Menu
lupa
Joining in
Message 1 of 4
Flag for a moderator

First day with tivo and it buffers on catch-up - this is a disaster

Having been persuaded to 'upgrade' to a tivo box from virgin plus we were horrified to find that when watching shows on catch-up they are frequently interrupted with a buffering circle and on one occasion never returned. This is a disaster. I never had any problem with the v plus box and was very happy with it. My instinct tells me to retain the old box, reconnect it and cancel the upgrade. I don't want an 'upgrade' that is infintely worse than the perfectly fine cable box it was replacing. I believe there is a distance selling rule which means I should be able to send it back, no? And get virgin to just switch the signal back to vplus. What a palaver! But that is too serious a problem to live with. Why does it happen?

Tags (1)
0 Kudos
frank_gm
Community elder
Message 2 of 4
Flag for a moderator

Re: First day with tivo and it buffers on catch-up - this is a disaster

lupa wrote:

Having been persuaded to 'upgrade' to a tivo box from virgin plus we were horrified to find that when watching shows on catch-up they are frequently interrupted with a buffering circle and on one occasion never returned. This is a disaster. I never had any problem with the v plus box and was very happy with it. My instinct tells me to retain the old box, reconnect it and cancel the upgrade. I don't want an 'upgrade' that is infintely worse than the perfectly fine cable box it was replacing. I believe there is a distance selling rule which means I should be able to send it back, no? And get virgin to just switch the signal back to vplus. What a palaver! But that is too serious a problem to live with. Why does it happen?

Was it a self-install by chance? Tivos can be more sensitive to signal levels than the V+.

Either call in and asked for the signals levels to be checked or wait for one of the Forum team to pick this up.

Nice to be able to post again, after their mistake (removed by the Censorship team).
¡No Pasarán!
0 Kudos
Forum Team
Forum Team
Message 3 of 4
Flag for a moderator

Hi lupa,

A warm welcome to the forums Smiley Happy

I'm sorry to hear that you're getting buffering via the new TiVo® service, this isn't the best start we'd like to have for you.  I'll be happy to check this out and get this fixed for you.

I have carried out some checks from here remotely and currently all signal levels are fine.  Can you please let me know if you're still having the same problem today?  If so, let me know and I can check this further for you.

Collette Smiley Happy

Tech fan? Have you read our Digital life blog yet? Check it out

0 Kudos
lupa
Joining in
Message 4 of 4
Flag for a moderator

Hi there

It does keep happening but we've found that if you just rewind a bit and play again it cures it. As it only happens once or twice per show we've gotten used to it but thanks so much for the help and advice. It is appreciated.

I would say the tivo is worse than  virgin plus though and I do wish we hadn't 'up'graded. It feels more like a downgrade as it is slower, uglier on screen and harder to read, and there is no time display on the box so you have to use a screen display to find out how far through you are - which is unbelievably intrusive and garish. It's amazing how elegant the Virgin plus box graphics were in comparison. You don't know what you've got til it's gone, eh?

The remote control just slips out of your hands for some reason - again a very serious design fail. The old flat ones were fine. If it ain't broke why on earth would you try to fix it? The lettering on the buttons is so tiny a five year old would need reading glasses. I have to use reading glasses to use it - which I have to take off to view the screen. I don't need bifocals for any other part of my life so there is no way round it.

Very much regret this change - all we wanted was to change our tv package but we were forced to accept all of this (had to arrange to wait in FIVE entire days for the 'upgraded' tivo box, nightmare) and to take out another year contract even though I've been a customer since forever. Still a bit grumpy about it all but no doubt we will get used to all this extra aggravation. It's so irritating to use we avoid watching tv now - so that's a good thing I guess.

Thanks for your help.

Lupa

0 Kudos