Menu
omnescient
On our wavelength
Message 1 of 20
Flag for a moderator

Feature of Fast Forward?

On viewing a recording on TiVo, I noticed that the (slowest option of) 'fast forward' was distinctly inconsistent.
I'll call it 'x2', as the actual speed is not displayed, as far as I know (which is one level beyond myopia).

On rare occasions the recording will move consistently at x2; more frequently it will run at normal speed.
Most of the time it will alternate between the two.

Is this an undocumented feature of the fast forward facility, like an Easter Egg that no-one thought to hide?
Or is it an artefact of the current weather conditions--an inability to sustain the requisite speed in warm, humid conditions?

Can anyone tell me the three fast forward rates? Our V+ box had four: 2, 6, 12 & 32.
Does this represent a downgrade, or a response to customer demand?

0 Kudos
Parrotperson
Super solver
Message 2 of 20
Flag for a moderator

Re: Feature of Fast Forward?

No it shouldn't do that. Mine is consistent in all ff speeds offered. Maybe get the box checked out. Could be a fault developing. 

0 Kudos
omnescient
On our wavelength
Message 3 of 20
Flag for a moderator

Not a universal issue then. Six days into the TiVo package, and a fault has developed already? I assume that will involve another absence from work--not a good omen. Thanks Parrotperson...
0 Kudos
ozsat
Trouble shooter
Message 4 of 20
Flag for a moderator

You may have just hit a time when TiVo was busy doing background processing  -  there is a lot going on in background.

==================================
V6 TiVo (with MRS)
VIVID 350 Optical Fibre (350/20mb) in Area 31
SkyQ Silver Bundle (UHD)
0 Kudos
vadek
Rising star
Message 5 of 20
Flag for a moderator

omnescient wrote:

On viewing a recording on TiVo, I noticed that the (slowest option of) 'fast forward' was distinctly inconsistent.
I'll call it 'x2', as the actual speed is not displayed, as far as I know (which is one level beyond myopia).

On rare occasions the recording will move consistently at x2; more frequently it will run at normal speed.
Most of the time it will alternate between the two.

Is this an undocumented feature of the fast forward facility, like an Easter Egg that no-one thought to hide?
Or is it an artefact of the current weather conditions--an inability to sustain the requisite speed in warm, humid conditions?

Can anyone tell me the three fast forward rates? Our V+ box had four: 2, 6, 12 & 32.
Does this represent a downgrade, or a response to customer demand?

Yep. Mine does this, too. Always has done. The slowest fast forward is very inconsistent, as if it's just on the boundary between x1 and x2 and can't settle on either one of them.

0 Kudos
BinghamBloke
Knows their stuff
Message 6 of 20
Flag for a moderator

Mine does this on the first fast forward also.

It kind of jumps between x1 and x2 and like vadek always has done and I have had the same Tivo since launch.
I very rarely use it due to that.
0 Kudos
Superuser
Superuser
Message 7 of 20
Flag for a moderator

Mine does it to and always has (early adopter too).

I tend to notice it most when fast forwarding stuff like WC football to get to action/goals, however "normally" I'm ffwd to skip adverts in progs I've recorded so I go at full speed.

Not really an issue IMHO.

Keith

Signature 16-12-24 (forum size).png

0 Kudos
omnescient
On our wavelength
Message 8 of 20
Flag for a moderator

We record a lot of (professional road race) cycling, including the 'Grand' tours (TDF, Giro, Vuelta), for which there is extensive coverage (Eurosport). As we both work, the x2 ff is invaluable for us, allowing us to skim the less riveting sections of each stage without losing the significant incidents & overall 'story' of the earlier parts of those stages. This setting operated flawlessly on the V+ box. On the TiVo, it's irritating, time-consuming and an amateurish implementation of a basic playback facility. If, as has been implied here, this issue has been present since the inception of the TiVo 'service' from Virgin Media/Liberty Global/Branson branding, then I guess it's regarded as an insignificant concern for them, and one to be accepted by customers without the prospect of improvement in the future. Thanks for the replies--you've saved me a (presumably futile) call to 150.
0 Kudos
StevenR
On our wavelength
Message 9 of 20
Flag for a moderator

keithse wrote:

Mine does it to and always has (early adopter too).

I tend to notice it most when fast forwarding stuff like WC football to get to action/goals, however "normally" I'm ffwd to skip adverts in progs I've recorded so I go at full speed.

Not really an issue IMHO.

Keith

When I'm skipping adverts I never use the fast forward button, I always use the skip forward. That always skips forward 30 seconds. Depending on the channel, I find between 8 and 10 presses are enough to skip through the break.

0 Kudos
omnescient
On our wavelength
Message 10 of 20
Flag for a moderator

My partner (not an inveterate cynic) called 150.

An appointment was made, and kept.

On listening to a description of the problem, and without viewing a recording that demonstrated it, the engineer immediately diagnosed a failing hard drive.

A different box, from the van, was installed and registered.

The same evening, on playing back our first recording on the newly installed box--same problem.

I guess there are various explanations for this scenario:

the 'malfunction' (my perspective) is restricted to an indeterminate number of boxes;

and/or hard drives/disks are failing on those same boxes;

or

it's a fault/feature on all boxes (and/or of all hard disks), but not regarded as an issue because:

not everyone uses the facility; or

not everyone who uses the facility notices it (more noticeable on extended ff x2 usage); or

not everyone regards it as an issue (for them); or

some users find it enhances the TiVo 'experience'.

Theoretically (not what I'm assuming, or want to assume):

the same box may have been removed, taken to the van, returned and re-installed;

a box removed during a previous appointment, and with the same fault, was installed.

If it is a common and/or known fault with some/all TiVo boxes, would any Virgin Media employee (be authorised to) offer this information to customers?

It's also possible that this alternation of ff speed occurs when >> and >>> are used, and just not detectable by mere human perceptual processes.

I will try the x2 > on an SD recording this weekend. If that operates 'normally', we can enjoy the advantages of recording TdF coverage on SD.

Spectacular landscapes? Alpine and Pyrenean scenery? Not an issue--all part of the TiVo experience.

TiVo II--my partner has advanced to level 2 [sceptic]

0 Kudos