Menu
joncbee
On our wavelength
Message 1 of 4
Flag for a moderator

How I fixed my Tivo response times (even after latest software release)

Other people have mentioned this but not recently.

I have found that there is a simple solution to the slowness of Tivo - and that is to DELETE ALL THUMBS UP/THUMBS DOWN.

This can be done in the settings and on my machine took about one minute, after which it reboots (as you know, that seems to take forever, but it is worth it, believe me).

I have had the latest software update, but even so, the box is now faster than it has EVER been. I would go as far as to say that response time is no longer a problem, although obviously all the other problems still exist.

For me, I think the whole thumbs up/down, automatic recording thing is deranged. For others, I suppose they may like it and want to keep it and so will need to continue suffering the incredible slowness.

I had never submitted any thumbs up/down to my machine. I just turned off the automatic recording about half a day after the thing arrived, once I had fathomed out why it was recording rubbish that I didn't want. So there is the mystery of why, if I didn't have any thumbs, did deleting them make such a difference? One possibility could be that out of the box, there are null-valued placemarkers in the repository database, waiting to be updated with a preference, and that doing a reset deletes these records?? Only a guess.

I hope this can somehow help someone. It has been a revelation to me, even though I am really angry that a company can ship a system with such useless default settings (see: Microsoft)

0 Kudos
Tavis75
Well-informed
Message 2 of 4
Flag for a moderator

Re: How I fixed my Tivo response times (even after latest software release)

joncbee wrote:

I hope this can somehow help someone. It has been a revelation to me, even though I am really angry that a company can ship a system with such useless default settings (see: Microsoft)

Suggestions have always been one of the marketed features of the TiVo, so it makes sense to ship with them turned on, they don't affect the normal operation of the box so if you're not interested in them they can just be ignored.

As for the thumbs database, the TiVo automatically gives one thumb up to anything you record, so that would explain why they exist even if you've never thumbed anything.

0 Kudos
Pete_Pirata
On our wavelength
Message 3 of 4
Flag for a moderator

Hi There, I got this helpful advise from Josh of the Virgin Forum team and it worked.. To clear the cache on the TiVo® just go to the Home screen and press Thumbs Down, Thumbs Up, Play, Play. You'll hear a 'ping' noise and the screen will go blank for a few seconds. After 30 seconds the screen came back on and the box was much faster... Hope this helps others. Peter
0 Kudos
joncbee
On our wavelength
Message 4 of 4
Flag for a moderator

I need to update this.

The first time I did this, I tried the box for five minutes and it was faster.

Next day, it was back to its usual snail impersonation.

I tried the trick again: no good.

Bottom line:I spoke too soon.

0 Kudos