Menu
deans6571
Knows their stuff
Message 1 of 23
Flag for a moderator

Getting Sick and Tired of TiVo Turning ON by Itself.....

Over the last 2 weeks, I have witnessed my TiVo, turning on, all by itself.

By this I mean, this: Every night, I will put it into Standby (Standby light shows red) after having finished watching tv for the evening, however, in the morning, when I glance at my TiVo, the Standby light shows green?? Smiley Mad

This is not just a one off. My Tivo has been doing this for the past 2 weeks. At least every other day, this is happening......

My TiVo never used to do this before?? Are there any checks which VM can do, from here, whcih may show why this is happening?

Its very frustrating...

Smiley Indifferent

[MOD EDIT: Subject heading changed to assist community]

Helpful Answers
Forum Team
Forum Team
Message 11 of 23
Flag for a moderator
Helpful Answer

Re: Getting Sick & Tired of TiVo Turning ON by Itself.....

Hi Dean6571 and barrylowry,

I just wanted to let you know I have checked both your accounts and can confirm you are being affect by this issue updated here:

Re: Rebooting at 06:55am

I'm sorry for the disruption you've experienced, we hope to have this resolved over the next few days.  Please keep me posted on how you get on.  

If anything changes, I'll keep you all posted.  Thank you for your patience.

Collette Smiley Happy

Tech fan? Have you read our Digital life blog yet? Check it out

All Replies
jb66
Alessandro Volta
Message 2 of 23
Flag for a moderator

Whats the big deal? So the led is green instead of red, not worth bothering about
0 Kudos
Superuser
Superuser
Message 3 of 23
Flag for a moderator

At a guess it's rebooting during the early hours and it hasn't had time to go back into standby before you get up, you can check if it's rebooted by pressing the info button and scrolling down to see what channels the tuners are on. if they are all on the same channel it's rebooted.

If it's rebooting it could be due to network maintenance in your area over night or it could be signal issues, but if it were signal issues I would expect it to do this during the day as well.

0 Kudos
barrylowry
Superfast
Message 4 of 23
Flag for a moderator

My TIVO is doing the same thing. For the past week, every day  it is out of standby when i get up.  There seems to be a lot of posts about this in different threads, so  I doubt its the individual TIVO that is at fault. About  12-18 months ago there was a similar problem  and it suddenly stopped happening after  loads of people complained about it. If the machine is rebooting then VM needs to stop it happening, otherwise people like me who have  recodings scheduled overnight/early hours because of a wednesday/Thursday recording  bottleneck will not be very happy if  recordings are crapped out because of a reboot we have no control over.

0 Kudos
deans6571
Knows their stuff
Message 5 of 23
Flag for a moderator

dannylau wrote:

At a guess it's rebooting during the early hours and it hasn't had time to go back into standby before you get up, you can check if it's rebooted by pressing the info button and scrolling down to see what channels the tuners are on. if they are all on the same channel it's rebooted.

If it's rebooting it could be due to network maintenance in your area over night or it could be signal issues, but if it were signal issues I would expect it to do this during the day as well.

....appreciate the answer dannylau but I don't think its network maintenance. If that was the case, I would see 1 or 2 reboots but as it is, my TiVo is doing this 4 or 5 times in any given week?! Smiley Frustrated

Also if its rebooting during the early hours, I would assume this would be around 2am-4am however, I'm checking the box again at around 7am, and its still sitting powered On, and not in Standby.

deans6571
Knows their stuff
Message 6 of 23
Flag for a moderator

...and another phantom "turning on by itself" scenario this morning.

Smiley Sad

barrylowry
Superfast
Message 7 of 23
Flag for a moderator

deans6571 wrote:

Smiley Sad

Same here and I checked with my brother, who also has a TIVO and he has the same thing  happening

Come on Virgin either

own up that its your maintenance people that are doing  this, or

own up that that the TIVO had developed yet another undocumented feature that nobody wants.

I try to be so positive about VM and the Tivo but you make it so bloody dificult.Smiley MadSmiley Sad

0 Kudos
deans6571
Knows their stuff
Message 8 of 23
Flag for a moderator

I wonder if this is due to the maintenance going on in Croydon and Enfield as stated here:

http://community.virginmedia.com/t5/Virgin-Media-TiVo-service/TiVo-box-Rebooting-at-06-55am-for-the-...

Collette_T wrote:

Hi All,

I just wanted to pop back again and give you all an update for those who are affected.

We’ve been able to get confirmation from the networks team that this is the result of upgrade work in your local area (Enfield and Croydon) – the boxes were rebooting in order to allow them to connect to the new part of the network.

This work is nearly complete, and the team tell us that this rebooting should stop in the next few days.

We’re so sorry about the inconvenience this has caused.

I will pop back again if anything changes along the way.

Thanks again for your continued patience whilst we work to resolve this issue.

Collette Smiley Happy

deans6571
Knows their stuff
Message 9 of 23
Flag for a moderator

deans6571 wrote:

Smiley Sad

...and YET AGAIN THIS MORNING.

Smiley Mad

Can I have a response from a VM rep please???

barrylowry
Superfast
Message 10 of 23
Flag for a moderator

deans6571 wrote:

deans6571 wrote:

Smiley Sad

...and YET AGAIN THIS MORNING.

Smiley Mad

Can I have a response from a VM rep please???

Snap Dean, My TIVO on again this morning too (RM12 area) my brother's TIVO also on again this morning  (RM13)

Its obviously a)  a bug (so tell us and fix it)  or being done deliberately via what ever maintence you are doing on the network (so tell us and stop it)

VM reps, It cant be that hard to tell us whats going on or are you waiting for the script department to give you another inane,no answer script, to use.

I will have to start doing the maths and work out how much extra electricity you are causing me to use and bill you for it.

0 Kudos