Menu
sallyjhird
Tuning in
Message 1 of 23
Flag for a moderator

How can I connect my Tivo box to a TV and VCR/DVD combi?

Hi - I have a Philips TV with one SCART (though it also has a DVI input) and a Tivo box with one SCART. I now have a VCR/DVD combi I want to connect largely to play/dub video DVD but I may also want to record. this Toshiba model has HDMI out and two scarts but I don't know how to connect it all together. the VCR came with nothing but a power cable and I don't have any other cables so do I need to buy an HDMI out / DVI in to join the two? the TV doesn't have an HDMI in, just a DVI in. I am totally confused about the cables I need to connect it all together. Please can anyone help? 

the TV is a Philips 15PF5121 series and the combi is a DVR 20.

if anyone can help I'd be really grateful!

0 Kudos

Helpful Answers
sjp123
Problem sorter
Message 14 of 23
Flag for a moderator
Helpful Answer

Re: How can I connect my Tivo box to a TV and VCR/DVD combi?

Now the back of your telly is going to look like the back of mine Smiley Happy

if you've gone for the HDMI > DVI option I believe you'll have lost audio (DVI does not carry audio) and will need to pick it up from the scart out of your TiVo.

as you've already got a scart cable plugged in I'm thinking a scart to 2 way scart socket block might help - reconnect the scart cable you've just unplugged and use the other to get audio up to whatever audio in you have on your TV - I'm guessing again but you'll hopefully find a pair of RCA (white & red) inputs.

something like http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/SCART-Adapter-Audio-Compsite-SVHS-with-IN-OUT-Switch-/190507326528 will get the audio out of the scart and into the back of your TV - make sure you get a switchable one.

sjp123
Problem sorter
Message 16 of 23
Flag for a moderator
Helpful Answer

not a switch, just a 1 plug to 2 socket block to duplicate, you'll then use URL cable on the spare socket to pick up the audio.

have a look at the link below to see what I'm waffling about

https://www.audiomate.co.uk/proddetail.php?prod=2-Way-Scart-Splitter-with-Scart-Plug-and-2-Scart-Soc...

All Replies
Superuser
Superuser
Message 2 of 23
Flag for a moderator

The limitations you are working with are

• TV has one SCART + DVI
  • TiVo has one SCART+ HDMI

The other two devices? (DVD/VCR combi/VCR) are SCART only.

The simplest solution is going to be going HDMI>DVI for TiVo

Then daisy chain the  SCART devices

That will give you teh best quality link between TiVo and the TV.  

PROBLEM- without testing, you aren't going to know if the TiVo/TV are going to perform HDCP handshake correctly over the lead. But as they are cheap, worth getting one to test.

http://www.amazon.co.uk/World-Data-Premium-Quality-resolution/dp/B001NXOGQW/ref=sr_1_3?ie=UTF8&qid=1...

Provided that works you want to go

VCR>out via scart to DVDCombi IN then DVDCombi OUT scart to TV

If you want to record from TiVo, take a seperate Scart from TiVO, get a scart switch and connect that to the other end of TiVo scart out, and split the input to DVDcombi

sallyjhird
Tuning in
Message 3 of 23
Flag for a moderator

I will try this and post further if I need it, many thanks
0 Kudos
sallyjhird
Tuning in
Message 4 of 23
Flag for a moderator

I've connected the VCR to the TV with the HDMI cable, but this isn't scanning for channels, does that mean its the TIVO/TV I should have connected, not VCR/TV? also the VCR didn't come with any cables - do I also need antenna in cable (for the VCR) and TV connection?

thanks, sorry to be so lacking in knowledge

0 Kudos
Superuser
Superuser
Message 5 of 23
Flag for a moderator

Your VCR will have Freeview tuners and will need connection to an external aerial to be able to record channels (from Freeview).

0 Kudos
sallyjhird
Tuning in
Message 6 of 23
Flag for a moderator

I don't need the Freeview channels, is there  way of doing it without that, surely?

0 Kudos
sallyjhird
Tuning in
Message 7 of 23
Flag for a moderator

thanks but I think you misunderstood. I have a TV (one device) a TiVO box (1 device) and a Toshiba DVD/VCR combi (one device) all these have few connection options. the TV has one scart, though also a DVI connection, plus a TV co-axial connection. the TiVO box has one scart, an HDMI port and multiple USBs. the combi has 2 scarts, AV1 TV AV2 decoder, plus an HDMI out. all I want to know is what to connect to what to make it all work. so far I've connected the TV to the combi via HDMI previously advised. This doesn't seem enough to make it all work so I am missing something. Please can someone just tell me what leads I need in each connection? I don't need Freeview so scanning for those channels isn't necessary, I get all I need via Virgin cable.

thanks (In hope!)

0 Kudos
Superuser
Superuser
Message 8 of 23
Flag for a moderator

Ahhh I thought you had a seperate VCR as well.

In that case you should be able to go EITHER

TiVo Scart >Combi Scart AV2

Then

Combi HDMI>DVI

OR

Attach an HDMI switch to the DVI to HDMI lead advised earlier

THEN

Combo HDMI> HDMI switch

TiVo HDMI> HDMI switch

Option 2 gives you better quality.

0 Kudos
sallyjhird
Tuning in
Message 9 of 23
Flag for a moderator

thanks so much . I will try no 1 first. Presumbably, by 'switch' you mean I need to buy an HDMI switch such as:
http://www.amazon.co.uk/DIGIFLEX-1080p-switch-Splitter-Pigtail/dp/B003TKKSIC/ref=sr_1_8?ie=UTF8&qid=...
0 Kudos
Superuser
Superuser
Message 10 of 23
Flag for a moderator

Yep- Thats you- I have a Beltron one got from the same source and its spot on.

0 Kudos