large box set up in a small cottage pc room over paying a one off slingbox price and installing that smaller box with everything else in the one room?..and then i'm assuming my mother would also not be able to access any of the TIVO content either?

Thanks
K

Just telling you what the options are. You decide what suits your situation best.

SU1617jpeg.jpg

Cable customer since 1993. Services: FH TV, Sky Sports & Movies (2xV+), Talk Unlim Telco, VIVID 100, Virgin PAYG Mobile

0 Kudos
andrewilley
Fibre optic
Message 7 of 7
Flag for a moderator

The Slingbox will only copy the output from the one TiVo and send it somewhere else, meaning you can't use the main TiVo for anything other viewing while your mum is using the slingbox feed.

If it's for watching on another TV (a PC is rarely an ideal way to watch TV long-term) and you don't mind the output being shared, why not just run a cable to the other room and use an HDMI splitter / extender? Or even just a basic composite wire from the SCART to the other TV if you don't want HD (which you won't get with the slingbox anyway). The HDMI version could probably even plug into the PC monitor if you still want to use that display, and switch from the PC to the TV.

Andre

0 Kudos