Menu
ElviraKate
On our wavelength
Message 1 of 5
Flag for a moderator

Homeland Sunday 29 - no subtitles?

We have to record everything with subtitles as my husband is deaf, so they are permanently on. We settled down to watch Sunday's Homeland only to find that although subtitles were apparently provided we could not get them to display at all, it seemed they had not been recorded. Other programmes recorded on Saturday and Monday are fine. What happened? We had to watch using Catchup on my laptop via HDMI to the TV a really horrible experience because the streaming was full of stutters in the show but mostly in the compulsory adverts.

What went wrong? Channel 4 when I complained insisted that subtitles were broadcast. This is a really mean trick to play on the deaf when you're in the middle of a series.

Kate

Tags (1)
0 Kudos
Forum Team
Forum Team
Message 2 of 5
Flag for a moderator

Re: Homeland Sunday 29 - no subtitles?

Hi ElviraKate,

Welcome to the community Smiley Happy

I'm sorry to hear that the subtitles hadn't worked on one of your recordings.  I can assure you there will be no tricks being played here, it does sound like a fault has occurred that stopped the subtitles from working correctly on playback. 

Has this happened before or since?  I can appreciate how annoying this must have been, I'd like to help further if this does happen again.

Keep me posted, I'm here to help if you need anything.

Tech fan? Have you read our Digital life blog yet? Check it out

0 Kudos
ElviraKate
On our wavelength
Message 3 of 5
Flag for a moderator

Thanks, Colette. It's been OK so far, just that one glitch. If it happens again, is there any way to get the subtitles to display again? Going into 'info' it clearly said that subtitles are available, but no amount of toggling helped. Catch-up was a really horrible experience we don't want to have to do again (we have a fast fibre connection but something was very wrong somewhere).
0 Kudos
Forum Team
Forum Team
Message 4 of 5
Flag for a moderator

Hi ElviraKate,

Thank you for your reply Smiley Happy

Hopefully it is a one off glitch that has happened.  If it does happen again, try powering off/on the box to refresh things and see if that resolves the issue.

It is a tough one to check out because there is only one instance and it can't be replicated.  If it does happen again, let me know straight away and note the name of the programme, channel and if guide shows the Subtitle icon to show it should be available. 

I'm sorry for the inconvenience caused in the meantime.  If you are experiencing buffering issues using your laptop and your Broadband connection is with us, drop a post to our  Broadband Team to see if they can check the connection out to ensure all is running smoothly for you.

Let me know how you get on, we're here to help if you need us. Smiley Happy

All the best.

Tech fan? Have you read our Digital life blog yet? Check it out

0 Kudos
ElviraKate
On our wavelength
Message 5 of 5
Flag for a moderator

OK, thanks. Last Sunday's was fine.
0 Kudos