Menu
joncbee
On our wavelength
Message 1 of 15
Flag for a moderator

Future of Virgin Tivo?

Since I have had the Virgin "Tivo" box, I have found it to be a disaster, literally from day one. It is very slow, needlessly complicated and completely non-intuitive. The remote control is an ergonomic disaster and infuriating. Reliability has also been an issue.

Now I have found that Virgin have the ability to send software updates without my consent and without warning. I have suffered from such an update within the last week, and have not found any benefits in it: rather, numerous options have been removed, response times are even slower, and the use of logos instead of text has made locating channels virtually impossible in some cases, when the logo for SD, HD and +1 are virtually or completely the same as each other, and in other cases where sister channels have very similar icons.

I cannot understand why Virgin doesn't get the opinions of real users and prototype these changes (and indeed the underlying design). It is inconceivable that anyone in their right mind would be positive about the Tivo's interface and control. It is probably the worst interface I have ever suffered (and I even gave Windows 8 a try, until I ditched that).

But my point is this: we are told there is a new Virgin Tivo box slated for release later in 2016. Should we infer that the trends towards ever more heavy and useless functionality that cripples the box, a continuing reduction in user-configurable options, and dumbed-down, clumsy-looking graphical only dialog boxes that are nothing but a distraction, will be extrapolated into the new device? If so then it will probably be the last straw for me.

The irony is that I was pretty happy with the Samsung V+ box I had before. I wish I could have kept it, despite its faults. All they had to do was to increase disk space and management, improve reliability, and perhaps give an option to suppress the crappy music when navigating menus and it would been fine. Those minor niggles pale into insignificance in comparison with the so-called Tivo.

Helpful Answers
Superuser
Superuser
Message 4 of 15
Flag for a moderator
Helpful Answer

Re: Future of Virgin Tivo?

joncbee wrote:

and the use of logos instead of text has made locating channels virtually impossible in some cases, when the logo for SD, HD and +1 are virtually or completely the same as each other, and in other cases where sister channels have very similar icons.

You can turn off the logos and have the channel names in text via the options under the green button when in the full screen guide.

I work for Virgin Media - but all opinions posted here are my own

All Replies
fredtheted
Up to speed
Message 2 of 15
Flag for a moderator

I fully agree with all of your comments. I gave the TiVo a try when they were first introduced and sent it back within a week, as I considered it was slower, gave an inferior HD picture than my old Samsung Virgin+ box.
I was given the TiVo box as part of a deal when Virgin installed the cable etc upon moving to a new area. I wish I could have kept my original +box despite only having a smaller sized hard disc.
0 Kudos
joncbee
On our wavelength
Message 3 of 15
Flag for a moderator

So Fred, if you sent Tivo box back and couldn't use the Samsung V+ box, what did you do? Leave Virgin?

I am not aware of any alternative hardware solution that works, and I have phoned them to ask.

Presumably, if you are still with Virgin, you just got a Freeview box and Roku or similar and deleted the TV from your package. Makes sense as these days I find myself on Netflix almost all the time, so I don't now why I bother with the Tivo at all really.

And about that: how slow is it to connect to Netflix via the Tivo? What a joke.

0 Kudos
Superuser
Superuser
Message 4 of 15
Flag for a moderator
Helpful Answer

joncbee wrote:

and the use of logos instead of text has made locating channels virtually impossible in some cases, when the logo for SD, HD and +1 are virtually or completely the same as each other, and in other cases where sister channels have very similar icons.

You can turn off the logos and have the channel names in text via the options under the green button when in the full screen guide.

fredtheted
Up to speed
Message 5 of 15
Flag for a moderator

They replaced the TiVo with another +box,which I still would have been happy with, if Ihad not moved.
Perhaps it's strange to you that people regard picture quality as unimportant
0 Kudos
joncbee
On our wavelength
Message 6 of 15
Flag for a moderator

"Perhaps it's strange to you that people regard picture quality as unimportant "

Personally I didn't experience any difference in picture quality in HD on a 1020p device between the Samsung and the Cisco.

I do think it odd though that with each of them, when you view older, non-HD-upscaled content, it seems worse quality than the old analogue method!!

The TV seems to make the most difference. HD on 720p isn't really HD, at all, at the end of the day.

TBH, the main issue for me is the quality of the content. I would rather watch Breaking Bad in black and white and all fuzzy on 12", than, say, Made in Chelsea in 4K with 3D on 60" and surround sound (or whatever the latest fad is).

0 Kudos
joncbee
On our wavelength
Message 7 of 15
Flag for a moderator

Nice one - I have just tried this and it actually works!

Thanks.

I am wondering if there are any other options I haven't found - for example, how to turn off grouping into folders in the list of recordings?

This is one of the options that seemed to disappear and change without my asking it to.

0 Kudos
eddieryan
On our wavelength
Message 8 of 15
Flag for a moderator

I would just like it if there were some instructions as to how Series Link+ is supposed to work - for example: adding things to My Shows before they've even been recorded - so it doesn't do anything (and they'll be in My Shows when they record anyway surely?). Also, what is the business with streaming shows? I have a Netflix & Amazon Prime subscription and watch them via my smart TV - Netflix via Tivo is a clunky, slow experience (as, sadly, is the case with most actions on Tivo), so they won't have anything to do with My Shows I guess. I do like the option of being able to record the same programme on different channels. Wentworth a few months ago changed from Channel 5 to 5 Star with very little notice whilst I was away on holiday, so the box didn't record a couple of episodes, so this should avoid that happening again. I also sometimes record Sky 1 shows on Sky 2 if there's a clash on Sky 1,so it will help there as well.

People have been moaning about there being logos in the channel guide following the update - I haven't got these (not sure I want them!). Am I missing something?

So plusses and minuses...

Hopefully the new T6 box will be better - I'll wait for more info on upgrading in due course.

0 Kudos
Superuser
Superuser
Message 9 of 15
Flag for a moderator

joncbee wrote:

Nice one - I have just tried this and it actually works!

Thanks.

I am wondering if there are any other options I haven't found - for example, how to turn off grouping into folders in the list of recordings?

This is one of the options that seemed to disappear and change without my asking it to.

You can't turn off the folders in the main My Shows, however you can add 'Recordings' as a My Shows category for the left hand side menu and then when that is selected you can turn off folders in that view. You can add the additional category using the green button option when in My Shows.

joncbee
On our wavelength
Message 10 of 15
Flag for a moderator

Thanks. I shall try this tonight.

0 Kudos