Menu
AdamoDa
Joining in
Message 1 of 5
Flag for a moderator

Get broadcast details - fps, resolution etc?

Hi all,

Liking my new HD tv and of course noticing not all 'HD' broadcasts on HD channels are equally great to look at. It would be interesting to be able to see more details about a show, such as lines being transmitted, or bit rate etc... can it be done? Maybe i cant do much with it but im interested to see what is behind the image, whether teh tv or the tivo is upscaling anything etc etc

(Last tv was a 20 year old CRT) so new to all this, sorry if thats a silly question!

0 Kudos

Helpful Answers
Superuser
Superuser
Message 2 of 5
Flag for a moderator
Helpful Answer

Re: Get broadcast details - fps, resolution etc?

All of Virgins SD channels & some HD channels are direct rebroadcasts of the channels received from satellite (usually Astra or Eutelsat 28.2E). Virgin makes no alteration to these, so you may get some data from satellite monitoring websites like the one linked below:

http://www.digitalbitrate.com/

The remaining HD channels are fed direct to Virgin's SHE (Super Headend) via Fibre, in an uncompressed format.

SU1617jpeg.jpg

Cable customer since 1993. Services: FH TV, Sky Sports & Movies (2xV+), Talk Unlim Telco, VIVID 100, Virgin PAYG Mobile

thanks4nothing
Fibre optic
Message 4 of 5
Flag for a moderator
Helpful Answer

Go to live tv, wait for any graphics to clear. Press, ok, zoom, play, ok, zoom, back, ok. Need to be fairly quick. You will get 3 beeps and resolution, fps etc will be displayed. Do sequence again to remove. Does not have bit rate but you can get that for a recording in My Shows by pressing info and scrolling down if necessary to see disk usage. (calculate bit rate based on duration) There are some fun bugs with disk usage, particularly with radio recordings during a recording which results in lots of recordings being deleted.

This user has left the community.
0 Kudos

All Replies
Superuser
Superuser
Message 2 of 5
Flag for a moderator
Helpful Answer

All of Virgins SD channels & some HD channels are direct rebroadcasts of the channels received from satellite (usually Astra or Eutelsat 28.2E). Virgin makes no alteration to these, so you may get some data from satellite monitoring websites like the one linked below:

http://www.digitalbitrate.com/

The remaining HD channels are fed direct to Virgin's SHE (Super Headend) via Fibre, in an uncompressed format.

SU1617jpeg.jpg

Cable customer since 1993. Services: FH TV, Sky Sports & Movies (2xV+), Talk Unlim Telco, VIVID 100, Virgin PAYG Mobile

AdamoDa
Joining in
Message 3 of 5
Flag for a moderator

Cool that sounds interesting I'll go check it out cheers Smiley Happy
0 Kudos
thanks4nothing
Fibre optic
Message 4 of 5
Flag for a moderator
Helpful Answer

Go to live tv, wait for any graphics to clear. Press, ok, zoom, play, ok, zoom, back, ok. Need to be fairly quick. You will get 3 beeps and resolution, fps etc will be displayed. Do sequence again to remove. Does not have bit rate but you can get that for a recording in My Shows by pressing info and scrolling down if necessary to see disk usage. (calculate bit rate based on duration) There are some fun bugs with disk usage, particularly with radio recordings during a recording which results in lots of recordings being deleted.

This user has left the community.
0 Kudos
AdamoDa
Joining in
Message 5 of 5
Flag for a moderator

Brill! Thanks as well I shall try as that sounds perfect
0 Kudos