Menu
G4DDS
Rising star
Message 1 of 4
Flag for a moderator

Experiencing breakup - signal check request

Yesterday I got back from work and the folks complained that the living room box had been breaking up whilst watching ITV HD. It had stopped breaking up by this time and checking the diagnostics showed that there were no RS errors being reported.

However, I did notice that the three tuners were reporting SNR levels of 36/34/34 (tuners 0/1/2) and ITV HD was on tuner 2. I know for a fact that just a few weeks ago these levels were in the region of 37db.

Checking my bedroom box (which has a HDU fitted) I can see that signal levels are in the region of 37db and although I am not experiencing any breakup a few weeks ago these levels were around 40db.

It looks as though over the past few weeks we have lost around 3db which seems to have pushed the living room box close to its limit that it can handle.

Today, I was informed that whilst I was at work BBC1 HD was breaking up but again it had sorted itself out by the time I was back from work. I have asked them to record it the next time it is breaking up.

Is it possible I could have a signal level check? Based on previous experience last year with picture breakup 34db seems quite low.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Services: 200Mb BB, XL TV (with Sky Sports & Movies) + HD supplement, Talk More Anytime
Equipment: Super Hub 3, 2 x 1Tb TiVo's, Hudl 2 (Android 5.1), Moto G4 Plus (Android 6.0.1), Panasonic LCD TV TX-L32G20B & Plasma TV TX-P42S30B
0 Kudos
Forum Team
Forum Team
Message 2 of 4
Flag for a moderator

Re: Experiencing breakup - signal check request

Hey G4DDS

I'm sorry to learn about the picture problems your household is experiencing at the moment.

I've located your account and run some tests on the set top box from our end for you, we're seeing no problems being detected. Also for a range of SNR, 34dB would show as within range so I wouldn't expect any problems with that result.

I hope this helps and these issues were just a one off, if you notice anything moving forward you know where to find usMan Happy

Take care

Craig

New around here? To find out more about the Community check out our Getting Started guide

0 Kudos
G4DDS
Rising star
Message 3 of 4
Flag for a moderator

Have seen problems over the past few days however at the moment both boxes are breaking up with loss of signal and a large number of RS errors but as reported here:

http://community.virginmedia.com/t5/Virgin-Media-TiVo-service/B63-Halesowen-area-area-problems/m-p/3...

this is a known problem in our area at the moment (several neighbours reporting the same).

When this is resolved I will keep an eye on the boxes.

About the SNR of 34db - what is the lower limit as I have definitely had problems a couple of years ago when it was around 32db. Also what do you reckon signal strength levels should be?

Although the signal level readings themselves seem misleading as as Cisco boxes always report 100% (when there is any signal) or 0% (when there is nothing) whereas Samsung boxes seem to be in the range of 25% to 45%.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Services: 200Mb BB, XL TV (with Sky Sports & Movies) + HD supplement, Talk More Anytime
Equipment: Super Hub 3, 2 x 1Tb TiVo's, Hudl 2 (Android 5.1), Moto G4 Plus (Android 6.0.1), Panasonic LCD TV TX-L32G20B & Plasma TV TX-P42S30B
0 Kudos
G4DDS
Rising star
Message 4 of 4
Flag for a moderator

The above area problem was resolved and signal strengths are now looking alot healthier in that we seem to have regained that 3db that I noticed we had lost.

However, today the folks said that the living room box lost signal a couple of times so I asked them to let me know when it happened again. At 5:23 they shouted me to say they had lost the signal on BBC One HD.

A short while later I checked my bedroom box and I had two live buffers that covered the time at 5:23 and I can confirm that there is breakup and a jump which is the symptoms you see when playing back a recording (or delayed TV) when you lose the signal.

I took a couple of screen captures from my box from Channel 5 HD and Sky News HD which happened to be in my live TV buffers. I pause it at the point where the signal problems occurred and left the play bar on screen so you can see it was at 5:23.

Sky News HDSky News HD

Channel 5 HDChannel 5 HD

As both boxes experienced loss of signal at 5:23 I can only deduce the problem is not related to individual box wiring but an external problem either with the brown box on the outside of the house or somewhere on the VM network.

Some further help with this would be much appreciated.

0 Kudos