Menu
hollaa01
Joining in
Message 1 of 6
Flag for a moderator

Future for Virgin Media and TiVo?

Having just been catching up on Sky's new Q set top box, I'm feeling particularly despondent about my stuttery old TiVo box.

What do VM have up their sleeve to try and at least compete? What is the future for TiVo? The interface is slow and clunky and I feel like there isn't much more they can do with it as it currently stands; I certainly never use any apps because they take so long to load and never perform as expected.

0 Kudos
thanks4nothing
Fibre optic
Message 2 of 6
Flag for a moderator

Re: Future for Virgin Media and TiVo?

hollaa01 wrote:

Having just been catching up on Sky's new Q set top box, I'm feeling particularly despondent about my stuttery old TiVo box.

What do VM have up their sleeve to try and at least compete? What is the future for TiVo? The interface is slow and clunky and I feel like there isn't much more they can do with it as it currently stands; I certainly never use any apps because they take so long to load and never perform as expected.

Does seem they have given up on television and put all their eggs in the "silly claimed numbers broadband" basket which nobody seems to want. It is astonishing how they have simply ignored all the major (and less major) long-standing faults in their version of the Tivo firmware and refuse to provide adequate customer support. Dolby digital, deleting recordings and lip-sync faults, just to name 3.

I don't think they have anything up their sleeves because they just put out a very high level survey which seems to suggest they don't even know what to do next.

I agree, on demand and apps were never worth bothering with because they are awfully slow and results in any one or more of dozens of error numbers.

It is not even just Sky, that they have fallen so far behind, with all the other options that are now available. All options looked more attractive but eventually decided on Sky with their decent offers.

This user has left the community.
0 Kudos
barrylowry
Superfast
Message 3 of 6
Flag for a moderator

thanks4nothing wrote:

hollaa01 wrote:

Does seem they have given up on television and put all their eggs in the "silly claimed numbers broadband" basket which nobody seems to want. It is astonishing how they have simply ignored all the major (and less major) long-standing faults in their version of the Tivo firmware and refuse to provide adequate customer support. Dolby digital, deleting recordings and lip-sync faults, just to name 3.

VM signed another contract with TIVO in June last year so TIVO  is the only VM game in town. TIVo  Mk2 is rumoured to be anounced this Feb. This may be why current TIVO seems to be  in a no fix limboland, they  will want us to upgrade to Mk2

I don't think they have anything up their sleeves because they just put out a very high level survey which seems to suggest they don't even know what to do next.

New TIVO Mk 2 and  I have also had that survey but  would not have drawn the conclusion, you came to. They survey different people every few months 

I agree, on demand and apps were never worth bothering with because they are awfully slow and results in any one or more of dozens of error numbers.

For me personally, the apps I use (netflix, Iplayer, Spotify) are not slow but there are problems in some areas with over utilisation

It is not even just Sky, that they have fallen so far behind, with all the other options that are now available. All options looked more attractive but eventually decided on Sky with their decent offers.

Agree that Currently a VM TV package is looking bad value for money unless you are a sports/footie fan.  Myself and my brother are both considering ditching VM TV (but keeping the broadband) in favour of freeview/Netflix/Now TV + possibly amazon combo  which apart from 3 channels (Sci-fi, Universal and Watch) gives us what we want at a fraction of the cost  of VM's XL package that we are both currently on. I would probably stick with the TIVO if the pricing was more competitive, but at the moment they are just taking the Urine and I shouldn't have to call retentions and beg them for a deal, it should be part and parcel of being a loyal Cable customer (since NTL came into existence)

0 Kudos
Forum Team
Forum Team
Message 4 of 6
Flag for a moderator

Hi hollaa01,

A warm welcome to the community Smiley Happy

I'm sorry to hear that your On Demand doesn't seem to be working well for you right now.  I'd like to check this out for you to see what may be causing the fault.

Currently I haven't been able to locate your account details.  I will send you a private message requesting further details.

(Look for the envelope icon above)

Collette Smiley Happy

Tech fan? Have you read our Digital life blog yet? Check it out

0 Kudos
LittleMick73
Well-informed
Message 5 of 6
Flag for a moderator

I agree I have been with Virgin over 15 years & have been fairly happy, I don't really want to leave but if they don't keep up with the oppositions technology I will go. Am now monitoring sky's Q box. Micky
0 Kudos
rps1013
Fibre optic
Message 6 of 6
Flag for a moderator

All should be revealed tomorrow during Sky's results briefing.

It is highly anticipated that costs etc will be revealed.

As for VM, I would hope they are working on a new TV STB along the lines of TiVo but who knows.
0 Kudos