Menu
Eric_T
Knows their stuff
Message 1 of 6
Flag for a moderator

HDMI and Digital audio: Any suggestions?

I have just been forced to agree to a new deal in order to get an updated SuperHub2ac because that is the only solution to overcome the software bug introduced in the last update to the SuperHub2 I had.

So now I have to have a Tivo. I did have a V+ box which gave me HD via HDMI into my TV with no trouble.

I may have a faulty box, but I fear that the Tivo is incompatible with my TV. So I fear that I have a choice of trying to back out of my deal so I can have TV and unsatisfactory broadband, or stick with it and have broadband but poor/no TV. A TiVo box making a noise in the corner recording things I can't see at decent quality is not much use.

I have an engineer booked for next week, the earliest mutually agreeable time. However, I do wonder whether there is anything else I could do to get it going.

We have 3 Samsung TVs in the house. A T240HD which is the one I want to use for VM, and two more modern ones. The T240HD is about 5 years old, the others are 6 months and 18 months old.

I started the install on the T240HD with just HDMI connected and it all went through to the point where it got me to configure the remote control. In my fumblings with that I turned the Tivo into standby. When I turned it back out of  standby, the TV reported "NO SIGNAL" on the HDMI input. After waiting for a long time, I de-powered the Tivo and restarted it. The TV displayed some "Starting up.." screens but in-between warned of no signal and stck that way for an hour or so. That's when I called support, hoping for some magic reset button. They decided to book an engineer.

Then it occurred to me to try the SCART output and I found some low-quality video and the menu system. I had really forgotten how horrid analogue domestic video is. I found the Clear All item and ran that hoping for a clean start which might restore the HDMI. It didn't.

I did it again, making sure that as soon as I had started the procedure, I removed the SCART lead and had the HDMI selected on the TV. No luck. I saw a few monochrome starting up screens, but not the one with the coloured clock.

Now I tried with both of the modern TVs and a different HDMI cable. Again no luck, but after one of my clear-all/reload sessions using HDMI on a new TV (with a scart plugged into another TV so I could press buttons at the right time) it seemed to fix it so I had the menus back when connected to the T240HD, but still no signal on a new TV.

Note that all rewiring was done with the power to everything off - apart from possible static damage there is always a possibility that the software does some handshaking with the TV during power up. The only thing changed live was to remove a scart connection.

So now I have a Tivo box that, when connected to two recent TVs causes them to say "NO SIGNAL" and where looking at the status menu via the scart shows HDMI as not connected. However when connected to the T240HD it shows menus. Unfortunately it reports an HDCP error in the status menu which is probably why it will not display any pictures or send sound (except for the Scart option which is, of course, poor quality.)

I fear that no Tivo box is going to work with my T240HD TV. I think it may be too old to support the required version of HDCP.

I'm also disappointed that I can't get plain old stereo digital audio out of the optical link. I used that a lot for radio on the V+. Maybe that would work if I could find a compatible TV.

Before the engineer arrives, is there anything else I can try? Is the Tivo sensitive to the order in which your turn things on? Can support give the box a factory reset that is in any way more effective then the clear all option I have tried? 

0 Kudos
dralanhart
On our wavelength
Message 2 of 6
Flag for a moderator

Re: HDMI and Digital audio: Any suggestions?

The hdcp problem seems unlikely to be due to a 5 year old TV. I have an early Bravia with only one HDMI. It has to be 10 years old, and has no problems with TiVo.
Eric_T
Knows their stuff
Message 3 of 6
Flag for a moderator

@dralanhart Thanks for the comment - gives me a bit of hope. Maybe the engineer will be able to fix it!
0 Kudos
Forum Team
Forum Team
Message 4 of 6
Flag for a moderator

Hi Eric_T, 

Thanks for your post and I'm sorry to hear you are having an issue with your sound. 

We are aware of this issue and are currently working on getting this sorted. 

We appreciate it's frustrating but the current work around is: 

Changing settings on TiVo box to Help & Setting > SettingsAudioDolby Digital>Dolby Digital to PCM will restore stereo sound. Alternatively, using the HDMI connection instead of the optical output would restore Dolby Digital.

Once we have any news on this, we'll let you know.

Thanks,

Kath_F
Forum Team

Tech fan? Have you read our Digital life blog yet? Check it out

0 Kudos
Eric_T
Knows their stuff
Message 5 of 6
Flag for a moderator

Thanks Kath for trying to help. It seems all my troubles were caused by a faulty TiVo box. The VM engineer replaced it today and it all went right. The icing on the cake is that the disc drive in the new box is quieter (not that the previous one was noisy enough for me to consider it faulty.) 

0 Kudos
Forum Team
Forum Team
Message 6 of 6
Flag for a moderator

Hi Eric_T,

Thanks for the update Smiley Happy

It's great to hear we've sorted you out with a new box and that this one is running a bit quieter Smiley Happy

Should you need us for anything in the future, you know where to find us.

All the best Smiley Happy

Tech fan? Have you read our Digital life blog yet? Check it out

0 Kudos