Menu
boysim34
Dialled in
Message 1 of 5
Flag for a moderator

Getting Tivo to Work Through Glass

HI there, is there anyway to get the tivo to work behind glass, we want to put ours in a cabinet but when we tried this the remote wont work . everything else is fine and works a treat, dvd,comp etc but the tivo box nothing at all. any ideas

0 Kudos

Helpful Answers
Superuser
Superuser
Message 2 of 5
Flag for a moderator
Helpful Answer

Re: Getting Tivo to Work Through Glass

You have several options

1. Try new remote batteries before anything else. Low batteries could reduce the strength of the Infra Red signal from the remote.

2. If your TiVo box is connected to your home network you can use the TV Anywhere app as a remote to control your TiVo box whilst they're both connected to the same network.

3. If the glass is stopping the IR commands, you could try an IR repeater. This would have a receiver outside the glass and then a transmitter inside the glass. But this is powered device so would need a power supply.

4. You could consider upgrading to the new V6 box. This using a RF remote, rather than IR and so would work through glass (and most other things) easily.
I work for Virgin Media - but all opinions posted here are my own
stevedh2
Knows their stuff
Message 3 of 5
Flag for a moderator
Helpful Answer

Odd, I thought it would have worked through glass..

anyway options are

1) IR extender, although most of the cheap ones get their power from a usb adapter, but easily sorted with either a spare usb socket somewhere or a spare phone charger

2) Just use the remote in the anywhere app on your phone... as long as the Tivo is connected to your home network.

3) Upgrade to a V6, its remote uses radio waves (possibly bluetooth).

All Replies
Superuser
Superuser
Message 2 of 5
Flag for a moderator
Helpful Answer

You have several options

1. Try new remote batteries before anything else. Low batteries could reduce the strength of the Infra Red signal from the remote.

2. If your TiVo box is connected to your home network you can use the TV Anywhere app as a remote to control your TiVo box whilst they're both connected to the same network.

3. If the glass is stopping the IR commands, you could try an IR repeater. This would have a receiver outside the glass and then a transmitter inside the glass. But this is powered device so would need a power supply.

4. You could consider upgrading to the new V6 box. This using a RF remote, rather than IR and so would work through glass (and most other things) easily.
I work for Virgin Media - but all opinions posted here are my own
stevedh2
Knows their stuff
Message 3 of 5
Flag for a moderator
Helpful Answer

Odd, I thought it would have worked through glass..

anyway options are

1) IR extender, although most of the cheap ones get their power from a usb adapter, but easily sorted with either a spare usb socket somewhere or a spare phone charger

2) Just use the remote in the anywhere app on your phone... as long as the Tivo is connected to your home network.

3) Upgrade to a V6, its remote uses radio waves (possibly bluetooth).

boysim34
Dialled in
Message 4 of 5
Flag for a moderator

Thanks for the quick answers, i think i have found one,

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Repeater-Pootack-Infrared-Amplifier-Satellite/dp/B01HZELHT6/ref=pd_lpo_147_...

would this work with the usb port on the tivo box, is the ir reciever on the box the little circle on the left hand side of the box?

0 Kudos
darp63
On our wavelength
Message 5 of 5
Flag for a moderator

Mine has always worked fine behind glass.
0 Kudos