Menu
VillagerNo6
Joining in
Message 1 of 7
Flag for a moderator

F1

GRRRRRRR!

I know it's not Virgin's or TiVo's "fault" but I've just settled down to watch the F1 race that TiVo is set up to record as a series link and I've got three hours of ******* tennis. It appears that the BBC has swapped channels, is there no way TiVo can "realise" this, or "check" if this has occurred?

Going to have to put up with sketchy iPlayer via TiVo now, well not now as it won't be available until later tonight.

Gah! 

0 Kudos
dave2660
Superfast
Message 2 of 7
Flag for a moderator

Re: F1

It looked like it was a very last minute decision to swap the F1 and tennis between BBC1 and BBC2.  Although Virgin Media have got a lot better at updating the TiVo EPG when changes are made, it's just not possible if it happens at very short notice.  This is one of the biggest design failing of TiVO, unlike every other TV platform in this country it simply can't cope with last minute changes to the schedules.

0 Kudos
Superuser
Superuser
Message 3 of 7
Flag for a moderator

While I don't condone this TiVo flaw, the BBC are actually the culprit here.

They publish the tennis on BBC2 and the Grand Prix on BBC1 then arbitrarily, at the last minute, swap them over. WHY?

0 Kudos
dave2660
Superfast
Message 4 of 7
Flag for a moderator

Yes, in this case it was an unnecessary change made by the BBC.  But it also appeared to be a decision that was made very late.  I saw a tweet from one of the BBC F1 team about half an hour before the program was due to start saying that they were moving channels.  Had the decision been made earlier then it's possible that the TiVo EPG could have been updated in time.

0 Kudos
Superuser
Superuser
Message 5 of 7
Flag for a moderator

Ernie_C wrote:

While I don't condone this TiVo flaw, the BBC are actually the culprit here.

They publish the tennis on BBC2 and the Grand Prix on BBC1 then arbitrarily, at the last minute, swap them over. WHY?

Because they don't care about people who record their shows, and by not care I mean are totally disinterested

0 Kudos
Darkman
Up to speed
Message 6 of 7
Flag for a moderator

I too fast forwarded through a load of recorded tennis in disgust. Fortunately the highlights program was just about to start so I was spared the iPlayer.

200Mb BB, 2̶ ̶x̶ ̶1̶T̶B̶ ̶T̶i̶V̶o̶, X̶L̶ ̶T̶V̶, M Phone
0 Kudos
VillagerNo6
Joining in
Message 7 of 7
Flag for a moderator

What really annoys me is I can't for the life of me see a reason to swap the channels in the first place. It's not like the tennis was scheduled on the red button or was due to be broadcast as highlights only on BBC3 or 4 after 7pm, and surely anyone who was interested in the tennis wouldn't care it was on a "lesser" channel than the "flagship" 1.

It's not just me as a TiVo user that missed out either. An elderly relative gets his TV via a free freeview box he was given when the Government switched analogue signals off and records programmes to a VCR, so he too has three hours of tennis rather than the F1 and as he's not online no way of catching up.

Pah.