Menu
RobbieK
Joining in
Message 1 of 4
Flag for a moderator

Home Hub - Tivobox!

Evening all

Rather a long winded request for assistance i'm afraid! Scenario! recently refurbished house with TV point in every room. All TV points with 2 number cat 5E outlets, which route to a 24 port unmanaged switch in the utility room. I have had Virgin engineer put wifi router and Tivo Box in the utility room, and have no issues with internet, not doing so well with Tivo box. I bought a Maplin HDMI to 5E converter, plugged HDMI lead to Tivo and converter, plus 2number cat5E patch leads to converter and 24 port switch. Down stairs, which is where the TV position I would like completed first, I plug 2 Cat 5E patches from the wall outlet to the Receiver and HDMI to TV. After hours of buggering about, Nothing. Perhaps its the Virgin remote, so I down loaded the Virgin app. Nothing.. 

A step by step explanation of where i have gone wrong with a step by step solution would be very much appreciated. 

Im very much not an IT/AV person. I struggle to get a radio channel at times.. Be gentle!

RobbieK

0 Kudos
stevedh2
Knows their stuff
Message 2 of 4
Flag for a moderator

Re: Home Hub - Tivobox!

Is the tivo LED white...

Also do NOT connected the HDMI converters via the switch.. just patch them directly to each other.

1st step, grab a monitor if you can't move a tv near the tivo and connect it directly to make sure it works there. if that works then do you have another  HDMI sources you could try connecting through the converters... say a pc and see if that works.

0 Kudos
RobbieK
Joining in
Message 3 of 4
Flag for a moderator

Morning, and thanks for response.

It will be later today when I get a small TV to put locally, hesitant to carry the big one up stairs as I may really end up with nothing.. I have security cameras which im setting up, also with a HDMI which I swapped for the Tivo box. same result nothing. Possible faulty HDMI splitter, will check with small TV also later..

I have taken the 2 Cat cables from the router and input directly to the HDMI splitter (both ends) also connected the TV to internet via wifi. Still nothing! its a new TV which displays factory saved images together with No signal sub-title. I have chosen Cable from the selection of Cable, antenna or satellite, also played with HDMI input options (2 of) 

I have learnt from another chat also that the switch cannot work with the HDMI, which will be the next issue to resolve, for now id be pleased with one TV up and running. 

0 Kudos
stevedh2
Knows their stuff
Message 4 of 4
Flag for a moderator

As I mentioned before DO NOT CONNECT THE HDMI VIA THE SWITCH, YOU COULD DAMAGE THE SWITCH. you need to patch them directly together.

the hdmi to 5E converter does not convert the hdmi signal to network packets, it just converts the HDMI signals to something that can be threaded through the 8 core ethernet cable. you need to patch the cables directly together in your patch box, NOT go via the switch.

assuming you have a patch panel (I have one) and the 5E cable from the box comes in on 18 and the 5E cable from your tv comes in on on 10 then you just connect a patch cable from 18 to 10...

if you dont use a patch panel and just have the cable from the Tivo and the TV then you need to join them using an RJ45 female to female cable coupler.

--edit--

ps if you want to transfer your hdmi as network packets through your switch, you'd need a HDMI to IP converter which cost in the £100s and then you'd also need something to convert the now streaming network stream back to hdmi, or maybe some of the more recent smart tv's can handle the network stream directly.

0 Kudos