Menu
VMV
Joining in
Message 1 of 3
Flag for a moderator

Fed up with out of date equipment

Hello VM,

Apologise in advance of the use of profanity (Swearing) for which I have edited myself.

In 2000 I joined a new and inspiring Data Communication called NTL. I jumped to the chance to join this new enterprise. When Cable Modems were announced I was one of the first in my street to have a cable modem. When they went into Chapter 11... but they still pulled themselves up from the demoralisation of going bankrupt. Then Richard Branson took over plastered his Virgin name and logo across the breadth of the organisation. Run the organisation into the ground sold his shares and then walked away and left a fragile organisation with a crumbling out of date network that needs a complete overhaul, including the diabolical TiVo Service which used to be great now it is just a pile of dung.

After 16 years with NTL/VM I am seriously considering leaving because I an sick and tired of the outdated TiVo STB. The outdated TiVo Service which is desperately in need of a total overhaul to survive. Otherwise Virgin Media will go the same way as NTL did. Although NTL bankruptcy was because it was never a profit earning organisation at first which it should have been from day one.

If Virgin Media Doesn't pull their thumb out of their backside, man-up, Stop bickering and work with Sky instead of walking away from negotiations. and start providing a worthwhile service they will without a shadow of a doubt end up the same way as NTL.

One of the biggest issues with the TiVo service is... and this is one of the main reasons why I am considering on leaving after 16 years of dedicated support for Virgin Media. 

1. Old look and feel and out of date firmware (Very poor service)

2. Programs don't always record even if you have a Series Link. (This really does p*** me o**)

3. Some advertised programs which are new don't have [NEW] and it will not record your program even though it is a new season. (Very f*****g annoying)

4. Clashes... change the recording time and date and it will still say there is a clash even though you have rescheduled the recording to another time and date. (very f*****g annoying)

5. The lag on the TiVo service is so bad now it is unbearable. the picture and sound quality is so bad these days some programs are unwatchable.

6. Catch up On Demand... What a f****g joke this is. I have more of a chance threading a length of cotton through a needle blindfolded than successfully watching an entire program on Catch Up on Demand.

7. Not recording and rearranging scheduled programs even though there are no clashes and/or other programs that would interrupt the recording. And I think it is suggestions that are hindering recording schedules and interfering and rearranging recordings because it decided to record something else and rearranged my recording to another day. Example Five-O and NCIS LA did not record on Sunday even though there was no clashing. No other programs to record. And yet, it decided to move the recording to next Saturday...? What the f***.

The cable modem service I cannot fault... Great service, I couldn't be happier, But the TiVo Service is just so painful to watch a program is so frustrating when the picture quality is poor. the sound is so bad I have to turn by TV up to 17dB which is just stupendous.

Look the bottom line here is... Virgin Media needs to start working with Sky instead of working against them. Start competing with your competitors instead of walking away from negotiations. Overhaul the outdated and tired network. Improve the TiVo Service. upgrade the TiVo Service with the new and improved TiVo Bolt STB. (Wait... some people have voiced. TiVo Bolt is 4K and this would be pointless without a 4K service, what a load of rubbish) if Virgin Media doesn't start properly competing with SKY it will fold. The organisation is haemorrhaging money on maintenance and repairs on their aging network infrastructure that is on the verge of crippling, instead up upgrading the service.

NTL had on of the strongest and largest backbone of an infrastructure of an Data Communications organisation in the UK second to BT... Now it's a poor dilapidated service trying to compete with it's competitors.

It's time for a fresh start and a change... 

P.S. I don't want to leave, but after the headache that I have been through for nearly 2 years now enough is enough and I think it is time so part ways and start a fresh. Okay it could be the case of out of the frying pan and into the flame. But I am prepared to take the risk. If Virgin Media doesn't do something to keep their customers from complaining and leaving to go with another competitive organisation. Then something at some point will have to give.

Superuser
Superuser
Message 2 of 3
Flag for a moderator

Re: Fed up with out of date equipment

I have to agree with some of that. Some I would take issue with but in the interest of constructive criticism of VM....

The issue is NOT going to solved by any new STB anytime soon.

There are two major issues that need resolving

Deals with content providers- there are currently too many restrictions on devices used to stream/box to box streaming. That seems to be born out of ignorance on the part of whoever sets up the deals with content providers. I do not see any reason that ANY device that is HDCP compliant cannot be used to stream to/from TiVo as long as contracts are negotiated with someone with minimal technical knowledge. SKY can do it.

The Back End. Where to even start? Tv Anywhere is a joke. Every time there is anything remotely popular it keels over. Thats if it works in the first place. The image is dire. 2 device limit??? Tv schedules dont work. On demand is constantly missing episodes. All this speaks of poor management of the back end servers and bandwidth requirements.

