Menu
Westyman
Tuning in
Message 1 of 12
Flag for a moderator

Ethernet connection between 2 boxes

Not really a question but a comment.
I have just had my second TiVo box installed. After researching the website I found that two TiVo boxes can be linked by Ethernet cable. I duly, prior to the new box coming, arranged for a Ethernet cable with wall sockets installed between the two locations. I can now watch programmes recorded on one box on the other box. Excellent.
However, neither the Virgin shop in town, the online or telephone help, nor the installer were aware of this function. Seems odd.
Superuser
Superuser
Message 2 of 12
Flag for a moderator

Re: Ethernet connection between 2 boxes

It's mentioned somewhere on the VM website, though it could be a little more obvious tbh!

TV: XL+SkySports V6
BB: 200Mbps SuperHub: Arris
Loc: ME10
    Please use the Search feature before starting a new thread
To thank or if you Like a post, use the Kudos +button. If it's an answer to your query, click Options.
Finally, if all else fails, take a deep breath and remember there's more to life than the internet and TV!
0 Kudos
Westyman
Tuning in
Message 3 of 12
Flag for a moderator

Though it works, it seems to struggle if the recordings are in HD. Something to do with data rate via the Ethernet?
0 Kudos
Superuser
Superuser
Message 4 of 12
Flag for a moderator

If you have a direct cable connection between the two of them then there should be more than enough availabile bandwidth to stream HD content.

To thank or if you Like a post, use the Kudos +button. If it's an answer to your query, click Options.
Finally, if all else fails, take a deep breath and remember there's more to life than the internet and TV!
0 Kudos
Westyman
Tuning in
Message 5 of 12
Flag for a moderator

I'd have thought so too. But an HD recording kept failing with network connection errors but a non-HD one ran the whole 35 mins without a hiccup. And yes, there's an Ethernet connection between the two, most of which is under the floor accessed via wall sockets either end. One TiVo to wall is a brand new cable, the other is one out of my drawer of "useful cables". TiVo to TiVo is about 6-7m

0 Kudos
Superuser
Superuser
Message 6 of 12
Flag for a moderator

First thought would be to replace the cable from the drawer, but a speed test across the connection would give some confidence in the quality of the wiring at least.

0 Kudos
Westyman
Tuning in
Message 7 of 12
Flag for a moderator

Can I run a speed test from the TiVo?

0 Kudos
Superuser
Superuser
Message 8 of 12
Flag for a moderator

Unfortunately not. The best means to try it would be to use the cable to conduct an off peak speed test from a laptop on one end to your Superhub at the other.

0 Kudos
Westyman
Tuning in
Message 9 of 12
Flag for a moderator

Mmmm......not practical really. The Superhub is upstairs a long way from either TiVo. But thank-you for the suggestion. 

PrinterElf wrote:

Unfortunately not. The best means to try it would be to use the cable to conduct an off peak speed test from a laptop on one end to your Superhub at the other.

0 Kudos
frank_gm
Community elder
Message 10 of 12
Flag for a moderator

Westyman wrote:

Mmmm......not practical really. The Superhub is upstairs a long way from either TiVo. But thank-you for the suggestion. 

PrinterElf wrote:

I am slightly confused because you mentioned " wall sockets installed between the two locations" above. Does that mean that you have a point-to-point connection between the two Tivos rather than both via your hub?

Nice to be able to post again, after their mistake (removed by the Censorship team).
¡No Pasarán!
0 Kudos