Menu
Monnie83
Joining in
Message 1 of 8
Flag for a moderator

Faulty box should have recorded shows transferred if you're a paying customer...

Today my TiVo box was found to be faulty. A whole variety of things was up with it. From freezing screen, pixelating image etc. Engineer came out to look at the box of which I thought they would have fixed the issue not replace set top box. 97% and over 2 years of recorded shows GONE. If box is found to be faulty any recorded shows should be transferred onto the new box.. I'd have kept my faulty box in a heartbeat, if it meant I could keep "my recorded shows".. so peeved off. 20 mins after engineer left, I rang Customer services to ask if they could return my faulty box, as nobody made me aware that shows, would'nt or couldn't,be transferred over.. VM should have made me aware of this when I booked engineer... virgin should arrange a transfer from one box to another if you're a paying customer with a faulty set box. SKY have some real juicy deals going right and tempted to switch.
Now.
Rant over.
0 Kudos

Helpful Answers
Superuser
Superuser
Message 2 of 8
Flag for a moderator
Helpful Answer

Re: Faulty box should have recorded shows transferred if you're a paying customer...

trasferring recordings is not possible and is now allowed by the content owners.
The rule is the same with Sky as well you can not transfer between boxes. Also if a sky bot breaks you will be replacing it as they do not replace them for free so you'd lose the recordings as well as pay for a new box.

0 Kudos
Superuser
Superuser
Message 5 of 8
Flag for a moderator
Helpful Answer

Re: Faulty box should have recorded shows transferred if you're a paying customer...

Monnie83 wrote:
Thanks for the info. I have been with VM since 2009 and feel like I need a change. XL Tv, XL broadband and XL phone line plus SKY cinema. I can get the same at sky for twenty quid cheaper as a new customer. I am sure this transferring thing, is possible and something these companies should consider doing, for loyal customers. When I have a Problem with my PC,they take remote access and sort the problem. I'm sure they can do the same for the set top box. One time transfer that can only be done through the company..

Transferring is technically possible, but the licence VM have under copyright is restricted to recording for timeshift purposes only. Once recorded these recordings can be streamed to another TiVO, but making another copy is in breach of the terms..

su1718.jpgCable customer since 1993. Services: FH TV, Sky Sports & Movies (2xV6), Talk Anytime Phone, VIVID 350, Virgin PAYG Mobile

All Replies
Superuser
Superuser
Message 2 of 8
Flag for a moderator
Helpful Answer

trasferring recordings is not possible and is now allowed by the content owners.
The rule is the same with Sky as well you can not transfer between boxes. Also if a sky bot breaks you will be replacing it as they do not replace them for free so you'd lose the recordings as well as pay for a new box.

0 Kudos
Monnie83
Joining in
Message 3 of 8
Flag for a moderator

Thanks for the info. I have been with VM since 2009 and feel like I need a change. XL Tv, XL broadband and XL phone line plus SKY cinema. I can get the same at sky for twenty quid cheaper as a new customer. I am sure this transferring thing, is possible and something these companies should consider doing, for loyal customers. When I have a Problem with my PC,they take remote access and sort the problem. I'm sure they can do the same for the set top box. One time transfer that can only be done through the company..
0 Kudos
backtothefuture
Fibre optic
Message 4 of 8
Flag for a moderator

Just to point out that with Sky since the introduction of Sky Q they own the equipment (as Virgin do) not the customer.  This means that any replacements and repairs are done at Sky's expense.  If you have a faulty box they will therefore replace it.  If you then cancel Sky you would return the box to them (as you would with Virgin Media).

-

If I have helped please feel free to give 'Kudos' by clicking on the thumbs up icon against any of my posts. If I have helped to solve an issue you can also click on the 'Mark As Helpful Answer' link to mark it as helpful.
Superuser
Superuser
Message 5 of 8
Flag for a moderator
Helpful Answer

Monnie83 wrote:

Transferring is technically possible, but the licence VM have under copyright is restricted to recording for timeshift purposes only. Once recorded these recordings can be streamed to another TiVO, but making another copy is in breach of the terms..

su1718.jpgCable customer since 1993. Services: FH TV, Sky Sports & Movies (2xV6), Talk Anytime Phone, VIVID 350, Virgin PAYG Mobile

Monnie83
Joining in
Message 6 of 8
Flag for a moderator

Thanks nodrogd,
I Think they should sort it out for me. I had a lot of shows, not even watched yet and series links. I would like more recording space too. Virgin media said there was no way i could retrieve my recordings, when I rang up 20 mins after the engineer left. I read somewhere that, Thumbs up and series links would be transferred too, but they haven't come up in my new box yet. The new box I have, seems to be faulty too. On the TV guide this morning on SKY comedy HD,it says sister act, featuring Whoopi Goldberg, is on.. Julia Roberts doesn't look like Whoopi. It is 7.10 am and to early to call about the problem. My other faulty box did this often. It would state a certain show was on to view, but another would be playing. I do pay over 100 quid a month, for this. Quite annoyed 😤
0 Kudos
Monnie83
Joining in
Message 7 of 8
Flag for a moderator

When I upgraded to sky movies several months ago over the phone, I was told I was on a 30 day rollover contract, which meant I could upgrade/downgrade my package. The representative at the retentions team wasn't very nice. Said I was just a customer trying to get something for nothing ( REALLY, I pay X amount of pounds, for many years, for an XXL phone line that I never use, only to call 150) and that I would be charged a big, ol hefty disconnection fee, of £230 and something. 30 day rolling contract means, I can disconnect at any time, provided I give 30 days notice. The same package I am on, is being advertised to new customers for £20 cheaper and with all the new equipment... What about your old customers, I've been with this company since 2009... I am at my wicks end with Virgin Media...
0 Kudos
stevedh2
Knows their stuff
Message 8 of 8
Flag for a moderator

To transfer series links you need to logon to tvanywhere in your browser and there should be an option near the bottom.

And yes I hate not being able to transfer recordings, and I don't see why it should void licence agreements if you end up in the same situation as you were before the swap, it could still be considered as time shifting, If I record the last episode of a series and then have the box swapped the next day before I get a chance to watch it, hows it hurting anyone if thats transferred to my new machine, also VM still have the ability to stop recordings working when you change packages etc.

Anyway when I did my last upgrade I ended up hanging on to my old box to finish watching the stuff I had on there, must get around to returning it soon so that I don't have to keep paying the extra I had to fork out for the privilege 

0 Kudos