Whilst a spangly new TiVo would be lovely, unless they sort out those two issues its a waste of time and money. Dont get me wrong, it is getting old now. But the issues are as much about how the current state of the on demand/streaming/firmware is delivered rather than TiVo device itself.

0 Kudos
mbonnick
Rising star
Message 3 of 3
Flag for a moderator

Re: Fed up with out of date equipment

VMV wrote:

Hello VM,

Apologise in advance of the use of profanity (Swearing) for which I have edited myself.

In 2000 I joined a new and inspiring Data Communication called NTL. I jumped to the chance to join this new enterprise. When Cable Modems were announced I was one of the first in my street to have a cable modem. When they went into Chapter 11... but they still pulled themselves up from the demoralisation of going bankrupt. Then Richard Branson took over plastered his Virgin name and logo across the breadth of the organisation. Run the organisation into the ground sold his shares and then walked away and left a fragile organisation with a crumbling out of date network that needs a complete overhaul, including the diabolical TiVo Service which used to be great now it is just a pile of dung.

After 16 years with NTL/VM I am seriously considering leaving because I an sick and tired of the outdated TiVo STB. The outdated TiVo Service which is desperately in need of a total overhaul to survive. Otherwise Virgin Media will go the same way as NTL did. Although NTL bankruptcy was because it was never a profit earning organisation at first which it should have been from day one.

If Virgin Media Doesn't pull their thumb out of their backside, man-up, Stop bickering and work with Sky instead of walking away from negotiations. and start providing a worthwhile service they will without a shadow of a doubt end up the same way as NTL.

One of the biggest issues with the TiVo service is... and this is one of the main reasons why I am considering on leaving after 16 years of dedicated support for Virgin Media. 

1. Old look and feel and out of date firmware (Very poor service)

2. Programs don't always record even if you have a Series Link. (This really does p*** me o**)

3. Some advertised programs which are new don't have [NEW] and it will not record your program even though it is a new season. (Very f*****g annoying)

4. Clashes... change the recording time and date and it will still say there is a clash even though you have rescheduled the recording to another time and date. (very f*****g annoying)

5. The lag on the TiVo service is so bad now it is unbearable. the picture and sound quality is so bad these days some programs are unwatchable.

6. Catch up On Demand... What a f****g joke this is. I have more of a chance threading a length of cotton through a needle blindfolded than successfully watching an entire program on Catch Up on Demand.

7. Not recording and rearranging scheduled programs even though there are no clashes and/or other programs that would interrupt the recording. And I think it is suggestions that are hindering recording schedules and interfering and rearranging recordings because it decided to record something else and rearranged my recording to another day. Example Five-O and NCIS LA did not record on Sunday even though there was no clashing. No other programs to record. And yet, it decided to move the recording to next Saturday...? What the f***.

The cable modem service I cannot fault... Great service, I couldn't be happier, But the TiVo Service is just so painful to watch a program is so frustrating when the picture quality is poor. the sound is so bad I have to turn by TV up to 17dB which is just stupendous.

Look the bottom line here is... Virgin Media needs to start working with Sky instead of working against them. Start competing with your competitors instead of walking away from negotiations. Overhaul the outdated and tired network. Improve the TiVo Service. upgrade the TiVo Service with the new and improved TiVo Bolt STB. (Wait... some people have voiced. TiVo Bolt is 4K and this would be pointless without a 4K service, what a load of rubbish) if Virgin Media doesn't start properly competing with SKY it will fold. The organisation is haemorrhaging money on maintenance and repairs on their aging network infrastructure that is on the verge of crippling, instead up upgrading the service.

NTL had on of the strongest and largest backbone of an infrastructure of an Data Communications organisation in the UK second to BT... Now it's a poor dilapidated service trying to compete with it's competitors.

It's time for a fresh start and a change... 

P.S. I don't want to leave, but after the headache that I have been through for nearly 2 years now enough is enough and I think it is time so part ways and start a fresh. Okay it could be the case of out of the frying pan and into the flame. But I am prepared to take the risk. If Virgin Media doesn't do something to keep their customers from complaining and leaving to go with another competitive organisation. Then something at some point will have to give.

Well said!!!!!  Some very relevant points made and I feel very similar, been a loyal customer for 20 years and whilst early on it was a very forward thinking company, of late it seems to have fallen way behind in the innovation stakes, and what worries me is when they do show the slightest signs of innovation their hardware lets them down and they get it massively wrong.

They are very fortunate that the Broadband has not been bettered (yet) although that will just be a matter of time at which point they will see their customers leave in droves.  Such a shame, I would respect them much more if they owned up to the problems they have, outline a plan and stick to it.  I would be much more likely to stay with them if they just admitted things aren't right but show a commitment to a continuous improvement programme of some kind, instead of closing their eyes, putting their fingers in their ears and pretending everything is OK....

0 Kudos