Menu
Malone
Joining in
Message 1 of 4
Flag for a moderator

Exporting recordings from Tivo

Can you export recorded programmes from Tivo ?  You could with earlier boxes although I never managed it to a VHS recorder - DVD recorder required ?

0 Kudos

Helpful Answers
Superuser
Superuser
Message 4 of 4
Flag for a moderator
Helpful Answer

Re: Exporting recordings from Tivo

LOL your doing grand, age isn't a factor. Plenty of younger people ask more straightforward questions, and its nice to have someone more mature on board.

To answer your question honestly, no the TiVo is no better with regard to getting programs off it. The devices (both the V+ box you have, and TiVo) are specifically designed to be difficult to get programs off for copyright protection. You can copy SCART to SCART (yes VHS will work) by playing the program in real time and recording it as it is playing. So you would need a DVD or VHS recorder with SCART IN and SCART OUT.

TiVo/V+ box connected to SCART IN, TV to SCART OUT, play the recording on the box, hit record on the recording device and your away.

0 Kudos

All Replies
Superuser
Superuser
Message 2 of 4
Flag for a moderator

You can record the SCART output in real time, so should be possible to record to VHS if thats your bag. Even with a DVD recorder it will only ever be an SD recording. Or you could record it digitally with a SCART to PC type thingy, still in SD

Catch up is a better option IMHO.  Where are you posting from? 1982? Smiley Happy sorry, i couldn't resist...

0 Kudos
Malone
Joining in
Message 3 of 4
Flag for a moderator

As you can tell, I am not a great one for up to date devices at age 78.  Worse still I did not make my query clear enough. I have some recorded items in "My Shows" which I would like to extract and send to an aged uncle.  I theory my pre-Tivo box had a procedure for this but despite a long call to Virgin, it never worked. Is the much publicised Tivo any better at this if at all ?

0 Kudos
Superuser
Superuser
Message 4 of 4
Flag for a moderator
Helpful Answer

LOL your doing grand, age isn't a factor. Plenty of younger people ask more straightforward questions, and its nice to have someone more mature on board.

To answer your question honestly, no the TiVo is no better with regard to getting programs off it. The devices (both the V+ box you have, and TiVo) are specifically designed to be difficult to get programs off for copyright protection. You can copy SCART to SCART (yes VHS will work) by playing the program in real time and recording it as it is playing. So you would need a DVD or VHS recorder with SCART IN and SCART OUT.

TiVo/V+ box connected to SCART IN, TV to SCART OUT, play the recording on the box, hit record on the recording device and your away.

0 Kudos