Menu
ten-tenths
On our wavelength
Message 1 of 6
Flag for a moderator

HARD DRIVE SPINNING UP AT NIGHT

I have seen this reported by others but not really seen a definitive answer. Our Tivo is set to standby overnight, but at seemingly random times the hard drive spins up. It stays spinning for anything between 30 seconds and 20 minutes and then it spins down, it might do this three or four times a night. There doesn't seem to be any set pattern to it (it can do it at any time when its in standby). The Tivo is in our bedroom and the noise of the harddrive spinning up and down is rather annoying. Other than turning the power completely off is there any was of limiting hard drive activity in standby ?

Jon

0 Kudos
stevedh2
Knows their stuff
Message 2 of 6
Flag for a moderator

Re: HARD DRIVE SPINNING UP AT NIGHT

I assume there are no recording set, although its probably doing updates and stuff, which it tries to do when your not using it as it pretty much kills the machine while its doing it.

0 Kudos
ten-tenths
On our wavelength
Message 3 of 6
Flag for a moderator

Not doing recordings, and I thought EPG updates were done early morning. This occurs randomly throughout the night. Tivo drives seem a lot noisier than the ones in the V6.

0 Kudos
ten-tenths
On our wavelength
Message 4 of 6
Flag for a moderator

Anyone at VM able to help with this ? Hard drive spins up maybe 4 - 6 times during the night and stays running for anything between 10 seconds and 30 minutes. Wouldn't be so bad if it didn't start up with a thunk.... Really quite noticeable in a bedroom in the middle of the night.

Jon

0 Kudos
Rabangus
Dialled in
Message 5 of 6
Flag for a moderator

The V6 boxes do the same too - but more quietly. Why they need to spin up so frequently when not recording and not updating is a mystery to me.

If you have the box on a wooden cabinet try putting something soft and vibration absorbing in between the box and the cabinet - that does make a bit of a difference...

0 Kudos
Forum Team
Forum Team
Message 6 of 6
Flag for a moderator

Thanks for posting ten-tenths and sorry to hear about the issue experienced,

I've located your account and the hard drive status is currently displaying as active with no cause for concern.

It's worth following the advice of the Community regarding this.

Let me know how you get on, Smiley Happy

Nat_J

Who's who? Find out more about our community members. Good folk to know

0 Kudos