Hey. I have had the error code c133 showing up on my home page for about a week now.I didn't report it originally as there were faults in the area but they have been resolved. I have run a test and restarted my equipment but I'm still getting the error code.
Thank you for coming in and welcome into the Community
I am sorry to read that you've had some issues on the C133 error, it's never the best when this happens.
I have see the TiVo from here and the levels are looking really healthy which is great. I was able to look a little more and I'm, afraid I have found a detectable issue on the broadband. If you can have a little look inside your 'Inbox', you'll see I've sent you a 'Private Message'. You can find this at the top right of the page, purple envelope