Menu
FrusTivo
Joining in
Message 1 of 4
Flag for a moderator

Has someone messed with the "suggestions" algorithm? (Newbie first post)

I returned from a week away to find 33 rubbish programmes recorded - including some already marked as thumbs down! - which not only wiped out a bunch of previously unwatched recordings (because the default settings are also inadequate!)  

I have reviewed all series links and all now show "keep until I delete" but why they shouldn't be by default, I do not understand. 

I am now faced with at least 5 rubbish suggestions every day, again including triple thumbs down programmes, and I wonder if this is a cunning / frustrating plan to make me rate every programme broadcast on TV-XL?? 

So many more frustrations with this system, but I must stop somewhere; maybe I shall return if this receives any response.

(I was directed here by @virginmedia in response to Twitter comments, after I had refused to waste any of my life on the phone to customer no-service.) 

0 Kudos
Superuser
Superuser
Message 2 of 4
Flag for a moderator

Re: Has someone messed with the "suggestions" algorithm? (Newbie first post)

Suggestion will not delete planned recordings to make room, if they are annoying you simply turn them off

0 Kudos
Tavis75
Well-informed
Message 3 of 4
Flag for a moderator

Making all your programs "Keep until I delete" is not recommended, there is ironically a bug that can lead to programs being randomly deleted which is made more likely by doing this.

The "Keep until space needed" default makes sense though, otherwise if the box filled up it would have to stop recording new programs. I would suggest only using, "Keep until I delete" for programs you especially want to retain.

As for suggestions, as has been stated you can turn them off but I don't really see the point in that, they go into the suggestions folder so you don't even really notice them unless you go and look, and they don't contribute to the used space on the box etc. and occasionally when you can't find anything to watch, there might be something good in there!

0 Kudos
mbonnick
Rising star
Message 4 of 4
Flag for a moderator

dannylau wrote:

Suggestion will not delete planned recordings to make room, if they are annoying you simply turn them off

You would hope wouldn't you.  My box has deleted stuff before with the reason quoted as space required for other recordings, and the only thing that was recording at that time was a suggestion, no planned recordings set for that evening at all.

So whilst logic says what you say should be right, I have witnessed otherwise, hence why I turn suggestions off unless I have ample available space left on the hard drive.....

0 Kudos