Menu
jenfamily
On our wavelength
Message 1 of 3
Flag for a moderator

Handy reminders / Changing your recordings

Hi everyone,( especially Printerelf )

At the risk of repeating myself ( for which I'm truly sorry ) Having asked and received very detailed advice and being signposted to a previous answer from Printerelf about 'Record and Remind this episode' I began studying in more detail the booklet which came with the installation 'Get Stuck In' Having understood from what Printerelf told me that 3 tuners are available to enable one of them to record and remind,whilst the other two will,record shows whilst watching a live channel, 'Changing your recordings' basically shows you how to change a planned recording into a reminder.

The next bit 'Handy reminders' concurrs with what printer elf's link told me BUT I still can't get my head around 'Don't want to miss a show? Set a reminder and your telly will tell you when the show is starting' When you set up,you can set a reminder too' What should I be looking for on the screen? I've experimented this morning by recording and reminding a show which follows on from one I was watching and noticed the red light on to show it was recording but other than 'up next' is the name of the next showhow is the telly reminding me.I also watched a program on BBC and set a record /remind on ITV to see if I would see something flash up on the screen to prompt me that the ITV show was about to start. I've checked my 'Modify Recording' 'Recording Options' and the reminder is already set to On.I don't think I'm doing anything wrong am I?

Purely out of interest I wondered what the purpose was of the bulky silver / chrome 'cable connectors' which appear in between the cable coming into the house and the cable going into the back of the box and also into the hub ( obviously a co-axial  connector has to be put right on the end).I def don't have a 'splitter' and wondered why the cable from outside which passes through the wall doesn't go directly into the box or hub.There must be a reason why the cable is joined!

steve

0 Kudos

Helpful Answers
Superuser
Superuser
Message 2 of 3
Flag for a moderator
Helpful Answer

Re: Handy reminders / Changing your recordings

jenfamily wrote:

I've experimented this morning by recording and reminding a show which follows on from one I was watching and noticed the red light on to show it was recording but other than 'up next' is the name of the next showhow is the telly reminding me.I also watched a program on BBC and set a record /remind on ITV to see if I would see something flash up on the screen to prompt me that the ITV show was about to start. I've checked my 'Modify Recording' 'Recording Options' and the reminder is already set to On.I don't think I'm doing anything wrong am I?

It certainly doesn't sound like you are though I have to confess I've not actually had cause to use the functionality for a very long time - One thing you can find yourself in the habit of with TiVo being so proficient at recording, is it being very rare to actually watch live TV. Something to test when I get home later!

jenfamily wrote:

Purely out of interest I wondered what the purpose was of the bulky silver / chrome 'cable connectors' which appear in between the cable coming into the house and the cable going into the back of the box and also into the hub (obviously a co-axial connector has to be put right on the end).I def don't have a 'splitter' and wondered why the cable from outside which passes through the wall doesn't go directly into the box or hub.There must be a reason why the cable is joined!

They could well be attenuators (3db possibly, it's usually printed on them), to reduce the power of the signal to within an acceptable range before entering the connected devices.

TV: XL+SkySports V6
BB: 200Mbps SuperHub: Arris
Loc: ME10
    Please use the Search feature before starting a new thread
To thank or if you Like a post, use the Kudos +button. If it's an answer to your query, click Options.
Finally, if all else fails, take a deep breath and remember there's more to life than the internet and TV!

All Replies
Superuser
Superuser
Message 2 of 3
Flag for a moderator
Helpful Answer

jenfamily wrote:

I've experimented this morning by recording and reminding a show which follows on from one I was watching and noticed the red light on to show it was recording but other than 'up next' is the name of the next showhow is the telly reminding me.I also watched a program on BBC and set a record /remind on ITV to see if I would see something flash up on the screen to prompt me that the ITV show was about to start. I've checked my 'Modify Recording' 'Recording Options' and the reminder is already set to On.I don't think I'm doing anything wrong am I?

It certainly doesn't sound like you are though I have to confess I've not actually had cause to use the functionality for a very long time - One thing you can find yourself in the habit of with TiVo being so proficient at recording, is it being very rare to actually watch live TV. Something to test when I get home later!

jenfamily wrote:

Purely out of interest I wondered what the purpose was of the bulky silver / chrome 'cable connectors' which appear in between the cable coming into the house and the cable going into the back of the box and also into the hub (obviously a co-axial connector has to be put right on the end).I def don't have a 'splitter' and wondered why the cable from outside which passes through the wall doesn't go directly into the box or hub.There must be a reason why the cable is joined!

They could well be attenuators (3db possibly, it's usually printed on them), to reduce the power of the signal to within an acceptable range before entering the connected devices.

TV: XL+SkySports V6
BB: 200Mbps SuperHub: Arris
Loc: ME10
    Please use the Search feature before starting a new thread
To thank or if you Like a post, use the Kudos +button. If it's an answer to your query, click Options.
Finally, if all else fails, take a deep breath and remember there's more to life than the internet and TV!
jenfamily
On our wavelength
Message 3 of 3
Flag for a moderator

Well I never!!!

Ureka!!

Something worked as I just tried again by setting a record & remind on one channel whilst watching another and up came a huge reminder on the screen.

I think it's important to check that if you've planned a recording for the future and want to change it to record & remind then,check 'modify recording' to ensure that 'remind' is on.Maybe this is what I've been doing wrong.Thanks again Printer elf.

Steve

0 Kudos