Menu
hippyclone
Dialled in
Message 1 of 7
Flag for a moderator

Extending recording times of Suggestions

I find recorded Suggestions to be quite useful at times, but also find that many programmes recorded have their final couple of minutes cut off which is extremely annoying.

Is there anyway to extend recording times of Suggestions as there is for Series Links etc ?

0 Kudos
Parrotperson
Super solver
Message 2 of 7
Flag for a moderator

Re: Extending recording times of Suggestions

Good question. If there is I've never heard of it. Have you tried looking up in the TiVo manual? Sorry can't post a link my computer says no! But search TiVo operations manual. 

0 Kudos
hippyclone
Dialled in
Message 3 of 7
Flag for a moderator

Couldn't find any means to do that from any TiVo resource I looked at. It might be something it doesn't currently cater for.

0 Kudos
Forum Team
Forum Team
Message 4 of 7
Flag for a moderator

Hi hippyclone, 

Thanks for your post and it is a really good question. 

I would assume that by changing the Recording instructions for everything, as opposed to individually doing it per recording, it should do this for the suggestions too. 

Have you tried the following:

Home > Help & Settings > Recordings > Default Recording Options > Change the Start Recording / Stop Recording options. 

Give that a try and let me know how you get on Smiley Happy

Thanks,

Kath_F
Forum Team

Tech fan? Have you read our Digital life blog yet? Check it out

0 Kudos
hippyclone
Dialled in
Message 5 of 7
Flag for a moderator

Yes, already have start recording 1 minute early, and stop recording 4 minutes late.

I note that when a suggestion is playing the red progress bar on TV commonly shows an exact "30m" or "1hr" which I guess is however long the broadcast slot should be.

I currently have a BBC Timeshift (S14 E4) suggested which shows "1hr". The actual Timeshift programme starts 1m 40s in after start of playing, runs up to the 60 min mark, then ends with the final  minute(s) missing.

I doubt it was a 65 minute programme. This is what lead me to believe that the global start / stop recording extensions may not be being applied to suggestions.

If a scheduled program starts late then the end is lost. That doesn't matter if it's a few seconds late as it only truncates the end credits. If it's more it loses part of the programme as well.

That's really annoying for animated comedy (Cleveland Show and similar) where the final seconds deliver the show's punchline.

0 Kudos
Forum Team
Forum Team
Message 6 of 7
Flag for a moderator

Hi hippyclone, 

Thanks for coming back to me. After posting a response to you, I did send an email over to the guys that eat, live and breathe TiVo® and they advised the following:

'Suggestions have the lowest priority in terms of recordings, so they can’t be extended.

Series and manual recordings take preference.

If you extend the recordings from the help menu, you can see if this helps otherwise there is no option available for this.'

As I already advised doing this it doesn't look as though there is anything else that can be done to change this. 

If there is a show that is being recorded via suggestions that you like, why not set up a series link instead Smiley Happy

Hope that helps. 

Thanks,

Kath_F
Forum Team

Tech fan? Have you read our Digital life blog yet? Check it out

0 Kudos
hippyclone
Dialled in
Message 7 of 7
Flag for a moderator

Looks like we're stuck with how it works; if a suggestion starts late the end may be missing.

I normally do series link suggestions if I find them interesting and deserving of that, but I mostly use suggestions for when I've watched everything I want to watch, there's nothing live, not enough time to fit a DVD in, and I can't be bothered looking through catch-ups :-)

Separate My Show sections for 'definitely want to record' and 'might want to watch when there's nothing else on' as well as 'suggestions' might help but that's an entirely new rabbit hole to go down.

Many thanks for checking.

0 Kudos