Menu
whooshv
On our wavelength
Message 1 of 15
Flag for a moderator

Fast Forward woefully painful

Why is fast forward so poor - on the first setting it goes a mite faster for a few seconds, then reverts to normal speed, then fast forward a bit - repeat, repeat?

Can't wait for BT/Sky to get fibre to the cabinet  - so I can got with a decent service, hardware and software

0 Kudos
Parrotperson
Super solver
Message 2 of 15
Flag for a moderator

Re: Fast Forward woefully painful

Ummm. Mine doesn't do that. It had three speeds on FF the last being much faster than the first. 

Try rebooting. See if that helps

0 Kudos
whooshv
On our wavelength
Message 3 of 15
Flag for a moderator

It's the first ff speed that does that, reboot does not help

Cheers anyway

0 Kudos
Superuser
Superuser
Message 4 of 15
Flag for a moderator

Sounds like you're hitting the skip forward 30 seconds button  to me rather than the FF button

0 Kudos
whooshv
On our wavelength
Message 5 of 15
Flag for a moderator

I Don't think so, I press it once and it ff for a bit then slows, then ff, then slows etc without touching the button again

0 Kudos
Forum Team
Forum Team
Message 6 of 15
Flag for a moderator

Hello whooshv,

Welcome to the community.

Here's a link which I hope will help here, it gives all the information you need to be able to use the fast forward/rewind features.

Please let me know how you get on.

Kind regards

Rose
Forum Team

New around here? To find out more about the Community check out our Getting Started guide

0 Kudos
whooshv
On our wavelength
Message 7 of 15
Flag for a moderator

Rose sorry but - - - -

That's of no use whatsoever! I'll explain it again . . . 

I know how to use fast forward

When I select the first fast forward speed it goes fast for a SHORT while, then it slows down to around normal speed, then it goes fast again, then it slows down - it keeps on doing that without me pressing any buttons

The other FF speeds are fine

0 Kudos
Forum Team
Forum Team
Message 8 of 15
Flag for a moderator

Okay sorry for that, I misunderstood. It's going to be down to the hard drive in that case.

I would first recommend performing a clear and delete but unfortunately it does mean clearing all the recordings from the hard drive. If you find there are no changes afterwards then what I'll do next is send a technician out so he can replace the box for you.

I have added the instructions on how to clear the hard drive here so please let me know how you get on.

Speak to you soon

Rose
Forum Team

New around here? To find out more about the Community check out our Getting Started guide

0 Kudos
UNKNOWN
Fibre optic
Message 9 of 15
Flag for a moderator

whooshv wrote:

Why is fast forward so poor - on the first setting it goes a mite faster for a few seconds, then reverts to normal speed, then fast forward a bit - repeat, repeat?

Can't wait for BT/Sky to get fibre to the cabinet  - so I can got with a decent service, hardware and software

Totally agree. Very poor compared with the competition. Notice how fast forward is twice as slow as rewind. You have to jump past where you want to go and then rewind to get anywhere in a reasonable time. Just one of the many foibles you have to live with using Virgin Media Tivo.

The speeding up/slowing down has been reported many times over the years and is due to bitrates on certain channels. There are even videos on youtube. Surprised VM are blaming your hard drive. Just goes to show how we are ignored by VM. A quick search will result in other threads.

0 Kudos
G4DDS
Rising star
Message 10 of 15
Flag for a moderator

whooshv wrote:

What does it do on the other two speed settings? Are these working as expected?

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Services: 200Mb BB, XL TV (with Sky Sports & Movies) + HD supplement, Talk More Anytime
Equipment: Super Hub 3, 2 x 1Tb TiVo's, Hudl 2 (Android 5.1), Moto G4 Plus (Android 6.0.1), Panasonic LCD TV TX-L32G20B & Plasma TV TX-P42S30B
0 Kudos