Menu
omendata
Superfast
Message 1 of 9
Flag for a moderator

Having issues with your TV box since last week? Read on!

Why isnt this board and its moderators aware and notifying users with recent problems with their Tivo box that virgin applied a major tivo update last week that has caused some problems with Tivo?

Forum Team
Forum Team
Message 2 of 9
Flag for a moderator

Re: Having issues with your TV box since last week? Read on!

Hi omendata

Thanks for your feedback, truth be told we're not seeing a lot of negative feedback on the boards or from customers that I'm aware of, as always we'll look to resolve every issue we can through this Community so appreciate you taking the time to raise the concern.

We'll be here if you need any assistance

Craig

New around here? To find out more about the Community check out our Getting Started guide

omendata
Superfast
Message 3 of 9
Flag for a moderator

Yes well thats because people dont know its been updated , are just content to take it and not complain as is the British way but i can see loads of posts after the update complaining about problems from freeezing to glitches to slow response - this is definitely an issue with the update - im a systems programmer and I am meticuluous about my research , testing and organisation and i can tell for 100% certainty the update is slowing the system down - cmon surely you knowe the box itself has 512mb to host the Linux os and the tivo app along with all the cached thumbs , guide etc data in upper memory. Its just like a windows system that has been used for years and builds up millions of files in the temp directory not to mention all the cached internet guff and more...Linux isnt perfect either!

[MOD EDIT: Inappropriate language removed, please review the Forum Guidelines]

Bingley
Superfast
Message 4 of 9
Flag for a moderator

Honestly Craig , exactly which forum are you looking at then ? There are endless complaints about the tivo updates. I for one have had nothing but problems with this useless box since the update .Today again for the 4th time this week Catchup and ondemand not available !!!!. I am starting now to ask for credit on my account for this substandard service.

omendata
Superfast
Message 5 of 9
Flag for a moderator

Yes i agree , i find in increduluous with all the posts on here complaining about the same thing with the box being slow after yet another update and you get guys like Craig coming on who seem to be clueless or either just dont care and are doing the usual IT Crowd "switch it on and back off again" routine - the 512mb of the Cisco box clearly isnt up to the job but I understand it would take a major upgrade to the boxes as the memory is not upgradeable - so why keep updating when it seems to be just cosmetic changes - how about virgin actually supply us with an email letting us know its happening and whats in the updates? But no , customer service is getting worse , for a start get rid of the overseas call centres and bring the jobs back to the uk - the overseas call centres dont understand a word i am saying or either dont care or i cant understand them or get them to clearly understand the problem - disgraceful!

fergiet
Superfast
Message 6 of 9
Flag for a moderator

They don't want to admit there is an issue.

Since the update my box is slow, very slow. In the past I know that people complained about box being slow but always found mine ok. Now however it is dead slow, and it's very annoying.

In addition try recording BBC1 Olympics on Series Link+ at the same time as as setting a link on BBC2 Olympics. It does not work ! One cancels out the other.

Pain in the b.m as recordings for second channel need to be set individually. I know we have all the extra BBC Olympic channels and the Iplayer but I should be able to set them both up as a series. It worked for the couple of days prior to us getting the update.

I am fairly tech savy and noticed we had an update but I bet the majority of users don't notice. (my wife was one). Why not have a big bold notice "your Tivo has been updated".

Anyway rant over, if they don't fix it soon I may have to get a dish !
0 Kudos
omendata
Superfast
Message 7 of 9
Flag for a moderator

Got myself a dish and a Skybox F3 but the recording is terrible and thats why Tivo wins hands down>
You could also get a talktalk DN370T box off ebay - I got mine for £15 its brand new but fails to match Virgins box as it only records two channels at once and the tivo style functions are not as good as Virgins box but Ive had enough I am willing to sacrifice it as I actually get more channels on freeview with the talktalk box at zero cost over virgins "M" or "M+" packages and I have plenty more extra channels on the satellite F3 Box.

0 Kudos
carll
On our wavelength
Message 8 of 9
Flag for a moderator

I to have been affected by this, every remote/menu action has slowed down massively since the update,  sometimes it can take a minute just to get the TV schedule up the same to play a recorded program I keep the deleted programs folder empty removed all series links & suggestions yet it doesn't make a bit of difference. The performance of the Tivo box is shockingly poor.

omendata
Superfast
Message 9 of 9
Flag for a moderator

I havent tried it yet but go to the main menu and do a complete Tivo hardware reset - if this doesnt work then it conclusively proves that the update has snafu'd the box and something is up that Virgin really should be looking at - once you have a product that so severely underperforms even the awful talktalk freeview boxes customers arent going to like the usability.

Sky boxes seems to have cracked it but we must remember that the tivo box virgin provide is actually an American product that has been modified to run on entirely new hardware with modded software but you would think futureproofing would have been in the minds of the Managers when this product was introduced and 1gb of ram should have been specified - the managers that started the tivo project and specified the hardware should be fired - future-proofing should have at least had some place in the project.

0 Kudos