Menu
davegooch
Joining in
Message 1 of 6
Flag for a moderator

Faulty playback of recordings

A number of recorded programmes on our TiVo box don't playback properly. We can be watching and then the screen will freeze and the sound will drop out. Putting the subtitles on enables us to figure out what is being said but it is a far from ideal solution.
The hard drive was getting fairly full so we've deleted quite a lot of stuff in case that was the problem, but it hasn't really helped much.
It will normally resolve itself after a little while, sometimes when it doesn't I will try and watch it on catch up instead but I often find problems with buffering, which is ridiculous when I am supposed to be on 100 MB broadband.
0 Kudos

Helpful Answers
Superuser
Superuser
Message 2 of 6
Flag for a moderator
Helpful Answer

Re: Faulty playback of recordings

TiVo doesn't use your broadband connection for catch up content.

As you've likely surmised, the box has a dead/dying HDD (assuming the issue isn't manifesting itself on liive TV), so give them a ring and get a replacement sent out!

TV: XL+SkySports V6
BB: 200Mbps SuperHub: Arris
Loc: ME10
    Please use the Search feature before starting a new thread
To thank or if you Like a post, use the Kudos +button. If it's an answer to your query, click Options.
Finally, if all else fails, take a deep breath and remember there's more to life than the internet and TV!

All Replies
Superuser
Superuser
Message 2 of 6
Flag for a moderator
Helpful Answer

TiVo doesn't use your broadband connection for catch up content.

As you've likely surmised, the box has a dead/dying HDD (assuming the issue isn't manifesting itself on liive TV), so give them a ring and get a replacement sent out!

To thank or if you Like a post, use the Kudos +button. If it's an answer to your query, click Options.
Finally, if all else fails, take a deep breath and remember there's more to life than the internet and TV!
davegooch
Joining in
Message 3 of 6
Flag for a moderator

I wasn't sure what connection it uses for catch up, either way it is sometimes disappointingly annoying.
You're right though, I did suspect the HDD was playing up. A few years ago we had to get a replacement V+ box when the disc started to fail on that. What I found really annoying was that they didn't offer any way to transfer my recordings to the new box.
I don't want the above to make it look as though I'm not grateful for the quick response, because I am.
0 Kudos
Superuser
Superuser
Message 4 of 6
Flag for a moderator

No worries - I can appreciate the frustration!

Unfortunately if it's a dead HDD, then rescuing the recordings, even if it were possible, would take tens of hours as a minimum.

0 Kudos
davegooch
Joining in
Message 5 of 6
Flag for a moderator

I realise that this is a completely separate issue, but with regards to rescuing old recordings, the technician who replaced the V+ box said that it was possible but that Virgin wouldn't let them do it or give them the equipment to do so, probably because of the time. Transferring a few hundred GB would take a few hours I suppose. It's a shame they're couldn't set it up to do the transfer and come back another day to collect the old box.
But that is probably a topic for another forum....
0 Kudos
davegooch
Joining in
Message 6 of 6
Flag for a moderator

Somewhat bizarrely, I tried to call VM support to book an engineer, they had to call me back. In the meantime I rebooted the Tivo (again) and this time had a C133 (I think) error. When they called back I told them about the error, and he said he would need to escalate the problem to someone more technical - I was about to go out and told him I'd call back later.

That was a few days ago but since then we've not had any problems with playback - it may just be coincidence and we're watching things recorded on good parts of the disc, but until I have more problems I'm leaving it alone!

0 Kudos