Menu
fatcontroller
Dialled in
Message 1 of 17
Flag for a moderator

Has our TiVo expired?

This afternoon, we had a brief power cut, and it appears that our TiVo box may be a casualty.  Since the power went back on, the box is stuck in Start Up and we can hear a couple of noises every couple of seconds (hard drive trying to start?)

Initially, the Starting up Screen is a lilac colour with white writing on, then after a while it changes to a black screen with white writing;  every so often, all the LED's on the front of the box illuminate, but other than that there is nothing doing.  We have tried disconnecting it from the mains for a while and starting it up 'properly', however nothing changes.

Ours must be one of the first TiVo boxes that came out, so it is quite elderly in electronics terms. 

Before we call in for further assistance, is there anything else that I should try?

0 Kudos

Helpful Answers
Superuser
Superuser
Message 2 of 17
Flag for a moderator
Helpful Answer

Re: Has our TiVo expired?

Sounds terminal.

Give them a ring and get a replacement sorted.

TV: XL+SkySports V6
BB: 200Mbps SuperHub: Arris
Loc: ME10
    Please use the Search feature before starting a new thread
To thank or if you Like a post, use the Kudos +button. If it's an answer to your query, click Options.
Finally, if all else fails, take a deep breath and remember there's more to life than the internet and TV!
fatcontroller
Dialled in
Message 5 of 17
Flag for a moderator
Helpful Answer

Hmmmm......

I am just off the phone to book an engineer, and we can't get anyone out until NEXT Monday! Fantastic level of service from VM - NOT!!

I think maybe the hint is to start looking at the packages being offered by Sky.
0 Kudos

All Replies
Superuser
Superuser
Message 2 of 17
Flag for a moderator
Helpful Answer

Sounds terminal.

Give them a ring and get a replacement sorted.

To thank or if you Like a post, use the Kudos +button. If it's an answer to your query, click Options.
Finally, if all else fails, take a deep breath and remember there's more to life than the internet and TV!
fatcontroller
Dialled in
Message 3 of 17
Flag for a moderator

Aye, I kinda thought it might be.  I am now wondering if this is a big hint that we should be looking at getting the new V6 box......

Thank you Smiley Happy

0 Kudos
Superuser
Superuser
Message 4 of 17
Flag for a moderator

Certainly worth a try!

fatcontroller
Dialled in
Message 5 of 17
Flag for a moderator
Helpful Answer

Hmmmm......

I am just off the phone to book an engineer, and we can't get anyone out until NEXT Monday! Fantastic level of service from VM - NOT!!

I think maybe the hint is to start looking at the packages being offered by Sky.
0 Kudos
fatcontroller
Dialled in
Message 6 of 17
Flag for a moderator

As this is just going to be a box swap, can VM not send out a box by courier or something, and then arrange to get the dead one back at their leisure? Also, is there a way to get to speak to someone in the UK rather than India, as every time we speak to someone in India, it seems they can only do a very limited range of things?
0 Kudos
Superuser
Superuser
Message 7 of 17
Flag for a moderator

If it's just an issue with the box, then this is usually what happens.

The fact you have a visit booked suggests more than just the box at fault.

Generally the only way to get through to the UK is to head to Retentions.

fatcontroller
Dialled in
Message 8 of 17
Flag for a moderator

Thanks.  I might have to go down the retentions route then, because my Mrs without her telly box for a week is not going to be pleasant.  I've even tried to initiate online chat to see what the story is with the new V6 box, but can't even get to communicate with anyone that way.  We really would rather not go to Sky, as we have been customers since the days of Telewest & NTL - however, £87 a month to be left without telly for a week is starting to look a bit poor in the value stakes.

EDIT - if it were more than just the box, would the V+ box upstairs and the broadband not be affected also?

0 Kudos
Superuser
Superuser
Message 9 of 17
Flag for a moderator

Ah, a less than favourable situation!

V6 box is in essence a TiVo with much newer hardware, wifi, and 6 tuners. Definitely give them a ring.

You'd have thought so, which makes me wonder why they're not just shipping you a new one.

fatcontroller
Dialled in
Message 10 of 17
Flag for a moderator

Thanks - going to stick the kettle on and give it a go.
0 Kudos