Menu
Engeloid
Tuning in
Message 1 of 13
Flag for a moderator

Help with Series Link

I'm having issues with the series link function on my Tivo box. I can add shows, and they are then listed in the list of series links I have, but a lot of them never then record, or show that they are going to in my Planned Recordings.  For example, I added the new series of Elementary last week, and it should have started recording this week, but didn't.  There were no clashes, and in the end, I've had to set the next few episodes to record manually.  I know a lot of people have said to trust the Tivo box to find a time it can record but a) mine has never done that and b) I still have issues with it only trying to record the first showing of something, and not an episode that might be repeated at a time that doesn't clash.  I feel like I'm having to do all the work myself to get the shows I want, and I'm still missing some of them.  Is there a setting I should have that'll get it working reliably?

0 Kudos

Helpful Answers
Superuser
Superuser
Message 13 of 13
Flag for a moderator
Helpful Answer

Re: Help with Series Link

Accept the clash, because the clash will be with your existing manual recording which you can now delete.

TV: XL+SkySports V6
BB: 200Mbps SuperHub: Arris
Loc: ME10
    Please use the Search feature before starting a new thread
To thank or if you Like a post, use the Kudos +button. If it's an answer to your query, click Options.
Finally, if all else fails, take a deep breath and remember there's more to life than the internet and TV!
0 Kudos

All Replies
Superuser
Superuser
Message 2 of 13
Flag for a moderator

TiVo has a bit of a learning curve, but once you understand it, it's a lot more hands off than any other box.

A little light reading to follow....

Series Link settings:

New - Content completely new to the UK, not new to the channel. The Simpsons on Sky1 is new to the UK so will have the New flag, whereas the same episode broadcast on Ch4 a year later has already been shown in the UK, so will not get marked as New.

New & Reruns - As above, plus the first appearance of any episode of the programme broadcast within a rolling 28 day window. If an episode of Top Gear is broadcast at 09:00 1st Jan on Dave, then when Dave repeat the same episode at 13:00 it won't get recorded. In fact no matter how many times Dave repeat the same episode, it will not get recorded again until 29th Jan. It will also record the different episode that is broadcast at 12:00 using the same rules.

** It is worth noting that at present the particular series of the programme which is broadcasting is not taken into account. i.e. there is no method to ask it to specifically filter out and record series 16 of Top Gear, you'll get whatever is being broadcast, though you should only get one copy of each episode during the 28 day window **

Everything - The fastest way to fill up the HDD. This will record every single instance of the programme it encounters, no matter how many times the channel broadcast it.

Also:

This may explain things a little more clearly:

Why can't the BBC keep to their schedules...

Why do I have to record reminders?

To thank or if you Like a post, use the Kudos +button. If it's an answer to your query, click Options.
Finally, if all else fails, take a deep breath and remember there's more to life than the internet and TV!
0 Kudos
Engeloid
Tuning in
Message 3 of 13
Flag for a moderator

Thanks for such a quick response!  :-)  Unfortunately, I don't think it explains the issues I'm having with my Series Links.  As an example, the series link for Elementary is set to New episodes only, and for all channels.  I've also found that I have some series links (also set up for New episodes on all channels) that just stop recording half way through the series, or leave me with an empty folder in My Shows (which I'm assuming is something to do with Streaming Video which is something else I don't understand).

Sorry - I probably sound like a massive technophobe but I am normally good with techy things (I work in IT so I should be!) but this isn't making any sense to me.

0 Kudos
Superuser
Superuser
Message 4 of 13
Flag for a moderator

My advice is to set the recording default to new only no streaming and select a single channel to record from, if you need streaming/multi channel  for a particular series do that one individually

0 Kudos
Engeloid
Tuning in
Message 5 of 13
Flag for a moderator

I tried that as well in case it was having issues with All channels.  Sadly, it made no difference.

0 Kudos
Superuser
Superuser
Message 6 of 13
Flag for a moderator

As I said, there's a learning curve and it isn't necessarily the most intuitive system to get to grips with.

What, if anything, does the Recording Hiccups screen say if an episode doesn't record?

Are you trying to record the entire series to binge watch, or watching each episode then deleting?
What are the full settings for the series link?

0 Kudos
Engeloid
Tuning in
Message 7 of 13
Flag for a moderator

I think I've figured it out from looking at the settings to show you (thank you!), but you might be able to help me further then.  I think it was the 'Record in HD' option - I don't remember seeing that before but we don't have the HD channels so that explains it not recording.  I've just tries to change it though, and it's come up with a Series Link+ Conflicts error saying there's an overlap, so if I ok it, another show will be clipped.  Why doesn't it then find a different recording that doesn't clash?  Sorry for all the questions but as you say - once it's working I'm hoping it'll be great!

0 Kudos
Superuser
Superuser
Message 8 of 13
Flag for a moderator

I checked my series links and elementary is working ok for me, it recorded tuesday night and is down for next week, it's only repeated once on a Saturday, the only other reason I can think of that it won't record is if it clashes on both days and it's a low priority show

0 Kudos
Engeloid
Tuning in
Message 9 of 13
Flag for a moderator

No clashes - I was able to manually set it for Saturday's recording. I think it was the fact I hadn't noticed the series link was set to always HD when I don't have HD channels. Is that a new option do you know, as I don't remember seeing it before?
0 Kudos
Superuser
Superuser
Message 10 of 13
Flag for a moderator

Engeloid wrote:

I think I've figured it out from looking at the settings to show you (thank you!), but you might be able to help me further then.  I think it was the 'Record in HD' option - I don't remember seeing that before but we don't have the HD channels so that explains it not recording.  I've just tries to change it though, and it's come up with a Series Link+ Conflicts error saying there's an overlap, so if I ok it, another show will be clipped.  Why doesn't it then find a different recording that doesn't clash?  Sorry for all the questions but as you say - once it's working I'm hoping it'll be great!

If you ignore the clash message it will reschedule the show for the next showing (saturday) it may take a few minutes for this to show up

0 Kudos